• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people hate DmC Dante so much?

Why do you like DmC Dante?

• Total voters

crush

Because they are irrational, deluded, whiny, and entitled. That is the only explanation for sustaining hate for 2 years. They think Capcom owes them something, but Capcom doesn't owe them ****.

Ooh. let's have Dante throw roses and sit in a gun platform and next we have Vergil bare a child with a big blue arm!
It's for the fans!
That's why I hate 4 you know...fanservice should not be too much noticable because it spawns idiots.

heatlancer

1# Trickster
i used to hate him because he was ugly as ****, he looked like a proper drug addict

he's come along way since then, but damn, i can't believe some people actually liked that look

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Because they are irrational, deluded, whiny, and entitled. That is the only explanation for sustaining hate for 2 years. They think Capcom owes them something, but Capcom doesn't owe them ****.

Ooh. let's have Dante throw roses and sit in a gun platform and next we have Vergil bare a child with a big blue arm!
It's for the fans!
That's why I hate 4 you know...fanservice should not be too much noticable because it spawns idiots.

And this is why you only see troll comments from the anti side, a lot of the time we are insulted and patronized for saying our opinion even when posted respectfully or when we post decent concerns or legitimate feedback regarding our opinions. Whenever we try it's always "hurr, durr just angry cause of hair" or "haters gonna hate, you just can't accept change"

Respect guys, it works both ways.

Why do I hate DmC Dante so much?

Lots of reasons, in fact there is nothing I do like about him. But if you want to know the initial reason I didn't like him, it was because he represented the death of one of my favorite canons of all time when I was looking forward to the series and it's characters progressing through future games, regardless of how many of you think the series was "un-salvagable" from a story aspect.

However I understand that is a rather silly reason to dislike a character but since then I have had a plethora of things presented to me that I don't like about his character such as overall personality, attitude, the language he uses (not just the swearing, I could get over that personally) I also find the story premise they have presented to us convoluted and not something I would go for. I have seen a lot of reboots/re-imagings/*whatever Capcom wants to call this to get less hate* and Westernizing of certain franchises and while some do it well, most of the time they don't. Everything that has been released so far reminds me of the less well done reboots.

Also I'm aware of the arguments thrown around when any negativity is said on this game such as comparing it to what people felt were the flaws of the old games (usually regarding Dantes one-liners and cheesy attitude) and the fact the game isn't out yet (hinting at major character development into something I MUST love because I haven't played the game yet so don't know how Dino will turn out) so please spare me, I can respect that people look forward to the game, however to me it looks like a terrible game on all levels and even though it does represent the dis-continuation of a canon I love, the reasons I dislike it are not the same.

TL;DR I don't dislike change, I dislike what the series (represented by Dante) has been changed into.

crush

Oh..sorry mate. Your answer is very understandable than the others and I didn't mean to offend you.
But the other fans don't even seem to take any new info of the sort or a chance at all and claim themselves master of the DMC series.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
And this is why you only see troll comments from the anti side, a lot of the time we are insulted and patronized for saying our opinion even when posted respectfully or when we post decent concerns or legitimate feedback regarding our opinions. Whenever we try it's always "hurr, durr just angry cause of hair" or "haters gonna hate, you just can't accept change"

Lots of reasons, in fact there is nothing I do like about him. But if you want to know the initial reason I didn't like him, it was because he represented the death of one of my favorite canons of all time when I was looking forward to the series and it's characters progressing through future games, regardless of how many of you think the series was "un-salvagable" from a story aspect.

However I understand that is a rather silly reason to dislike a character but since then I have had a plethora of things presented to me that I don't like about his character such as overall personality, attitude, the language he uses (not just the swearing, I could get over that personally) I also find the story premise they have presented to us convoluted and not something I would go for. I have seen a lot of reboots/re-imagings/*whatever Capcom wants to call this to get less hate* and Westernizing of certain franchises and while some do it well, most of the time they don't. Everything that has been released so far reminds me of the less well done reboots.

