• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was anyone else disappointed with how the story went for DMC5?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Even taking story focus into account, nero is 24 in devil may cry 5. He has his own demon hunting gig and is living with kyrie.

Yet he still acts like a teenage brat with an attitude problem for most of the game.

His personality is poorly written, which is a shame as if he was mentored by dante and vergil and matured a bit he could be a great protagonist.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't think bringing back Vergil was a bad idea. I'm just not fond of how they chose to bring him back or resolve his conflict with Dante.

Some of those problems are easier to fix by just having Vergil being in V's place. Having the human version of vergil actually look like Vergil would've helped push the plot forward and pace it better.

Granted the actual cause of Vergil's beef with Dante is underwhelming to me. It would've fit a game with a younger cast and less high stakes.

This game works better if you think of it as Vergil's breaking point than a redemption. The redemptive arc could come in a future game.

Redemption stories work better as ongoing subplots to me.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Even taking story focus into account, nero is 24 in devil may cry 5. He has his own demon hunting gig and is living with kyrie.

Yet he still acts like a teenage brat with an attitude problem for most of the game.

His personality is poorly written, which is a shame as if he was mentored by dante and vergil and matured a bit he could be a great protagonist.
See, the trick is, if you wait a whole decade before publishing the next installment in a series, people will just gloss over how little sense the characters make. They'll just be grateful that there even is a game. Just hold their favorite series hostage for money and they'll excuse anything (at least on first release).

It doesn't matter that Nero acts more immature at 24 than he did when he was 16 and turns into a triggered baby at being insulted one single time by a dude he doesn't actually care about.

It doesn't matter that Vergil regresses to holding on to a beef from when he was eight years old even though we last saw him in 3 acknowledging Dante as his better with some level of respect for him and their shared heritage, and his development is just Mommy Issues and the most generic Vergil-apologism fanfiction ever.

It doesn't matter that Vergil gets the biggest power-up of his life by sitting on a chair instead of working for it, and that he learned absolutely nothing through previous events ("You have lost... because you underestimated humans") and was rewarded a majority of the game for doing the same trick as the villains (forsaking humanity).

It doesn't matter that Dante also repeats his own character arc of acknowledging his human and demon sides, which one would assume was already done in 3 just before he soundly defeated Vergil, or when he was victorious against Mundus, or when he roflstomped his way through 4 and giving Agnus life lessons. Those developments are fake.

It doesn't matter that V is the most popular fan theory of Nero prior to 4's release (Vergil's human half that split from him after the events of Mallet Island while the demon half skulks around being a villain) or that Vergil gets a redemption arc despite being the same level of evil as Mundus, Arkham, and Sanctus but he's just less gloaty about it.

It doesn't matter that Dante kept secrets from Nero for the better part of a decade and opted to let his oblivious nephew have a family heirloom sword, and fully leans in to his DMC4 incompetence of letting a situation escalate out of control before stepping in. It also doesn't matter that the sum of his character (his "reason for fighting") is now Vergil, not his mother's memory or his father's legacy to uphold justice, even though Vergil spent more time dead or presumed dead than Dante's ever known him.

It doesn't matter that the series' past heroines are catty bitches who exist to be tentacle hentai fanservice and nude batteries for bootleg Angelo creations and that their lines are totally interchangeable with each other when you omit their names.

It doesn't matter that Mundus was portrayed as retroactively dumb, and despite inventing both Trish and Cavaliere, he never got the idea to have one power the other, nor to make another Qliphoth to feed from in 2000 years. It's not like power is actually tied to character convictions or development. It is until it's not, it's not until it is.

It doesn't matter that the Yamato gets a power that it legit never had before. Oh, it can split people into two beings now? Sure convenient that it didn't happen the minute Vergil stabbed Arkham back in DMC3! Would've been awkward if he immediately split into Arkham and Jester right there!

It doesn't matter that Dante nonsensically trusts V enough to let him get close to Urizen even though V has his brother's book and knows Urizen's identity and lived to tell about it.

None of it matters. Just publish a game long enough for people to forget what the last story was about, change some details that didn't need to be changed, it's good. They'll buy it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The word that comes to mind when Nero has his dramatic moments is petulant. He acts like a spoiled brat at Vergil and Dante and it's not the things he wants or his motivation, it's how he talks and the way he demands those things. And the whole deadweight thing just made him come off like an immature teenager who needs to toughen up.

nero is 24 in devil may cry 5
Really? Where'd you get that number? If he is he is older than Dante was in 1.

