• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Prototype and DmC

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Hey, I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed but...does DmC kind of remind you of prototype?

For those who don't know this is prototype.

Now upon further looking at the concept art, I found some interesting things of Prototype that are a lot like DmC.
Greene-Early-ConceptArt-1-.jpg

309px-Eva_CA_01_DmC.jpg

tumblr_m786xbsqi51qlkx4go1_1280.png

tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco1_500.png

Whipfist_M_1.png

Ophion_DmC.png

Hammerfist_menu.png

dmc_eryx-2.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Eva's pose is a little too common, and Ninja Theory has this penchant of having a red-headed female character.

When you design street clothes, especially with hoods, things are bound to look similar, given the nature of the style at the time >_<

Grappling whip?...eh...Ophion is...I dunno, it's based off the Devil Bringer, but utilized through the transforming Rebellion. Eryx is...well, when you degrade something to basic metal fist, generic is as generic does :p

Funny similarities though. I wish [PROTOTYPE] wasn't such a clusterfuck at the end though :(

IncarnatedDemon

The cinematic with trailer of "the hooded guy whos a terrorist" is a idea they ripped off from Prototype. This becomes more apparent when you notice the black and white cinematics at end of DmC with red colour covering the place.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Right, because [PROTOTYPE] was the first to ever use "guy in hood labeled terrorist" shtick :/

That's a really old concept, IC, c'mon. A character wanted for criminal acts has about an 85% chance of wearing a hood at some point. Do you really just like saying DmC ripped off everything in sight because it seems vaguely similar, as if everything exists in a vacuum where nothing else exists other than DmC and the infringed party...?

And for Dante the hood is mostly aesthetic anyway. The only time he's ever shown using it is in the CG trailer, and logically he uses it to protect from the rain.

IncarnatedDemon

All i am saying is that i think they ripped the idea to have those stuff from Prototype. I havent said Prototype was first to do those things.
Thats your words not mine...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That's the thing, by saying that it was all ripped from [PROTOTYPE] is to ignore how common the similar things are throughout the rest of media history.

Would I be allowed to say that you're ripping off Naruto if you wrote a ninja-centric story where ninjutsu is done with a combination of handsigns? No, because handsigns have been used throughout ninja-related material for so long that it's just an accepted element, it's a trope.

The exact same way a that "criminal wearing a hood to hide identity" is a trope, and is even these days just a cool factor. And being labeled a terrorist is something extremely common whenever you start lampooning conservative sensibilities to rile up their viewers.

It's also absurd to say that those are ripped from some place in particular when they're literally tried and true tactics employed by criminals (hiding identity) and overbearing media (harshly labeling detractors) in real life. There's truth in concept there.

You need to take a huge step back and stop thinking that everything DmC shares with something else means they're ripping it off. Look for the truth behind the concept, and think before you type.

Oh, and also take into account all that concept art they have for DmC that shows so many different things that have nothing to do with [PROTOTYPE]. There's a whole process that we can watch their designs go through. If they were ripping off something else, do you think there would have been so much concept art...? Wouldn't their preliminary designs have looked much closer to [PROTOTYPE] then...?

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I actually still fail to see the similarities, i see some common themes running in some of the artwork but i don't think it's enough to form a proper link beyond "Hey that looks kinda similar"

Hey that could just be me though, not saying you're wrong but i don't see it.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Hell, maybe if they had gone the whole way with "creatively reinterpreting" [PROTOTYPE]'s ideas we'd have actually gotten the ability to throw cars at enemies using Ophion, like the original reveal trailer promised.

Bazilican

The cinematic with trailer of "the hooded guy whos a terrorist" is a idea they ripped off from Prototype. This becomes more apparent when you notice the black and white cinematics at end of DmC with red colour covering the place.

Funny how people are at ease when they say DmC ripped off something but when someone says DMC ripped off something, it's an all out debate.

Just putting that out there.

IncarnatedDemon

Funny how people are at ease when they say DmC ripped off something but when someone says DMC ripped off something, it's an all out debate.

Just putting that out there.
DMC has prolly ripped off Inuyasha and Bleach.

290px-Orihime_episode_215.png

Kyrie_DMC4.jpg

dante-vergil-vs-inuyasha-sesshomaru.jpg

What was that you said about "it's an all out debate"?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
though DmC has ripped off a lot of things from not just [PROTOTYPE] but many other games like the darksiders games. DMC 1-4 ripped off a lot of ideas and plot points and character designs from many anime and mangas. both have ripped off something from somewhere. but do i care? no. because usually (and this is just my experience) when i find something good, its been stealing ideas from something else.

Bazilican

though DmC has ripped off a lot of things from not just [PROTOTYPE] but many other games like the darksiders games. DMC 1-4 ripped off a lot of ideas and plot points and character designs from many anime and mangas. both have ripped off something from somewhere. but do i care? no. because usually (and this is just my experience) when i find something good, its been stealing ideas from something else.

I never said it ripped off PROTOTYPE. I just said similarities. I'm just happy that at least DmC took points something cool and badass.^_^

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I never said it ripped off PROTOTYPE. I just said similarities. I'm just happy that at least DmC took points something cool and badass.^_^

i know. its just that a lot of people are saying DmC ripped stiff off from it. so i was just trying to make a case. but the similarities are uncanny.

Top Bottom