Also I'm aware of the arguments thrown around when any negativity is said on this game such as comparing it to what people felt were the flaws of the old games (usually regarding Dantes one-liners and cheesy attitude) and the fact the game isn't out yet (hinting at major character development into something I MUST love because I haven't played the game yet so don't know how Dino will turn out) so please spare me, I can respect that people look forward to the game, however to me it looks like a terrible game on all levels and even though it does represent the dis-continuation of a canon I love, the reasons I dislike it are not the same.

TL;DR I don't dislike change, I dislike what the series (represented by Dante) has been changed into.
No hate. I'm just glad I could understand why you don't like it.^_^

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
No hate. I'm just glad I could understand why you don't like it.^_^

Def man, you've always been respectful towards me which I've appreciated and I think we get on when we talk even though we have a difference of opinion.

*brofist*

EDIT:
Oh..sorry mate. Your answer is very understandable than the others and I didn't mean to offend you.
But the other fans don't even seem to take any new info of the sort or a chance at all and claim themselves master of the DMC series.

No worries man and thanks, I understand that it does get frustrating hearing people complain all the time (especially if it's about something you are looking forward to) but remember we're not all d**** ;)

Like it was said 2 years is a long time to complain about something, so people like myself don't really post about it anymore and as a result you only see the bad side. I tend to lurk mainly now which is a shame because I used to be a fairly active member at one point it's just, honestly, I'm exhausted with the whole situation now. The games development has been strung out so long it would have just been nice if it was released sooner so I could forget about it (and you guys can enjoy it) and there has been so much conflict it gets hard to remain civil at times especially when you add in the bad PR and the fact DMC fans that don't like the new direction are often ridiculed by "journalist" websites and other places.

However the thing I try and remember is it isn't anyone's fault, no one means to patronize or offend others, I think that the way it's played out people just jump on the bandwagon for the drama or overly defend Capcom/NT as they have tried to play the victim throughout and the media has milked it quite hard considering for at least a last year the majority of feedback has been positive or the odd bit of blind hate from trolls. It's a shame, I feel in reality the true "victim" over the past two years has been the community itself.

Also sorry for the wall post again.

Dante may CRY

Well, I think Enslaved had that problem a bit with the 'Ninja Theory showing us what we wanted to see' because except for the first trailer, it didn't really dive into the whole concept that Monkey was being enslaved against will. The later trailers played it that they were buddies on an adventure. The thing with trailers are, they don't paint the full picture. In fact if you were to work it right you could make a trailer that is misleading to the actual material.

On number 1, is that really a bad thing? There was a lot of backlash so it is understandable why they would tweak things around a bit (also gettng him to dump the smokes even). So here is the question you have to ask yourself: Why critic the game for changing Dante to look more like the original Dante (in facial appearance and personality) when that's what's most of us were angry about him lacking in the first place? Hyper's arguement on him not behaving like someone who was tortured doesn't make sense, because people react do differently to abuse. If you want a good example of that go watch the film Good Will Hunting, that featured a similar character that made wise-crack comments and acted much like Dante in a way, but he turned out to have suffered abuse from his father and was an orphan. So yes, maybe they did change him. But the anger in that character for what he's had done is still there and plays when he's fighting and mocks demons.

With number 2, well...I think that might be what fans are struggling to accept about the old games and what hasn't really hit them yet. So, forgive me if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth. =(

The original games, they're over.

Just like the old Tomb Raiders, I'm never going to see any of those anymore. Lara's gotten a full reboot now. And Silent Hills as well, their formula changed, no more adventures from James or Heather from the original games, even though they could've done it, they didn't. You think I'm not sad about that? Of course I am, I'm furious they've changed that series. If I'd had gotten into Devil May Cry before hand I think be upset about it too.

The sad thing you have to accept though is...nothing lasts forever. A game, a film, a tv series, they all end whether we want them to or not. But what about adaptations? How many times has Oliver Twist been redone? The Spiderman film remake recently, it's different from the first 3 films but is it bad off for that? Things change. It's hard to accept that change when DMC4 didn't go out on a high note (or maybe it did if you think about the way Dante, Trish and Lady burst through those doors guns blazing and smiling). But, you have to accept DmC is an adaptation of that series. Just like how the Sherlock Holmes gets new adaptations even after all these years. They're never going to be exactly the same.

