• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
Sooo..? Are they going to continue making these or not?!? Cause the 3rd one was early 2014 was it not? And it's been more than a half a year now.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The last we heard, the film's director said that they're certainly making more movies, but haven't started with the multiple projects heaped upon the studio at the moment. His official statement was:

"We're currently moving to make [Berserk] a saga project. But this is as much as I can say. It's a secret. It's really not at the stage I can say anything about it, but the project is in motion."
---Source
So it'll probably happen in a year or two. Best bet is that they'll merge the Black Swordsman Arc and the Lost Children Arc into one trilogy of movies. It makes sense they're taking their time with this---the making of the Golden Age Arc was a stressful process for them. Keep in mind, this was the same trilogy that was initially going to be one, gigantic Golden Age movie, until the studio sliced into three entries to keep budget and runtime intact.

I also imagine that they're experimenting with the CG they used, since their approach in the films was a shaky one, until they got it right in the last movie.

They're currently working with Keiji Inafune on Red Ash, so there's that.

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
You know. All said and done, this trilogy really was kind of unnecessary as the original anime was near perfect. :/ They really should've just continued off from there.

WolfOD64

You know. All said and done, this trilogy really was kind of unnecessary as the original anime was near perfect. :/ They really should've just continued off from there.
According to Studio 4C, their original pitch was to start with the Black Swordsman Arc, but Kentaro Miura wanted the Golden Age Arc to be adapted first, probably because he didn't think the modern generation of anime fans were familiar with Berserk (which is more or less true, and was certainly the case for me).

The director has stated that the arc he'd like to see animated most is the Lost Children Arc.

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
I also heard that KentaroMiura had tendinitis in his hand or something like that. And therefore he wasn't going to keep going with the Manga soon. Is that true?

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I hope it comes out next year. If VHD and Berserk come out the same year, that is literally ALL MY FREE TIME gone

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
According to Studio 4C, their original pitch was to start with the Black Swordsman Arc, but Kentaro Miura wanted the Golden Age Arc to be adapted first, probably because he didn't think the modern generation of anime fans were familiar with Berserk (which is more or less true, and was certainly the case for me).

The director has stated that the arc he'd like to see animated most is the Lost Children Arc.
They could've easily just done a "remaster" of sorts, kind of like with DBZ Kai to showcase it to a modern audience.

WolfOD64

They could've easily just done a "remaster" of sorts, kind of like with DBZ Kai to showcase it to a modern audience.
I would've rather had them skip the Golden Age Arc entirely and focus on what hasn't been animated yet (see also: LITERALLY EVERYTHING Post-Eclipse).

But the movies turned out really well, despite the colossal problems with production and wonky use of CG. They captured some of the best moments of Berserk and animated them superbly, all while updating the look of the characters to correspond with Miura's more modern art style (whereas the anime emphasizes on a lot of the round, cartoonish looks the manga had in the early 90's).

Also, a remaster would've been impossible. For one thing, the original anime left out a lot of key events in the manga (that the movies, ironically for all they cut out, managed to retain), and actually toned down the violence and graphic nature to be aired on TV. Also, the studio didn't feel like hunting down all the Japanese voice actors----this is the one rare case of an anime changing its Japanese cast entirely, but keeping its English cast exactly the same as before.

I also heard that KentaroMiura had tendinitis in his hand or something like that. And therefore he wasn't going to keep going with the Manga soon. Is that true?
Far from it. Miura was hospitalized once before, but that was in 2013...due to stress. When that happened, the fanbase panicked like you wouldn't believe, and all thought he was going to pass away and leave Berserk unfinished.

But he not only recovered, he also recently announced with the manga's magazine Young Animal that the series is going to be published on a monthly basis from now till the end of the series.

I don't think you know how overwhelming that is to the Berserk fanbase. This series has been published on a backwards-ass irregular schedule since 2006, and went on hiatus for three years until 2012. We've been playing the "Game of Thrones" sport of anticipation for so long, and now, we actually get a consistent schedule. No more endless speculation, no more dry and empty periods of no new content...

We're finally getting our due.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
I just want to see Berserk adapted without anything being cut out, but sadly I feel like that won't happen. A lot of people are saying that the Lost Children Arc is too violent to animate, but then again we saw the Eclipse in all of it's violent and sadistic glory.

I'd rather them have a new anime than make a bunch of movies, which are bound to skip events and cut a bunch of crap out for the sake of fitting within a certain time constraint.

I'm just glad that Berserk has returned to it's regular publishing schedule.

WolfOD64

I just want to see Berserk adapted without anything being cut out, but sadly I feel like that won't happen.
I wanted to see that happen too...until I realized how astronomically expensive that would be.

One of the reasons Berserk is considered the Lord of the Rings of manga is because the sheer scope and volume of the story cannot be made on a standard budget. The massive battles, the towering Apostles, and surreal/symbolic images that would rip a Special Effects Team a gaping new one would all be impossible to condense into an anime or OVA.