Anyway, Nero isn't the only one. I think they really put their foot in it with every character, except Nico and V and that's just because they're new. Lady and Trish are borderline background characters, they insist on making Dante supremely powerful so what can you do there? And Vergil, with a few exceptions, is kinda obvious in his writing and actions. I'm really underwhelmed with all of them. The dialogue, their actions and their general characterization are kinda... well, in spanish we say postizo, which is a word to describe a false replacement of very specific kind, in this case hair, teeth or body parts, namely those you can remove or exchange. False isn't the right word. Maybe sprayed on or even cosmetic? It's there but isn't quite real enough. Stock? So, honestly, I think Nero's spoiled brat behaviour aside, he might actually be the only one who didn't got the short end of the stick in his characterization.

On a related note, I think this guy has some good thoughts on Nero. He might be over analysing (then again...) but I kinda like his interpretations of him.

I don't think bringing back Vergil was a bad idea.
See, I do, and it's very much a matter of principle. The whole idea of bringing a character back to life is cheap and it cheapens your world. If characters don't stay dead where're the tragedy? The only time when it's acceptable is when the possibility of it has been established immediately or soon after. Think Star Trek 2 where Spock sets up the seeds of possibility or Pirates of the Caribbean 2 where they very much establish in that ending that that's what the 3rd movie was going to be about. Here, it's no different than any bad comic book set up where they just decide to do it. Life and death are cheap. If you die, who cares? Why is it a tragedy if you're just taking a break from the screen? The only other instance I can think of where it was done passibly is in the Two Towers, and that's a rare feat.

I'm just not fond of how they chose to bring him back or resolve his conflict with Dante.
That's true enough. I found their interactions rather obvious and uninspired. There's no conversation, no growth, no, and pardon the pun, motivation. Why are they fighting? Because it's what they do. That's it? Because in every game Vergil is in they fight? Dante didn't bother to ascertain squat after he figured out who V was and how that would change Vergil now that Urizen and him are back as one. Nope. Just fight since that's what they do. No 'hey, you still trying to end the world or can we all go grab a beer?'I know it's a borderline pedantic complaint but it shows a lack of depth in the characters. It's the kind of thing I'd expect from a fanfic from someone who is overly attached to the plot of 3. Nobody is anything deeper than the surface level. I mean, Vergil's reaction to Nero is 'what form of power is this?' The way he said it made it sound like he wanted to know where he could get one. I know he's obsessed with power but he should know to talk about other things. It's like making a character who places his honor above everything else and making every other word that comes out of his mouth is 'honorable.'

It would've fit a game with a younger cast and less high stakes.
You might be on to something. The whole world ending thing was rather unimportant. A thing in the background. So much so that they took a month off to go do whatever and came back. Where's the urgency? Might as well have made it a bit more intimate. Less big. 1 didn't try for the world ending thing and it still managed to be somewhat grandiose when it needed to be. 3 had a city ending but that's not what made it epic.

See, the trick is, if you wait a whole decade before publishing the next installment in a series, people will just gloss over how little sense the characters make. They'll just be grateful that there even is a game.
I had a similar theory as to why people are so absolutely rabid about defending this game, even about the things that are unquestionably low points. It's not just the 10 year gap, it's the threat of the reboot. People didn't like that thing and getting the old one back has blinded them to any possible wrong the game might have. Not only that but they get furious at any negativity. One weird example I experienced was on 4chan. People there are hailing Itsuno as the great savior, one of them, even, but if you point out that Itsuno preferred DmC they lose their collective s**ts. There are people who actually think that's offencive to Itsuno and if you post the evidence you will never witness cope of this magnitude. Everything DmC, to DMC5 fans, gets red hate and I don't get why they get so ravenous except that that's how fanboys fanboy.

It doesn't matter that Vergil regresses to holding on to a beef from when he was eight years old
That is a good point. Vergil is only bringing this up now? If that really has been his beef all this time why wasn't this a focal point in 3? Honestly, I think this is another DmC element imported into 5 that makes no sense nor has any previous examples but, suddenly, it was there the whole time, like Yamato opening portals.

