• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would a Demon Block be more interesting than the Demon Dodge?

Furious D

Calm Stylish Fury
As a move, I find the Demon Dodge to be a little lackluster. The power-boost effect is nifty, but has been demonstrated to be a little unbalanced (though not game-breaking). Also, it's just the same dodge animation with an added aftereffect. Unlike the Angel Dodge, which modifies the dodge itself to change its properties and usefulness, the Demon Dodge only modifies moves you use after it in simplistic ways.

I think that a Demon Block would have been more interesting as a technique. RT+Evade to do a brief boxing-like block animation, maybe with a red surge of energy. The style of the Demon stance moves have emphasized stability and strength, so having Dante remain in a motionless guard, rather than having him remain as mobile as normal, seems more fitting for the stance, as well as making it a risk/reward move instead of almost strictly a safe reward (you are only penalized for dodging too late and being hit).

It would also be a way to re-integrate the Royal Guard techniques: Demon Block perfectly, get a parry. Imperfectly, you take damage. Imperfectly against strong attacks, and your block is broken. How Release is reworked is another matter. Change it to a power boost if you guard perfectly? Maybe have the red aura around Dante's hands represent the stored Demon Block power, Release with forward+forward+Evade? There are many possibilities.

What do you think?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I think that would have been a much better choice, and as you said I think it would be alot more fitting.
It would add yet another way to be stylish and it would also be incorporating a Royalguard move for fans of that style.
It would've just been more interesting and in my opinion more effective.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Coulda been nice; precision block to get the power boost.
It would kinda make more sense if you think about it too.
Dante gets extra boost after dodging - ?
Dante gets extra boost after blocking attack, absorbing the energy, and throwing it back at the enemy - We have a winner!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Although it'd be difficult to try and explain what the Evade buttons are supposed to be. More like "Defense" buttons, to encompass both evasion and blocking.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But then again, the Parry system that's in place now is pretty nice, and I sorta like that I can parry stuff mid-combo without the need for the designated guarding system. But yeah, Demon Block may have been just a bit more applicable to the Demon mode's "heavy" theme, standing your ground, while Angel mode's is about movement with that "weightless" theme.

Furious D

Calm Stylish Fury
Although it'd be difficult to try and explain what the Evade buttons are supposed to be. More like "Defense" buttons, to encompass both evasion and blocking.
There's already the very vague "Special Attack" button for Hightime, Helm Splitter, and other vertically-oriented attacks, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Furious D

Calm Stylish Fury
But then again, the Parry system that's in place now is pretty nice, and I sorta like that I can parry stuff mid-combo without the need for the designated guarding system. But yeah, Demon Block may have been just a bit more applicable to the Demon mode's "heavy" theme, standing your ground, while Angel mode's is about movement with that "weightless" theme.
I like the parry system, too, quite a bit. I don't think the two would exclude each other, but rather complement each other to accommodate a different playstyle. Plus, it's hard to parry when you see an attack coming and you're still in the recovery frames of your own strike.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
That makes so much sense.
Aaaggggh, why is it too late to put it into the current build D:

crush

How about giving a trade for one evade button for a block?
Angel for block and demon for release.
Perfect release will make a closeup killcam with a different animation.

crush

I really wanted to see
EXTREME ROYAL RELEASE! On my Stylish rank meter.
Or FLAWLESS GUARD! It's one of the cool things DmC could have done.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
They have a twitter account, if you want to send the idea their way. I somehow doubt it'll make it into the game itself, but it'll give them some food for thought. ^_^
I know I follow them on Twitter. :)
Maybe they could use it for a later DLC for Dante?

Furious D

Calm Stylish Fury
Also a additional achievement would do.
How about "Fit for a king."?
It works, but can we find an old DMC quote for it? Most of the achievements we've seen in the game have been references to previous games ("You'll Never Have Her Fire," and "It's Only The Rain" come to mind).

Top Bottom