If DmC fails, Devil May Cry is gone. You may never see it again. Just as much as I keep hoping for the old Silent Hill formula, it's not going to get a continuation. Regardless a new adaptation on something isn't stomping on what made the original so great. It's just a new take that some will or won't like, whatever that series might be.

So um...please don't eat me :'( *holds up flower*

Alittleacorn u r right in some points but what i think the reason of all that hate for the new dante and the reboot is that Devil may Cry didnt really need it since they had introduced nero as a new character in DMC4 and there are still a lot of questions open , Like who is Nero and if he is related in some way to Dante
and for me the reason DMC4 dindt go out on a high note is that the game was one of the firsts for the ps3 and to be honest not everybody had 350 bucks for the console and other 50 -60 for the game , ur are right that everything has an end but it could had be a much more worthy end for the series as just cut it out and reboot it , the new dante dont bother me very much any more its much more the attitude of the ninja theory tameem who reacted with the sentence " the old fans are fools " many of the old fans and myself grew up with dante so it is normal that the first reaction of those very negative because we all were waiting for a sequel but as many of u said we have to wait and who knows maybe if this DmC is gonna sucks they will continue the series with DMC5 and give the game to platinium games to be done DONT KILL ME PLZ =)

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Alittleacorn u r right in some points but what i think the reason of all that hate for the new dante and the reboot is that Devil may Cry didnt really need it since they had introduced nero as a new character in DMC4 and there are still a lot of questions open , Like who is Nero and if he is related in some way to Dante
and for me the reason DMC4 dindt go out on a high note is that the game was one of the firsts for the ps3 and to be honest not everybody had 350 bucks for the console and other 50 -60 for the game , ur are right that everything has an end but it could had be a much more worthy end for the series as just cut it out and reboot it , the new dante dont bother me very much any more its much more the attitude of the ninja theory tameem who reacted with the sentence " the old fans are fools " many of the old fans and myself grew up with dante so it is normal that the first reaction of those very negative because we all were waiting for a sequel but as many of u said we have to wait and who knows maybe if this DmC is gonna sucks they will continue the series with DMC5 and give the game to platinium games to be done DONT KILL ME PLZ =)

Please try not to type using small font sizes. Not everyone feels comfortable reading such a long paragraph while squinting.

kryptoknight

While I disagree with what you think, I like the way you worded it.

Dante may CRY

as a reboot of course i dont really like the way this new DMC looks not the design but it just dont give me this DEVIL MAY CRY feeling i got with the earlier games i apologies if some of you are lookin for it and are ****ed of all the " I HATE THE NEW DANTE BLA BLA BLA"comments dont put all old DMC fans in one bag . i dont care anymore his look anymore furthermore , the only thing i really dont like is the Developer. My opinion is that the only studio that would have made everyone happy ( old AND new fans) should have been Platinium games known for games like bayonetta vanquish Metal gear solid rising revangeance etc ,known for fast and stylish action games. I really hope that this DmC is like an alternative and plays like its been said in a early stadium in different universe and that Capcom would allow platinium games with the development of DMC 5 an worthy end to the old series sorry if i may **** somebody off but thats just may opinion and i hope that for those who are lookin for this game a lot of fun while playing it ( no its not sarcasm!! )

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
as a reboot of course i dont really like the way this new DMC looks not the design but it just dont give me this DEVIL MAY CRY feeling i got with the earlier games i apologies if some of you are lookin for it and are ****ed of all the " I HATE THE NEW DANTE BLA BLA BLA"comments dont put all old DMC fans in one bag . i dont care anymore his look anymore furthermore , the only thing i really dont like is the Developer. My opinion is that the only studio that would have made everyone happy ( old AND new fans) should have been Platinium games known for games like bayonetta vanquish Metal gear solid rising revangeance etc ,known for fast and stylish action games. I really hope that this DmC is like an alternative and plays like its been said in a early stadium in different universe and that Capcom would allow platinium games with the development of DMC 5 an worthy end to the old series sorry if i may **** somebody off but thats just may opinion and i hope that for those who are lookin for this game a lot of fun while playing it ( no its not sarcasm!! )
i agree with everything you say. i for one love the new direction its awesome but i still think that it capcom should have completed the old series rather then leaving us with alot more questions and then shelving the game and making a reboot or they could have made this a new game rather than calling it a devil may cry game (i'd go with the first option). this is the only reason why we have backlash from the old fans and its right capcom ****ed them all off by shelving the old game because they felt that the story wasnt going anywhere and for the platinum games making dmc 5 i think its also a bad (maybe. dont think im crazy) idea cuz no wonder what vision he has for devil may cry cuz he only did dmc 1 after that the dante we all came to love and know came from the vision of other people.