It doesn't matter that Vergil gets the biggest power-up of his life by sitting on a chair instead of working for it
Yeah, but that's everyone. Dante got his power up by stabbing himself, which means they made a meme into canon, Nero did the Dragonball thing and Vergil ate the fruit. No one earned their power up, the plot just needed them got one and they got it.

that he learned absolutely nothing through previous events
It doesn't matter that Dante also repeats his own character arc
Well, 5 is a greatest hits compilation. Most every element that makes up 5 is from the other games. From enemies to plot elements. If it was something the fans would recognize it would be thing here and if it was a huge thing in the other games it'd be a major plot point here. Dante getting stabbed was a fan favorite thing? Well, now it's a central plot element. It's all one step above a member berry.

It doesn't matter that Mundus was portrayed as retroactively dumb
Yeah, but Dante got it worse. He was originally supposed to have intellect far above that of a normal human and how he thinks hitting something is using his brain too much. In his case it wasn't retroactively, it was intentionally and purposefully.

It doesn't matter that the series' past heroines are catty bitches
Yeah, I noticed that, too. More than anything, those two have lost the thing that made them, well, them. The light or the fire they had. or whatever poetic term you want to use. This isn't a 5 issue, this is a 4 and on issue. If they don't know what to do with Dante then they really are at a loss as who and what Lady and Trish are and who they're supposed to be. These personalities are not them nor what made them significant.

Would've been awkward if he immediately split into Arkham and Jester right there!
That would've been hilarious. But, yeah, that's a good way to describe all the major plot points in this game. Convenient. Well, it sure is convenient Dante's sword can now combine him and Sparda together. Isn't it great that Dante had Rebellion at all, considering it was shattered a month ago and he clearly didn't pick it back up. It sure is convenient the fruit had the same effect on Vergil otherwise his father would've clearly left him the short end of the stick. It sure is lucky that Dante didn't want to know the important plot points from Trish and V otherwise it would've spilled the plot. And how great is it that Nero's powerups now work off willpower and not Kyrie love.

Yeah, most films and tv shows run their plots off convenience and luck and, in anime, willpower but this, 1, was not done with the same grace and subtlety better stories have pulled off and, 2, it took a lot of heavy liberties with its history to pull it off.

None of it matters.
Only as long as the story fits it. Once it's inconvenient it goes away, too. It's very possible, if there is a next game, that none of 5 will matter, either. I said this when DMC5 came out (5 years ago, if you can bloody believe it), but we care more about the DMC canon than capcom does. Hell, we probably care more about it than most fans who are intentionally blind to any defects this game has.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto
I thought Dante was 28 in DMC1 because of Trish's line" the deaths of your family 20 years ago".

I don't mind cheating death in a supernatural series if it has a purpose/cost. Avoiding Death is also fine and easier. Foxtrot argued once that he believed Vergil didn't die in 1, Vergil was just teleported away. It's flimsy but workable.

Vergil's current reasoning would work better in a game where he and Dante are 10-12 and just reunited after Eva died. It's digimon adventure meets cereza the lost demon.

You get a freebie Capcom...;).

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@berto the devs stated that nero was 19 in 4 the same age as dante in 3, i just did the math of 5 being set 5 years after 4 making him 24
Any chance you got a link? It's not that I doubt you, just that I like to get a source when people question me on the things I say.

I thought Dante was 28 in DMC1 because of Trish's line" the deaths of your family 20 years ago".
Back on the 20th anniversary a couple of people got Drew Coombs to do a live show and he brought up a sheet of paper with some lines to read from his audition. The script contained a description of Dante that said:
Dante (Age: 23)
The main character of this game. From an early age he's had extraordinary supernatural powers. He can lift with a block of concrete with ease. He has healing powers which allows him to heal his wounds instantaneously; even bullet wounds. He has kept his supernatural powers a secret in fear of unwanted interests.
He has been working as an undercover cop and has been living a happy and peaceful life surrounded by his loving family. Until this incident occurred.
Dante has a real cool attitude. Even when he is in desperate trouble there is always some calmness in him which can be understood when he says jokes.
He rarely becomes panicky. But that is not his real self. He is really a very sensitive person with a lot of emotions. He has a shy personality therefore he tries to hide it with his cool attitude.
He is a man with strong justice and is a fighter and a warrior.
When he is not serious his language is very rough. When he is talking seriously he has a very persuasive tone. “Dante” should be able to express himself in these two ways. When he says jokes it should be really cool not like a stand-up comedian telling jokes.
2f8c8f4ea12c114a7b885efd81305868f6a44420.png

