• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry needs to return back to it's horror roots!

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
After browsing through the recent threads and taking a few peeks at some concept art, I've kinda realized that this game was headed for a far darker path than what he got.

In the original Devil May Cry there was more of a horror element to the overall tone of the game. It literally felt scary and (for it's time), was a little unnerving to play. The bosses were scary in ways other that difficulty, and everything really had a serious vibe that really worked with the demonic forces going against you. Dante's original personality (in my personal opinion), seemed to work the best in this type of environment. He really came off as a cool guy, who managed to keep a calm yet playful attitude in an extremely dark landscape where everything wanted his head to roll.

I think that it would really be nice to see DmC: Devil May Cry return back to it's horror-inspired roots. The concept art really seems to speak for itself, and I'm a little disappointed that Capcom took the game in the way that it went (In terms of atmosphere!)

For the past few years, we've been getting some really silly-in-tone hack'n'slash titles. I think DmC2 could really stand out with an overall different tone than the rest.

Snarks

The "scariness" of DMC was mainly a holdover from its roots as a Resident Evil game. Though I'm not interested in seeing another forest area like in DMC4 and still want to see some castles, I definitely don't want DMC to even attempt to be a horror game in any capacity. Resident Evil tried to be an action game and now it excels at neither action nor horror, so I sure as hell don't want that for DMC.

EllDawn

Looking at some of what was actually in DmC, that kind of hints at NT wanting to make it much darker and closer to a horror. Even the trailers hinted at such, with also more of a psychological twist. I'd love to see them make the next more of a horror.

seraphmaycry

After browsing through the recent threads and taking a few peeks at some concept art, I've kinda realized that this game was headed for a far darker path than what he got.

In the original Devil May Cry there was more of a horror element to the overall tone of the game. It literally felt scary and (for it's time), was a little unnerving to play. The bosses were scary in ways other that difficulty, and everything really had a serious vibe that really worked with the demonic forces going against you. Dante's original personality (in my personal opinion), seemed to work the best in this type of environment. He really came off as a cool guy, who managed to keep a calm yet playful attitude in an extremely dark landscape where everything wanted his head to roll.

I think that it would really be nice to see DmC: Devil May Cry return back to it's horror-inspired roots. The concept art really seems to speak for itself, and I'm a little disappointed that Capcom took the game in the way that it went (In terms of atmosphere!)

For the past few years, we've been getting some really silly-in-tone hack'n'slash titles. I think DmC2 could really stand out with an overall different tone than the rest.

devil may cry was never rooted in horror anyway, it started as a resident evil game, which does explain enemies based of common phobias, such as, clowns, spiders, the dark, "oh god what is that pile of ****?!" etc

but despite that, it never really tried to be scary, it never followed the horror formula, because, even against mundus, Dante was able to remove the threat from the audiences mind with a clever retort, in dmc3 cerberus goes from giant three headed mutt to "puppy" because that's what Dante makes of it.

there were no build ups, no typical music drops, no jump scares (or at least none of these in a very large amount)

physce horror wasn't even in there much.

i LOVED the feeling from dmc3 and dmc1's settings, but they were sorta creepy, sorta cool, not scary.

dmc1 is, and always will be, rooted from sin, you have the "pride of lion" you have "vergil/virgil" etc etc

dmc3 upped by recreating the entire divine comedy.

seven bosses to represent one sin each, then a final self confrontation with his own sin before Dante's humanity (generally depicted as a good thing) beats vergil's confidence in the power of demons "bad things involved with sin."

dmc4 dropped that to become "assasins creed may cry."

seriously, that intro sequence made the target audience of tasteless teenage boys (in my own view, i understand some people somehow like games about tricking enemies into dying instead of drawing pleasure from the actual fight and the master of its mechanics, i understand a similar affect can be achieved with stealth, learning it, getting max efficiency, etc, etc, etc, but i just don't really draw from it.) and the lame "hero always gets the girl" trope.

personally i would have made Dante kill the holy dude in a way fitting to his style, nero would have killed kyrie but saved anyone else who didn't evacuate in time thus meaning there are a whole less casualties, i would have made neor have a character outside of "KYRIEEEEE!" and "ME KILL STUFF NOW!" lady would appeal to a more general (meaning sensible) group off reasonable (non sex obsessed) people, because there's a lot more of those then the alternative. (translation: lady was better in dmc3) and there would be no gloria and trish would do stuff, making Dante, Trish and Lady the stars, instead of giving Dante a few missions, where he explicitly has to go back and undo nero's mess.

although Dante's gameplay is perfect.

dmc2 was capcom flailing every possible limb in every and any possible direction simultaneously.

the anime had a more physcological root and was the only where fear was actually conveyed through Dante's despair over his parents.

yes, that means i found that Anthony Redgrave episode scary instead of sad because you can see just how much Dante has been effected to either pretending mister redgrave never was him or he, more likely, it's so bad he doesn't even know he was known as Anthony because he has DID.

DmC: devil may cry is a rehash of everything a human with a working brain could tell you.

"media are corrupt! soft drinks be bad and come from disgusting places! OMG secret mind control! (although that last one is more conspiracy theorist territory)"

horror, in other words, does not feel like a devil may cry thing.

it COULD be a DmC2 thing, however (or a dmc5) but i doubt it'll happen until capcom runs out of ideas.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
it only really needs darker designed levels with more sinister enemies and bosses with blood and drool coming from there claws and teeth like there ready to rip you apart. A castle or dark forest or a labrynth would be awesome , or a demonic temple maybe.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been advocating this since god knows when. One of the things that made the original so memorable was the ambiance and the titles would benefit from some more of that, along with a more demonic ensemble of enemies.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Horror... I've never associated that with DMC or DmC (or even seen it).
Perhaps my definition of Horror is totally different to other people's.

