• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Worst Moment in Devil May Cry 4

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Im gunna have no choice but to do it what is it one hit kills you right?

Whut? No. WHAT? That's not seriously in the game, is it? OMG I'm never going to clock this thing.
I haven't reached DMD mode yet. I've got a few missions left before I'm through with Devil Hunter mode.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Whut? No. WHAT? That's not seriously in the game, is it? OMG I'm never going to clock this thing.
I haven't reached DMD mode yet. I've got a few missions left before I'm through with Devil Hunter mode.

Im just going through and s ranking human now and finishing tyhe secret missions after that s rank devil hunter and then on to sos but yah dude there is a diffuculty where if you get hit once your dead lol better get ready this parties gettin crazy!!!

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Im just going through and s ranking human now and finishing tyhe secret missions after that s rank devil hunter and then on to sos but yah dude there is a diffuculty where if you get hit once your dead lol better get ready this parties gettin crazy!!!

:blink:
That's insane. Now I'm going to have to practice not getting hit on the lower levels. Dammit. >_<

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
:blink:
That's insane. Now I'm going to have to practice not getting hit on the lower levels. Dammit. >_<

It's not as bad as it sounds. The difficulty is called Hell or Hell mode and when playing it you actually get 3 gold orbs at the top of the screen. Every time you get hit you die but you automatically use one of the orbs at the top of the screen and get revived, so you technically have 3 hits before you "die"
The orbs are also completely regenerated when you do die (continue or game over screen) and the checkpoints are quite lenient. So as long as you can do each fight in about 3 hits you should be fine. Plus the enemies only have (roughly) SoS health and A.I, they also can't D.T. I would say DMD is harder personally.

My worst bit on DMC4 is the stupid Gyro mini-game before Nero fights Bael, or Mission 18.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's not as bad as it sounds. The difficulty is called Hell or Hell mode and when playing it you actually get 3 gold orbs at the top of the screen. Every time you get hit you die but you automatically use one of the orbs at the top of the screen and get revived, so you technically have 3 hits before you "die"
The orbs are also completely regenerated when you do die (continue or game over screen) and the checkpoints are quite lenient. So as long as you can do each fight in about 3 hits you should be fine. Plus the enemies only have (roughly) SoS health and A.I, they also can't D.T. I would say DMD is harder personally.

My worst bit on DMC4 is the stupid Gyro mini-game before Nero fights Bael, or Mission 18.

Wait - they give you 3 gold orbs at the top of the screen in DMC4, as well? Or are you talking about DmC?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh wow. I didn't know that. Sorta funny when people complained about DmC doing it, as if it made the mode too easy. I suppose people really are sticklers for DMC3.

SpawnShooter

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Sorta funny when people complained about DmC doing it, as if it made the mode too easy. I suppose people really are sticklers for DMC3.

People complained about that? haha.
I'm fairly certain DMC3 doesn't even have a Hell or Hell mode, though I'm not denying it's a much harder game and the ranking system is much tighter.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought DMC3 did. Or maybe it was just Heaven and Hell mode I'm thinking of. I know it had that one. Upon further inspection, DMC3 didn't have Hell and Hell @_@ Well then.

But yeah, I remember seeing some people complain about that when they announced the Hell and Hell difficulty returning, and people got all whiny about the three Gold Orbs being present :/

SpawnShooter

That's just ridiculous.

Though I have seen a lot of complaints about certain gameplay things from people like JCs being made easier etc, etc and thought to myself Wow, if there are this many pro players around why is the YouTube "community" so dead.
I'm not saying that some of them are not legit complaints, but I think that a lot of the people that make them often are not entirely sure what they are talking about.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh definitely. I think there was a whole lot of parroting going on. Where someone made a slightly valid complaint somewhere, and everyone ran with it as if they knew all about it. My favorite is still the people who say you can just spam Triangle and get a high Style grade, when in fact doing so nets you the same amount of Style as you'd get from DMC3 or 4 - a low C. One combo gets you up to high D, the next repetition gets you to the low C, and then you get nothing else after that.

I do agree that the Style system in DmC is more lenient (mostly with the Style retention thing), but I get why, too, since they said it was to make up for the boost gained from Taunts (which don't exist), and to not encourage people to become so aggressive in keeping their Style up that they make silly mistakes and lose it in the process.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I still feels complaints about the Style scoring is a little meh anyway, since it boils down to nothing more than a reward-boosting mechanic. In DMC, all I ever cared about was doing some really cool sh!t. Retaining my Style was a nice secondary goal for me, but that's what it was for me, retaining it, not so much getting it up super high. If I did, it was just a sweet bonus.