10bc7c2b6c92bedec98c80499dfec9992ff70c4b.png

If you want to see the whole thing here you are:

Anyway, If you look at the second part of that, the test dialogue, it shows that in DMC1 Dante was orphaned at the age of 4. It's clear that in Visions of V they're older than that. That just seems like one more thing they changed from 1. In the original story Vergil was taken as a child and he joined the underworld. That's not the case now. I still think his age is the same, since I don't even think that people currently at Capcom knew that. In this case, for DMC1, it really did take place 20 years ago. Now... I've mentioned before that everything in DMC seems to take place in 10 year intervals. I think the ambiguity was very much intentional. Nothing was exact and that would add an air of mystery to the whole story. Basically, with all the info that we have we can assume nothing is as literal as we hope it is. Now, 20 years might just be a rounded off number. As much as it irks me, the truth is DMC lore is fluid and what one game says the others will contradict.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Any chance you got a link? It's not that I doubt you, just that I like to get a source when people question me on the things I say.

Back on the 20th anniversary a couple of people got Drew Coombs to do a live show and he brought up a sheet of paper with some lines to read from his audition. The script contained a description of Dante that said:

2f8c8f4ea12c114a7b885efd81305868f6a44420.png

10bc7c2b6c92bedec98c80499dfec9992ff70c4b.png

If you want to see the whole thing here you are:

Anyway, If you look at the second part of that, the test dialogue, it shows that in DMC1 Dante was orphaned at the age of 4. It's clear that in Visions of V they're older than that. That just seems like one more thing they changed from 1. In the original story Vergil was taken as a child and he joined the underworld. That's not the case now. I still think his age is the same, since I don't even think that people currently at Capcom knew that. In this case, for DMC1, it really did take place 20 years ago. Now... I've mentioned before that everything in DMC seems to take place in 10 year intervals. I think the ambiguity was very much intentional. Nothing was exact and that would add an air of mystery to the whole story. Basically, with all the info that we have we can assume nothing is as literal as we hope it is. Now, 20 years might just be a rounded off number. As much as it irks me, the truth is DMC lore is fluid and what one game says the others will contradict.
That's totally different from what we ended up getting in the first game.

It's fascinating. I could see the Leon RE2 influence in him.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's fascinating. I could see the Leon RE2 influence in him.
Yeah, if you play the classic versions you can see a progression. Leon->Dante->Leon might be the same character progressing through each game. They really are kind of the same character.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
@berto it was years ago, well over a decade so trying to find that interview may be beyond my internet skills

But i have seen others quote it since and it seems it was itsuno himself who stated that nero in 4 was around the same age as dante in 3, and in 3 dante was 19 so nero would logically need to be at least 18 to be around that or 19 aswell

Also i googled what age is nero in 4 to double check and 19 comes up a lot but that is not ironclad by any means

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Yeah, if you play the classic versions you can see a progression. Leon->Dante->Leon might be the same character progressing through each game. They really are kind of the same character.
I'm kinda curious how the series would've continued if it stayed an RE project.

DMC REbirth ? Lol. I got the next reboot idea...;)

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
The dialogue, their actions and their general characterization are kinda... well, in spanish we say postizo, which is a word to describe a false replacement of very specific kind, in this case hair, teeth or body parts, namely those you can remove or exchange. False isn't the right word. Maybe sprayed on or even cosmetic? It's there but isn't quite real enough. Stock?
The word you're looking for is counterfeit, I think. "Made in imitation of something valuable with attempt to deceive". It checks out, given the plot of 5 is a rehash of 3 with sprinkles of 4 (and the DMC1 novel), and we're all supposed to care about these characters because they look like the ones we saw before and have a great connection to.