Dante may CRY

i agree with everything you say. i for one love the new direction its awesome but i still think that it capcom should have completed the old series rather then leaving us with alot more questions and then shelving the game and making a reboot or they could have made this a new game rather than calling it a devil may cry game (i'd go with the first option). this is the only reason why we have backlash from the old fans and its right capcom ****ed them all off by shelving the old game because they felt that the story wasnt going anywhere and for the platinum games making dmc 5 i think its also a bad (maybe. dont think im crazy) idea cuz no wonder what vision he has for devil may cry cuz he only did dmc 1 after that the dante we all came to love and know came from the vision of other people.

hehe no i dont think ur crazy, yeah that was capcom biggest mistake , not to give the series a worthy end and for me i dont see why the story was going no where they could let dante fight his last Fight against Lucifer it self , just saying i think that in capcom they have enough writers who could have wrote a worthy end and answered all the questions like who Nero was and maybe even meet virgil in the underworld again ( i know he died but where else would u meet him again for sure not in heaven :p), the only reason why the old fans and myself are really ****ed of is because we waited almost 4 years for Devil may cry 5 a game where u play only DANTE and then we had to find out that the game we grew up with have been rebooted i think that its normal that the new dante looks different and even fight in a different way ( from the trailers the new dante has a lot in common with Neros gameplay) because ninja theory wanted to make clear that this is a new DmC , as said before i really hope that for the ones who are looking for it will not get disapointed and that u ll enjoy this game like i had enjoyed the old series ( yeah even DmC2 hehe) and that capcom really make a gift to the old series by finish it for good with a Super cool and worthy end

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Check out the video "Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character," by HyperBitHero on YouTube. He does a well thought out critique of his thoughts on the new Dante. Kind of got me thinking, what do fans that support the reboot think about the new Dante? What are your reasons for liking or disliking him?
You know...
I'm looking at this and thinking...this guy is taking it way too seriously.
This game is a parody of society. A somewhat obnoxious one, but a parody nonetheless.
If we have a main character who is a jerk, can't the creators be saying something? Besides, can't we have a douche bag main character who isn't Travis Touchdown or Deadpool?
This video brings up good points, but it is also very subjective and biased. People like me would disagree, while people like my parents would agree 99%.

On the note of the developers changing him...yes, it's very weird that they changed him from this serious looking freak to a punk. But realize this is a developmental process? As in, things change. Realize that maybe, just maybe they decided to change him up a bit because they felt like they should, not because people would whine.
I'm working on a novel that went through 3 iterations, and the main character's personality is so dramatically different from each. And I'm still tweaking his character to be the main character I want him to be.
Besides, did we really know Dante's character from just one video? Really?

On the note of his Devil Trigger. I actually agree with this. I wish they had a cooler Devil Trigger...oh well. But saying it's just to appeal to fans is only half right in my eyes. It can be symbolism, or just inspiration, not a need to appeal to the fans. If some people smile along the way, then good--Ninja Theory isn't losing anything.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You know...
I'm looking at this and thinking...this guy is taking it way too seriously.
This game is a parody of society. A somewhat obnoxious one, but a parody nonetheless.
If we have a main character who is a jerk, can't the creators be saying something? Besides, can't we have a douche bag main character who isn't Travis Touchdown or Deadpool?
This video brings up good points, but it is also very subjective and biased. People like me would disagree, while people like my parents would agree 99%.

Did you just call Deadpool a Deuchebag :mad:

He's my freaking hero man!

Though really, he isn't as much of a deuchebag as much as a smartass.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Yeah...Deadpool's a douchebag. Awesome and hilarious, but still a douche nonetheless.

Top Bottom