I'm an odd duck, though. I'm casual enough to not care about certain things like that, but...I'm hardcore because I looooove getting really in-depth.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman

Im actually looking forward to the harder levels:) i cant wait to push myself in terms of the gameplay and strategy

SpawnShooter

Oh definitely. I think there was a whole lot of parroting going on. Where someone made a slightly valid complaint somewhere, and everyone ran with it as if they knew all about it. My favorite is still the people who say you can just spam Triangle and get a high Style grade, when in fact doing so nets you the same amount of Style as you'd get from DMC3 or 4 - a low C. One combo gets you up to high D, the next repetition gets you to the low C, and then you get nothing else after that.

I do agree that the Style system in DmC is more lenient (mostly with the Style retention thing), but I get why, too, since they said it was to make up for the boost gained from Taunts (which don't exist), and to not encourage people to become so aggressive in keeping their Style up that they make silly mistakes and lose it in the process.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I still feels complaints about the Style scoring is a little meh anyway, since it boils down to nothing more than a reward-boosting mechanic. In DMC, all I ever cared about was doing some really cool sh!t. Retaining my Style was a nice secondary goal for me, but that's what it was for me, retaining it, not so much getting it up super high. If I did, it was just a sweet bonus.

I'm an odd duck, though. I'm casual enough to not care about certain things like that, but...I'm hardcore because I looooove getting really in-depth.

I think the Style Point System on a whole works ok, it's just let down by a couple of things that make it look bad. For example there are a lot of crowd control moves/moves with long range so the Style Bar will be increasing quickly, it has to be like this else you just wouldn't get enough off a single enemy. There are also a few too many extra bonuses you can receive like all the dodge, flawless and multi kills that people don't think of. But like you said as far as the basic functionality of it goes it's ok, there's just a couple of things that let it down.

But I don't think the Style Bar has ever really worked that well outside of an indicator for damage and spamming, in reality it doesn't reward you for being stylish, it punishes you for relying on one move or getting hit. It doesn't correlate with high level play very well either and for all it's efforts at spam prevention, it's very easily manipulated. But it's just such an iconic part of the HUD to remove, though you are right complaining about it is a little silly (at least in a game where you have all your load out at the same time)

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I think the Style Point System on a whole works ok, it's just let down by a couple of things that make it look bad. For example there are a lot of crowd control moves/moves with long range so the Style Bar will be increasing quickly, it has to be like this else you just wouldn't get enough off a single enemy. There are also a few too many extra bonuses you can receive like all the dodge, flawless and multi kills that people don't think of. But like you said as far as the basic functionality of it goes it's ok, there's just a couple of things that let it down.

But I don't think the Style Bar has ever really worked that well outside of an indicator for damage and spamming, in reality it doesn't reward you for being stylish, it punishes you for relying on one move or getting hit. It doesn't correlate with high level play very well either and for all it's efforts at spam prevention, it's very easily manipulated. But it's just such an iconic part of the HUD to remove, though you are right complaining about it is a little silly (at least in a game where you have all your load out at the same time)[/quot

I hate how fast your style bar drops sometimes and its like "but i didnt plan to launch the guy across the map" lol

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

But I don't think the Style Bar has ever really worked that well outside of an indicator for damage and spamming, in reality it doesn't reward you for being stylish, it punishes you for relying on one move or getting hit. It doesn't correlate with high level play very well either and for all it's efforts at spam prevention, it's very easily manipulated. But it's just such an iconic part of the HUD to remove, though you are right complaining about it is a little silly (at least in a game where you have all your load out at the same time)

Yeah, that sorta always got me. It never really did perfectly exemplify "stylish action" other than encouraging you to mix up a lot of different moves to prevent Style degradation.

It was also so silly to care so much about the Style mechanic when people talking about "being pro" overlooked the whole fact that TrueStyle stuff never counts the actual Style meter, and it's all about how stylish it looks. It was just really weird hearing people complain so adamantly about a system that equated to patting you on the back and giving you more cookies >.<

I hate how fast your style bar drops sometimes and its like "but i didnt plan to launch the guy across the map" lol

Y'know, that's some thing that I was happy both Nero in DMC4 and DmC tried to correct. It sucked a little that so many attacks would knock things away, and trying to keep the Style meter up with shooting while slowly walking forward wasn't enough. I felt it was a godsend to have the Devil Bringer, and I was happy to see something similar return with Ophion in DmC. I'm just an aggressive player (I play mostly rushdowns in fighters), so sometimes I jus' dun like not being able to hit stuff. I have gotten used to situating enemies between me and a close wall though :3

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Yeah, that sorta always got me. It never really did perfectly exemplify "stylish action" other than encouraging you to mix up a lot of different moves to prevent Style degradation.