I know he's obsessed with power but he should know to talk about other things. It's like making a character who places his honor above everything else and making every other word that comes out of his mouth is 'honorable.'
It's so funny you say that because it makes it so obvious that the development team either forgot or ignored that when Dante asked Vergil to his face in DMC3 what he would even do with all the power he sought because it wouldn't put him any closer to being Sparda, Vergil refused to answer and tantrum-blurted "you're wasting time!"

Plus, those funny moments throughout the third game where he unceremoniously dispatches various defenseless adversaries (the groveling Hell Vanguard, a fully blinded Beowulf, Arkham in the middle of a sentence). He gave none of them the faith of an actual 1-on-1.

Straight up, Vergil didn't know what to do with the power he wanted. He didn't think of an answer. If he had (if the writers had), he'd have been able to reason it out and defend his position.

People there are hailing Itsuno as the great savior, one of them, even, but if you point out that Itsuno preferred DmC they lose their collective s**ts. There are people who actually think that's offencive to Itsuno and if you post the evidence you will never witness cope of this magnitude. Everything DmC, to DMC5 fans, gets red hate and I don't get why they get so ravenous except that that's how fanboys fanboy.
4chan be 4channing. There might be people in this very forum that will flip their wig if you quote Itsuno's "Ninja Theory are the kings of style" (paraphrased). It's not like he's wrong. Anyone that's played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and is waiting for Senua's Saga knows that Ninja Theory can actually make a good game, and more importantly, marry the narrative to the game mechanics and level design to get the story across while you press buttons, instead of the trap of video games being "movies where the plot stops and you press buttons to make the story keep going".

The failure of Capcom to tell DMC5's story in 5 (and 4's story in 4) is Capcom's alone. We're here looking up novels, manga, dev interviews, Twitch streams, artbooks, and whatever else just to figure out what's going on in one game. Everything that's told in a cutscene comes to a dead stop when the gameplay happens and the gameplay is "Beat up the enemy stylishly. Rinse, repeat." Level design, what's that?

Why did we need a book to tell us that Berial ruled Hell alone after Mundus's defeat when he we saw with our own eyes that he was dispatched like some cheap fodder and he himself never mentioned ruling all of Hell, just "the Fire Hell" implying other elemental Hells exist? We had a novel tell us that actually, DMC2 happened before 4 and Dante met Lucia again, he just doesn't care about her. Just ignore that the artbook for the tetralogy before 5's release was 3142 not 3124. What? Continuity? F You.

But nah, Ninja Theory bad, and only Ninja Theory, according to fanboys. They will never admit that when they saw the first trailer for DMC5, they didn't recognize Nero. They rationalized it was Nero. And Morrison being a black dude when he was white in the anime is a direct response/echo of Phineas in DmC and that character was voiced by a black actor.

Yeah, but that's everyone. Dante got his power up by stabbing himself, which means they made a meme into canon, Nero did the Dragonball thing and Vergil ate the fruit. No one earned their power up, the plot just needed them got one and they got it.
I don't disagree that the unearned b.s. happened to everyone and that Dante is a massive meme (I've said that in some other post), but the fact that we've been hovering behind Dante in every game in the series softens the blow somewhat. This was his Super Saiyan God ritual after we've already followed him around for most of his life where he got beaten up, Zenkai'd, and had training montages, and his victory against Mundus remains a narrow defeat/clutch victory thanks to Trish's intervention. 5 can't erase those events. Developer incompetence might, though.

Vergil eating from the Tree of Might is just egregious in comparison, like if Raditz came back and pulled that exact plot from the movie and now he's stronger than Black Freeza (thereby stronger than UI Goku and UE Vegeta).

Nero had a Gohan moment and got into his feelings super hard. Can't wait for him to repeat that character arc a dozen more times on loop, exactly like Gohan. DMC6 will feature Nero losing his arm again. And Kyrie will be kidnapped and in danger again. And Nero will care about another dead family member that he didn't show feelings about in the game they actually died in again.

Yeah, but Dante got it worse. He was originally supposed to have intellect far above that of a normal human and how he thinks hitting something is using his brain too much. In his case it wasn't retroactively, it was intentionally and purposefully.
Insert my post of how the anime hoed Dante's characterization here.

Remember when he repeatedly trashed characters for wanting revenge for their siblings' unjust deaths and wrote off victimized/possessed humans as lost causes he wouldn't bother to save?

At this point we have no clear reasons why he even does his job except for the fact that he's been doing it in the last few games, and he simply wants to kill things and humans leave messy corpses. The intelligence he had in DMC1 that had him determine on sight that Trish was a demon is not exhibited anywhere beyond that game, otherwise he would have pegged V as bad news and not allowed Trish and Lady to go ahead of him to fight Urizen.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. More than anything, those two have lost the thing that made them, well, them. The light or the fire they had. or whatever poetic term you want to use. This isn't a 5 issue, this is a 4 and on issue. If they don't know what to do with Dante then they really are at a loss as who and what Lady and Trish are and who they're supposed to be. These personalities are not them nor what made them significant.
It's tragic; Lady and Trish served their future characterizations on a silver platter to the dev team at the end of their debut games but Lady becomes "gold-digger who throws her work on Dante's lap" even though it was her mission to stop more Arkham-type enemies from cropping up, and Trish is content being a sociopath who gets people killed even though she's the closest thing we have to seeing how a devil behaves when they awaken their humanity.

That would've been hilarious. But, yeah, that's a good way to describe all the major plot points in this game. Convenient. Well, it sure is convenient Dante's sword can now combine him and Sparda together. Isn't it great that Dante had Rebellion at all, considering it was shattered a month ago and he clearly didn't pick it back up. It sure is convenient the fruit had the same effect on Vergil otherwise his father would've clearly left him the short end of the stick. It sure is lucky that Dante didn't want to know the important plot points from Trish and V otherwise it would've spilled the plot. And how great is it that Nero's powerups now work off willpower and not Kyrie love.
Oof, you said it. It's the worst kind of plot contrivance. Like, we're all adults here, we know that no fictional story exists without the writers deciding what goes into it. They're not making a documentary of a glimpse into an alternate universe where the events happened and are unalterable. This is a story, and to some degree, things are convenient whether to add stakes or humor or whatever else. But we're also here to be "deceived" in the sense that a story is most moving when its logic flows naturally and we believe that the actions characters take are the ones they would if they were around in reality to do it.

There's no sense in Dante unlocking his Sin form by pulling a meme on a hunch, or that Dante's and Vergil's swords have some weirdly disparate abilities from each other that they never exhibited before but somehow totally complements their characters, because it means Sparda was ridiculously clairvoyant to give Dante and Vergil the exact swords that they would need to unlock their abilities in that moment and no sooner. Sparda could somehow tell when his kids were the tender age of whatever, that Dante would need the Rebellion to carry him through his journey and Vergil would need the Yamato, that they would be driven apart through things beyond their control, etc. etc. So uh... why didn't he protect his family better? He gave his sons the perfect Devil Arms but he couldn't tell that Eva and the kids would be attacked soon after his death? If he even is dead anymore?
:unsure:

Only as long as the story fits it. Once it's inconvenient it goes away, too. It's very possible, if there is a next game, that none of 5 will matter, either. I said this when DMC5 came out (5 years ago, if you can bloody believe it), but we care more about the DMC canon than capcom does. Hell, we probably care more about it than most fans who are intentionally blind to any defects this game has.
We were the true fans all along. Cue sappy music, roll credits!
:LOL:

The sample script is interesting, but he seems older than 23 in the actual game. Like, he has a flashback to the last birthday he and Vergil had, and I doubt he'd remember the words his mom said when he was four. Does anyone remember things from when they were four? That, and Kamiya stated that DMC1 Dante was "a similar age to [Space Adventure] Cobra", who was 29 in his anime (older in the manga).

It was the one consistent thing across the new media: Dante is 19 in the third game, the manga takes place "nearly a year" before, and in the manga, Arkham relates a tale about Eva's death as a decade ago: "About 10 years ago…a woman was killed at the edge of town. It was an unusual death. Her home burned to the ground, and the cause of death was unclear."