BLACKSWIPE

Hm, I guess I sh0uld rephrase on what I was attempting to say...

What I meant by "horror", was that Devil May Cry originally had that eerie tone and setting to it. I'm not asking for any jump scares, but rather the resident-evil esc influences that the original game had.

Dark environments, twisted looking monsters, creepy background music...those were some of the major things (In my opinion) that made the original so awesome to play.

seraphmaycry

What I meant by "horror", was that Devil May Cry originally had that eerie tone and setting to it. I'm not asking for any jump scares, but rather the resident-evil esc influences that the original game had.

Dark environments, twisted looking monsters, creepy background music...those were some of the major things (In my opinion) that made the original so awesome to play.

that's more of a gothic creepy feel that the original had, you know, gothic castles, candles, etc etc etc.

BLACKSWIPE

Could you suggest how it might be implemented? Because I'm coming up with a blank right now.

Hm...

I'm really going to sound like a broken record here, but basically the entire tone and feel of the original Devil May Cry. The music, the enemy designs, the castles, the environments...it was all a really good way to present a demon slaying story.

I follow someone on tumblr named kenny900214, he does an INSANE amount of DmC art and is a huge fan of the new reboot. I saw this DmC Vergil the other day, and I thought that this was an INSANELY COOL design for the newly unleashed Vergil who has just found his powers:

tumblr_mzb1pdyrRS1smglcgo2_1280.png

^ In my personal opinion we need to see more creepy, disturbing things in DmC.

Sorry if my argument here is a little weak, I hit my head on some stairs yesterday so I'm a little out of it today...

(P.S.: If your a fan of DmC art, go follow Kenny on tumblr!)

seraphmaycry

Hm...

I'm really going to sound like a broken record here, but basically the entire tone and feel of the original Devil May Cry. The music, the enemy designs, the castles, the environments...it was all a really good way to present a demon slaying story.

I follow someone on tumblr named kenny900214, he does an INSANE amount of DmC art and is a huge fan of the new reboot. I saw this DmC Vergil the other day, and I thought that this was an INSANELY COOL design for the newly unleashed Vergil who has just found his powers:

Sorry if my argument here is a little weak, I hit my head on some stairs yesterday so I'm a little out of it today...

again, i can't but feel DMC was about sin more then horror, apologies for the newly found broken record disease that seems to have just spread through this forum.

i'm loving that art though and really wish i could draw or paint something other then a complete mess.

DmC2 i think fits the horror bill perfectly now i've seen that artwork.

i'm thinking the hole in his face could even be symbolic of his casting away his angel side.

did i just analyze some random piece of fan art?

apologies, i somehow manage to do that when it's not needed.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Hm...

Now that's something I'd love to see in Devil May Cry (new or old). :inlove: (Sorry, I'd still love him even with half of his face missing... yes, I am that disturbed/weird).
The only true horror element that sticks out in my mind is the... uh, 'Nobody'?
These things:
nobody2.jpg

Those things were damn creepy.

It should've been darker. These demons, created by Mundus (the Demon King) who could create all manner of foulness, could've created some pretty hideous creatures for Dante to fight. Instead I get chased around the fight by something with the girth of (let's say) 5 sumo wrestlers with the head or a 'cherub' (not scary, more a pain in the butt).

I quite liked the 'Wisps' from Vergil's Downfall. They were pretty 'gross' (flesh and bone).
dmc_wisp_xnalara_by_sumirehaikuxna-d65ccdd.png

phoenix-force411

Lol. Resident Evil does has its potential to return, but that means they'll have to Nerf the game play and the badassness of the combat. As for DmC, no. I don't see this series returning back into the original DMC horror element. This is an action game.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope

..and you are suggesting those things are missing out in the reboot?
Eerie level design? Check.
Honestly, the level design is the best thing DmC has ever done. When I played the first level of the game, it felt really unsettling to me. There is no creepy music to accompany it, but that made it even worse. I could hear the lost souls breathing and the funhouse part reminded me a lot of Twisted Metal for some reason.

Twisted looking monsters? Check.
I don't know how you define creepy, but this is more than enough:
dreamrunner.jpg

The boss battles are also extremely unsettling, take the Spawn boss fight, or the Succubus boss fight (although the latter turned out to be more of a ridiculous 'f*ck-you-fest')

Creepy background music? Well, okay, DmC kinda failed on this one.

BLACKSWIPE

..and you are suggesting those things are missing out in the reboot?
Eerie level design? Check.
Honestly, the level design is the best thing DmC has ever done. When I played the first level of the game, it felt really unsettling to me. There is no creepy music to accompany it, but that made it even worse. I could hear the lost souls breathing and the funhouse part reminded me a lot of Twisted Metal for some reason.

Twisted looking monsters? Check.
I don't know how you define creepy, but this is more than enough:
dreamrunner.jpg

The boss battles are also extremely unsettling, take the Spawn boss fight, or the Succubus boss fight (although the latter turned out to be more of a ridiculous 'f*ck-you-fest')

Creepy background music? Well, okay, DmC kinda failed on this one.

(Keep in mind that I am also a fellow fan of this game.)

I know that DmC has probably the best level design in the whol damn series. I totally agree, but what I meant by this statement is that Dante often spoke of Limbo as being an awful place. I just wanted to see darker enemy designs and more morbid things, kinda like what we saw in DMC1.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I think DmC already feels a bit "horror"-esque.

One of my first impressions with DmC is that it slightly reminds me of Silent Hill, due to Limbo's resemblance to Otherworld when the world warps itself.
Now why didn't I even notice that?

Top Bottom