It was also so silly to care so much about the Style mechanic when people talking about "being pro" overlooked the whole fact that TrueStyle stuff never counts the actual Style meter, and it's all about how stylish it looks. It was just really weird hearing people complain so adamantly about a system that equated to patting you on the back and giving you more cookies >_<

Y'know, that's some thing that I was happy both Nero in DMC4 and DmC tried to correct. It sucked a little that so many attacks would knock things away, and trying to keep the Style meter up with shooting while slowly walking forward wasn't enough. I felt it was a godsend to have the Devil Bringer, and I was happy to see something similar return with Ophion in DmC. I'm just an aggressive player (I play mostly rushdowns in fighters), so sometimes I jus' dun like not being able to hit stuff. I have gotten used to situating enemies between me and a close wall though :3

Loved the devil bringer it made stringer attacks and blocking other attacks and stunning enemies and staying airborne so much easier lol nero is my fav character to play as

SpawnShooter

Well Nero kind of needs the DB because he doesn't have many practical ways to avoid moves that knock the enemy back like Dante can with weapon switches, guard canceling or just his access to so many moves.

In fact that's the primary reason Jump Cancelling should be used, not to spam jump and attack mid-air, but to use it to prevent moves that would otherwise end the combo.

You should try and get the hang of canceling out before you get the knock back moves, plus it'd fit better with your rush down play style. For a good example of crazy "rushdown" check out a player called incNeet.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I'm surprised I haven't come here, sooner. Also, I must be one of very few people who didn't outright hate the dice game. I mean, you know you guys can manipulate which spots you land on, right? XD Sorry, sorry...totally had to tease the hell out of some of you.

Actually, I use the dice game in Mission 19 pretty often when I want to get a ton of red orbs. Of course, there are other missions that provide me with this just as well, but occasionally, I just like to work on some of my skills with Nero, and what better way than to toy with some lesser demons?

Anyway, on to stuff that bugs me (even if only a little).

-Nero is a lot more emotional than what I'm used to. Not exactly a bad thing per se, (and like others have said, I like Johnny Yong Bosch quite a bit) but...I dunno. I kind of wish he'd dialled some of the screaming and crying down. Just a bit. Otherwise, I could understand his frustration (having Kyrie snatched from his fingers countless times).

-Certain cutscenes look better than others; that is to say, the character models look great in some of the scenes, and a little weird in some of the others. I won't give examples, because if I point specific ones out, someone who may have otherwise liked those scenes will start to notice, and find themselves bothered by it. People have unwittingly done this to me, so I'm sparing others from the same frustration. ;)

-Backtracking (as most have said, no doubt). While I don't mind it too much, I really would have loved if they'd brought in a wider selection of enemies. Yes, the basilisks (seriously Agnus, why did you name your creations that? They're flaming hell hounds, not reptilian creatures that turn you to stone!) originally only show up for the first time during Mission 16 with Dante (from SOS and on, they show up in Fortuna Castle for Nero's missions) but aside from that, we really don't get to fully expand our skills with Dante, since we already know how most of the enemies behave from our missions with Nero, earlier. I don't even mind that Dante faced the same bosses and destroyed the Hell Gates-I just wish he'd had more to accomplish than that, and re-acquiring Yamato.

-Plot holes. Capcom are a-holes for thinking that Nero's origins are "clear". Evidently it's not clear, since people still argue about it to this day. And like the sadistic ba$tards they are, they refuse to actually answer the question now, because they love the fact that people are still talking about it. Damn attention wh*res...>.<

That stuff aside, I love-no, adore-the game. It's my favourite depiction of Dante (what can I say? I'm a sucker for a guy with his sense of humour) and I find the gaming rather enjoyable.

Rolanthas

-Plot holes. Capcom are a-holes for thinking that Nero's origins are "clear". Evidently it's not clear, since people still argue about it to this day. And like the sadistic ba$tards they are, they refuse to actually answer the question now, because they love the fact that people are still talking about it. Damn attention wh*res...>.<

That stuff aside, I love-no, adore-the game. It's my favourite depiction of Dante (what can I say? I'm a sucker for a guy with his sense of humour) and I find the gaming rather enjoyable.

Duuude, DEAD ON for this. I also agree with most of your points, but this was one of my biggest disappointments with 4. I became convinced ,after finishing DMC4, that Capcom just doesn't want to do anything with the lore. Not that engaging storylines are a pillar of DMC, I know it's just a backdrop. But it's just insane to introduce a new playable character, then say NOTHING about his origins. Hell, Lucia got a ****ing origin!

And hell, implying he may be the son of Vergil actually makes it worse, no clarification. "What? How? WHEN?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom