• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Thoughts.

BoBo

Personally I'm leaning on being satisfied with the direction dmc5 seems to be taking. There's enough of a mix of old and new and I can observe the good parts of the old games being integrated into this new chapter.

What bothers me the most is that Dante isn't getting any special attention anymore. To me, I'll be playing as Nero and V just so that I get to play as Dante at some point in the game. I know I know, Itsuno didn't know what to do with Dante after dmc1 but that's his lack of inspiration not anyone else's. There's plenty that could've been done with Dante post-dmc1 in my humble opinion. So yeah, now that the alternate protagonist rant is over, I can say once again that I'm mostly happy with what I've seen.

P. S. I like the death scissors, the uı, and the shattered glass theme

Devil Player

It seems much better than DMC 2, DMC 4 and DmC.

There's some stuff from DmC ( a game that I enjoyed more than DMC 2 and DMC 4. I'm in the minority, but that's just my opinion ).

The Savage rank is from DmC.

The announcer voice for the ranks is also from DmC.

I'm sorry, but Nero does look like DmC Dante.

The slow-mo effect for the last kill is also from DmC

When the floor and the city start changing and twisting. That also looks like DmC

Enemy's names popping up onscreen before you face them...This is pure DmC and this is one of the issues that I had with DmC and I'm having with DMC 5. That's way too cheesy.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Calibur's input seems to be R1+Forward+Sword while in air, while Split's input is now changed to R1+Back+Sword instead.
If my speculation is right, they have gotten rid of the back-to-forward input.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The game looks cool and i can't wait to try it.

The bit with the bug in the tree shows us that there are metroidvania or limited exploration elements.

Storywise there is mentions of Nero looking for a guy with a cane. I thought it was Morrison.

Character-wise Nero and Dante are growing on me. I'm still more interested in Vitale and Vergil but they do have a certain charm.

Not a fan of Nico but maybe the game would change my mind.

DarkSlayerVergil

Personally I'm leaning on being satisfied with the direction dmc5 seems to be taking. There's enough of a mix of old and new and I can observe the good parts of the old games being integrated into this new chapter.

What bothers me the most is that Dante isn't getting any special attention anymore. To me, I'll be playing as Nero and V just so that I get to play as Dante at some point in the game. I know I know, Itsuno didn't know what to do with Dante after dmc1 but that's his lack of inspiration not anyone else's. There's plenty that could've been done with Dante post-dmc1 in my humble opinion. So yeah, now that the alternate protagonist rant is over, I can say once again that I'm mostly happy with what I've seen.

P. S. I like the death scissors, the uı, and the shattered glass theme
It's less of lack of inspiration on Itsunos part and more the fact that Dante already achieved his goal in defeating Mundus in the first game. What would you have Dante do after getting his vengeance?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
When you realize The Simpsons actually predicted DMC5...

IMG-20180823-WA0005.jpg

BoBo

It's less of lack of inspiration on Itsunos part and more the fact that Dante already achieved his goal in defeating Mundus in the first game. What would you have Dante do after getting his vengeance?

At the end of DMC1 Mundus vows to return and rule the world so there could have been a sequel with Mundus as the villain again. But in case that sounds repetitive they could've made a game like the DMC chronicles where Dante moves from one job to another with an overarching backstory, basically like the anime. DMC3 story was also very original as the prequel, even tho I didn't particularly like the character of Dante in that one. But there are possibilities is all I'm sayin.

Meg

IMG-20180823-WA0005.jpg
Dude The Simpsons correctly predicts basically everything.

:laugh:

Really like Nero so far. A lot of his lines made me smile, so hopefully that is the case throughout the game. Overall though, this game is the exact opposite of what I wanted, but I'm still just glad it exists. I'm gonna buy it day one no matter what, but I'm not as pumped as I should be for a new DMC game.

berto

I Saw the Devil

IMG-20180823-WA0005.jpg
Way ahead of you.

What would you have Dante do after getting his vengeance?
What he does every single night, Pinky. Fight the big bad, protect the villagers, save the day, the night and the girl, too. Just because his personal vengeance has been fulfilled doesn't mean that he's going to retire and that there is nothing else to do or other stories to tell. Not every mission of grand importance has to directly correlate to his past. He can save the world without having to avenge his mother, father, brother and bartender's cat to be compelling.

DarkSlayerVergil

What he does every single night, Pinky. Fight the big bad, protect the villagers, save the day, the night and the girl, too. Just because his personal vengeance has been fulfilled doesn't mean that he's going to retire and that there is nothing else to do or other stories to tell. Not every mission of grand importance has to directly correlate to his past. He can save the world without having to avenge his mother, father, brother and bartender's cat to be compelling.
At the end of DMC1 Mundus vows to return and rule the world so there could have been a sequel with Mundus as the villain again. But in case that sounds repetitive they could've made a game like the DMC chronicles where Dante moves from one job to another with an overarching backstory, basically like the anime. DMC3 story was also very original as the prequel, even tho I didn't particularly like the character of Dante in that one. But there are possibilities is all I'm sayin.
So basically you guys just want a game version of the anime? Eh I'd much prefer if they focused on other characters tbh.

ShiningTempest

Since this will become the manual dodge complain thread I will just post this here.

Are you being sarcastic? You have a Bayonetta avatar, a game series with a dedicated dodge button and you're telling me that the outdated one is the one with more buttons to do a single thing, the one that was introduced in 2001, 17 years ago. That's not the outdated one? Besides, having a simple and immediate option to a quintessential function is bad how, exactly?
Yes Bayonetta has dedicated manual dodge and the control scheme is worse than that of DMC. Of course manual dodge is inefficient for hack and slashers like this.
"simple and immediate"
DMC dodge is simple and immediate.
1)So you are arguing that a 3 input command to perform a basic function that in an action game in which often time nanosecond reactions determines victory or failure would be less efficient if you had it as a single input that does the same? Please tell me you don't work at a nuclear power plant.
2)Imagine having to press 2 buttons and a trigger just to switch weapons. You could no longer say that you can switch weapons on the fly in your game, now, could you?
1)I am not arguing. I am explaining. The 3 input command is simple, functional in all difficulties and does not lose any 'nanoseconds'.
2) Strawman comparison? The genius behind DMC's dodge is that it is a combination of three parameters interposing into one.

Now lets return to your weapon switching analogy. As your evidence you presented how adding 3 button presses into one action would make it more 'tedious'? is that right? I cant interpret You could no longer say that you can switch weapons on the fly in your game, now, could you? in any other way. So if that were to happen, weapon switching would lose it's dedicated button. Meaning the total number of buttons to worry about has gone down. Also lets dig deeper into 3 buttons for switching.

Do you know that weapons switching is a one dimensional action right? You can go forward and backward.
Adding 3 buttons also mean there can be at least 6 combinations of unique inputs possible with that setting. Why would you use a setting with 6 combinations to do a 1 dimensional task?

The six different states of the dodge input has it's own unique functions and ties in movement, lock on and jumping into one mechanic for simplicity. Without bothering with more buttons.

Would your 3 button system for weapon switching allow different skills on its 6 unique inputs? that are somehow related to one mechanic?
If so then I would take that over one button switching any day.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So basically you guys just want a game version of the anime?
No, that was boring, uninspired and lacked any closely resembling charm or stylish action so, not a game version of the anime. I don't want Dante sleeping through half of the game, having two action scenes through the entirety of the thing and having the most uninteresting enemy designs and dialogue I've ever had to sit through. Do you really think the anime would've been better if it had focused on Dante's vengeance?

Not every major threat to the world has to revolve around Dante's personal issues and it doesn't have to be a life changing or cathartic experience for him where he faces and resolves all the demons from his past. Why do people think those are the only possible story worth telling?

Yes Bayonetta has dedicated manual dodge and the control scheme is worse than that of DMC. Of course manual dodge is inefficient for hack and slashers like this.
Do you know what the definition of efficiency is? The ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or person in a process or task to the total energy expended and you are telling me that it takes less energy to input 3 simultaneous commands to just the 1. If you had a machine that requires 3 arms to fold envelopes and one that can do it with 1 with the same degree of aptitude which would you say is the more efficient?

DMC dodge is simple and immediate.
Yes, it is. A three input command is not a complicated thing. It can be done by anyone with sufficient fingers, and it is immediate, but, as simple as it is, by mere obvious numbers it's still 3 times more simple to have just the 1. This shouldn't be a complicated equation.

I am not arguing.
Arguing, as in your argument, making your point, presenting your case or evidence. Not as in an argument with the man who broke your window.

The genius behind DMC's dodge is that it is a combination of three parameters interposing into one.
There was never any 'genius' to have to input 3 commands to avoid attacks, it was just never intrusive. The enemies were never so fast or aggressive nor versatile that one needed more precision than simply jumping away. The games were build with that mobility in mind. But now games are faster, have better AI, more attack variety and if DMC5 is so simple and the enemies so unthreatening that a simple jump is enough to get away from every attack in the game I fear for the worst.

is that right?
Yes, it is. If you had a dedicated dodge you could use those other 2 fingers to do other things while you dodge but instead you have one thumb on the analog stick, another on the jump button and your finger on the lock-on instead of one finger tapping dodge, one thumb shooting wildly and the other switching weapons. See? Doing two more things with the same amount of inputs.

Do you know that weapons switching is a one dimensional action right? You can go forward and backward.
Not always. Some systems have left/right/up/down layout but I don't want to be a contrarian so, go on.

Why would you use a setting with 6 combinations to do a 1 dimensional task?
No, that's what I'm arguing against, that to perform a simple or basic action there should be a single, dedicated input. Taunting shouldn't be RT+Select, it should be one or the other. Shooting shouldn't have to be a 3 button deal. Jumping. Melee attack, These are basic things and should be single inputs. Stinger, High Time, Caliber. These are a bit more specific and require more inputs to perform. Second tier moves if you will. Not complex but do require more actions. Dodge shouldn't be a second tier function.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Honestly I'm 50/50 on Dante being the main character. They haven't really shown they know what to do with him post DMC1.

I think the setup for 5 where Dante is one of three protagonists and they have seperate campaigns is probably the best way to go.

Hopefully they learn from 4's misteps.

Last edited:

TheActionGamer

Veteran Devil Hunter
I haven't been able to see much this week until recently. I've been busy doing college work but I got so excited when I saw the recent gameplay trailer. I'm not sure if I want to post my thoughts on the forum or in a video. Maybe I'll do both. I have a lot to say when it comes to comparisons on DMC3, DMC4, and now DMC 5.

To make it short on the forum: I enjoy what I see. Innovation on existing game mechanics with new moves being added. Nero looks like a complete character and fun to play as in DMC 5 where as he didn't feel quite finished in Devil May Cry 4 or the Special Edition.

DarkSlayerVergil

Do you really think the anime would've been better if it had focused on Dante's vengeance?
I've never claimed it would just simply that Dantes personal business is what gets him connected into the story no matter how small his inclusion is really.
Not every major threat to the world has to revolve around Dante's personal issues and it doesn't have to be a life changing or cathartic experience for him where he faces and resolves all the demons from his past. Why do people think those are the only possible story worth telling?
Maybe it's because Dante after 1 essentially becomes the way too strong for their to be any reasonable conflict or stakes in terms of story. Dantes power creep through out the franchise doesnt leave for much conflict considering the time-line of events. DMC3 was Dante at his weakest so him being challenged was to expected, DMC1 is him stronger and more experienced but still not unbeatable and it shows in his fight against Nero Angelo and Mundus rightfully so, and DMC4 Dante has now defeated his greatest enemy and is now getting word of a town called Fortuna that been indulging in demonic business plus they have Vergils sword. Dante in 4 has already surpassed his father and most likely Mundus himself(which imho was the worst Capcom could of done with his character) which is conveyed through how he effortlessly dominates all demons in 4 in his side of the missions.

My point is that Dante at this point was made too powerful for thier to be any conflict for him to experience. I mean you could say "Well we could create a more powerful big bad" but then I'd ask "who'd be stronger then Mundus?" Thiers ArgoSax but we barely know anything about them and Dante is him at his absolute strongest so it's even more moot.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Maybe it's because Dante after 1 essentially becomes the way too strong for their to be any reasonable conflict or stakes in terms of story.
That much is true. I see your issue. The thing is, he doesn't have to be. Dante went through the ringer in 1. Impaled, 4 times, incinerated, electrocuted, like 4 times, got his ass handed to him, and god only knows how many times those doors grabassed him. It was the whole thing in DMC3 and how in the cutscenes he just eased by with most enemies. Being powerful doesn't make him invulnerable. It's the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust effect. I've said it a few times before and I'll probably say it again: Watching someone walk down a gentle slope will never be as interesting as watching someone running up a hill with bloody knees and knuckles, worn to the point of exhaustion and beaming with determination.

Never forget:
We don't want DMCV being labeled "abolist" or something xD
I have mixed feelings about that whole shpiel.

On the one hand I that I agree that those who judge something that for mass consumption should be adequate at it. A food critic doesn't smoke or eat spicy food, a film critic has basic knowledge of film theory and history as well as storytelling, a judge of automotive has to have working knowledge of the mechanical workings of a car and maintain that knowledge. In the same vein a game critic should be able to perform at at least a moderate level of skill since the only people who'd bother to go look up game reviews are people who game regularly. Those who just have a passing interest, the casuals, tend to either ask at the store, a friend or family who they consider gamers.

On the other hand, I'm sure the guy could've learned to play better. I don't think the guy deserved such an explosively aggressive reaction. I thought it was unfair and rather cruel to do that to some poor schmuck just because he didn't play the game right.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I have mixed feelings about that whole shpiel.

On the one hand I that I agree that those who judge something that for mass consumption should be adequate at it. A food critic doesn't smoke or eat spicy food, a film critic has basic knowledge of film theory and history as well as storytelling, a judge of automotive has to have working knowledge of the mechanical workings of a car and maintain that knowledge. In the same vein a game critic should be able to perform at at least a moderate level of skill since the only people who'd bother to go look up game reviews are people who game regularly. Those who just have a passing interest, the casuals, tend to either ask at the store, a friend or family who they consider gamers.

On the other hand, I'm sure the guy could've learned to play better. I don't think the guy deserved such an explosively aggressive reaction. I thought it was unfair and rather cruel to do that to some poor schmuck just because he didn't play the game right.
Look I understand that harassing isn't answer, but I'm sorry, for example if you at Olympics fall flat at the start of the race, people will make fun about you, because it shows that you are terrible at what you suppose to do the best. In this particular case, it was just TO bad. If five year old child can pass the tutorial of this game, you have to had 0 game experience to not understand basics.I just think to many modern "game journalist" don't know what gaming is, and shouldn't review games if they so bad at it. I don't think people should harrass somebody for days, but if you fail, people will laugh about it.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I'm pretty much done with DMC and watching the newest trailer and 15 minutes of gameplay proved it. I didn't feel anything for what saw except "Yeap, it's a DMC game". That's it.

Top Bottom