A lot of people are saying that the Lost Children Arc is too violent to animate, but then again we saw the Eclipse in all of it's violent and sadistic glory.
Lost Children Arc will probably happen. If they could animate the Eclipse, and make the grotesque visual spectacle even worse than the manga, I'm sure they can do it with the Lost Children Arc, too.

I'd rather them have a new anime than make a bunch of movies, which are bound to skip events and cut a bunch of crap out for the sake of fitting within a certain time constraint.
That's understandable, but condensing all that to an anime would be disastrous. Most anime don't have the insane budget of Kill La Kill or Attack on Titan, and tend to be made very cheaply. That's why many well-made manga adaptations have succeeded in the realm of movies and OVAs, because neither the budget or the content is monitored in the way that anime constantly is.

I personally watch the movies just to see my favorite scenes from the manga animated. I know they won't adapt everything, but I know they'll adapt and animate the most iconic scenes at least, and that certainly makes it worth it.

I'm just glad that Berserk has returned to it's regular publishing schedule.
You and me both, pal.
wffJNLb.gif

BLACKSWIPE

I wanted to see that happen too...until I realized how astronomically expensive that would be.

One of the reasons Berserk is considered the Lord of the Rings of manga is because the sheer scope and volume of the story cannot be made on a standard budget. The massive battles, the towering Apostles, and surreal/symbolic images that would rip a Special Effects Team a gaping new one would all be impossible to condense into an anime or OVA.

Lost Children Arc will probably happen. If they could animate the Eclipse, and make the grotesque visual spectacle even worse than the manga, I'm sure they can do it with the Lost Children Arc, too.

That's understandable, but condensing all that to an anime would be disastrous. Most anime don't have the insane budget of Kill La Kill or Attack on Titan, and tend to be made very cheaply. That's why many well-made manga adaptations have succeeded in the realm of movies and OVAs, because neither the budget or the content is monitored in the way that anime constantly is.

I personally watch the movies just to see my favorite scenes from the manga animated. I know they won't adapt everything, but I know they'll adapt and animate the most iconic scenes at least, and that certainly makes it worth it.

You and me both, pal.
wffJNLb.gif

As much as I love Berserk, I could not care about anything else being animated other than the ****ing Berserker Armor being animated. God, that's all I want in this lifetime.

WolfOD64

Love that game, friend let me play it for a bit on his PS2. But...the animation used in the Golden Age films is a lot better than the awful PS2 era textures in the game.
You can thank the PS2 for that. The thing had the technical process of a graphing calculator...and I would've rather much had the game developed for the original Xbox or GameCube, despite how much I like the game.

As for the movie CG, well...I like it in shots like the Battle of Doldrey (that whole movie used it really well) and for the monsters in the last film, but I really wish they didn't use it on the characters' faces. Having it for things like armor and fur is one thing, but having it for human faces makes the movie look like a cutscene from One Piece: Pirate Warriors.

They thankfully fixed it around Movie 3 by CG-animating the characters' armor and 2-D animating the characters' faces. I assume they'll adopt the same tactic for the inevitable fourth film.

BLACKSWIPE

You can thank the PS2 for that. The thing had the technical process of a graphing calculator...and I would've rather much had the game developed for the original Xbox or GameCube, despite how much I like the game.

As for the movie CG, well...I like it in shots like the Battle of Doldrey (that whole movie used it really well) and for the monsters in the last film, but I really wish they didn't use it on the characters' faces. Having it for things like armor and fur is one thing, but having it for human faces makes the movie look like a cutscene from One Piece: Pirate Warriors.

They thankfully fixed it around Movie 3 by CG-animating the characters' armor and 2-D animating the characters' faces. I assume they'll adopt the same tactic for the inevitable fourth film.

I just can't wait to see Guts wreck **** with the DragonSlayer. Blood, carnage, and violence.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I love Berserk. It's my absolute favorite.
I'm so glad they managed to put the manga on a regular release schedule again. It's only one chapter every month, but that's a massive improvement on what it's been for the last year or two.
As is the case with HBO and Game of Thrones, I'm sure they'll have a much easier time figuring out how to adapt the series once it has been completed.

The slowing down makes sense. With Griffith out in the open, leaving Rickon as a witness, now it's just counting the days until Guts inevitably makes his way there. It may not unfold as simple as all that, but his journey now has a clear endpoint which is a good thing.

I'm suspecting the irregular release schedule could be in part that the author has dug so far into his life's work that he needed time to figure out direction. It can't be easy, spending decades laying out characters and plotlines, and having to find a beautiful way to tie them all together again for a finish fans will love. That must be one of the most stressful things you could ever go through. Do it just slightly wrong and your entire legacy will be mentioned highly and then followed up with "...but the ending was pretty weak" for all eternity. Honestly, fans can be so cruel to the things they love.

I do own the Studio 4c releases on Blu Ray. I've shown them to numerous friends to turn them onto it. Very glad they decided to start by reanimated The Golden Age Arc because otherwise I don't think I would have been able to turn all of those people onto the series.

Side note: dying to see them animate the berserker armor.

EDIT: Fact correction, post expansion, deep connection with the dark complexion got a nine in my right and a staph infection... idk

Last edited:
Top Bottom