Dante/Vergil lose Eva (8yo)
-> 10 years later the manga happens (18yo)
-> one year later the game happens (19yo)
-> Trish comes by and says Dante lost his mother and brother 20 years ago, setting this game nine years after the third one (28yo)
-> the anime happens, where Trish took a notable absence from the shop to work freelance (??yo)
-> DMC2 happens? I guess? (??yo)
-> DMC4 happens after Dante gets out of Hell in DMC2, and Nero is either "the same age as Dante in DMC3" (19) per Kobayashi, or he's 16-17 per the novel Deadly Fortune (placing Dante around 35-38yo) by Bingo
-> DMCV: Before the Nightmare is 5 years after the Fortuna event, and the anime and DMC2 are set a decade prior.
So then Dante is 40-43yo, the anime and 2 happened when he was 30(?) -> DMC5 proper is a year after BtN, thus 6 years after 4.
If Nero was 16-17 in DMC4, he's now 22-23. If he was 19, he's 25.

And the DMC1 novel now happens sometime before DMC3, where Dante gets amnesia after Eva died, fixes his amnesia an untold number of years later, fights Gilver who is Vergil, forgets that and doesn't bring it up when he actually sees Vergil nor reacts accordingly, etc. etc.

Of course, they did retcon Vergil's status post-childhood demon attack. Him being abducted by Mundus and brainwashed for 20 years makes perfect sense for why Dante wouldn't recognize his own brother that many years later. Dante not recognizing Vergil when the last time they saw each other was 9 or so years ago just makes him dumb (ignoring the novel). This is a fault of Capcom and Bingo being a bozo, as Bingo consulted Kamiya over that exact fact that Vergil being alive in 3 contradicts his kidnapping/presumed death, and Kamiya "approved" in the sense of, told him to make it clear it was an alternate universe, only for it not to be an alternate universe but main continuity.

I call Bingo a bozo here because he's also on record saying that "Vergil had no pre-existing design" and acting as if Vergil with a katana was his invention based off the existence of Yamato, when Vergil clearly had a human form design with a katana back in the DMC1 artbook, as his design then was based off of Sho Kosugi from Blind Fury (1989). It's right in the book:

It was decided from the beginning that Dante's brother Virgil would be a character with a Japanese sword, as opposed to Dante who handles a gun. He was drawn based on the concept of having a more vicious look than Dante, but the same height. The image was that of the villain in the movie "Blind Fury" (1990, USA). In the beginning, he was not supposed to look like a black knight, and he was to wear a suit while Dante was dressed roughly.

So like, whatever.

Everything was a decade ago, everything Sparda did was 2000 years ago. Things are canon until they're not. This timeline is The Simpsons.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The word you're looking for is counterfeit, I think.
No. That's too negative a word. You don't get false teeth or an glass eye or a prosthetic leg to deceive people. You get those out of need. You're still using a fake eye but it's not for malicious reasons. I guess the closest word is English is prosthetic but that'd make no sense. Patch work?
Remember when he repeatedly trashed characters for wanting revenge for their siblings' unjust deaths and wrote off victimized/possessed humans as lost causes he wouldn't bother to save?
The guy who made the anime was also the director of the heavily criticized Berserk anime so he was definitely not the guy for the job.

As for the character misinterpretation, yeah, that's the same s**t they did in 2. There's this archetype in Japanese media, the hero who says he doesn't care but in truth is just pretending. They have stupid lines like 'I'm not here to save the world, I just came to settle the score for that one time you beat me.' It's silly and rather Dante was far more sincere than that. When they did it in 3 he came off as a right a$$h073 but he eventually got sincere. Well, e says a'hole crap like that but never drops the actual a'hole attitude. If you pull it off it can come off well but that's not the issue. The issue is that Dante was not that type of hero; he was, as pointed above, the same kind of hero Leon was in 2 and 4, the stereotypical kind who goes out of his way to save others.
At this point we have no clear reasons why he even does his job except
He technically doesn't in the anime. The fact is he is such slug in the show who refuses to do anything.
The intelligence he had in DMC1 that had him determine on sight that Trish was a demon is not exhibited anywhere beyond that game
Oh, yeah. Or how about the fact that actually read books in 1, which he doesn't do anywhere else. In fact, in the anime they go out of their way to mention how he'd never set foot at a library.
The sample script is interesting, but he seems older than 23 in the actual game.
Yeah, but since there is no concrete frame of reference that one could say will stay as such I take my DMC1 canon only from DMC1. Everything I take as the rewrites.

I'm sure your calculations are right for what it is with every other game but DMC1 is my DMC game and I tend to not attach it to the others if I can. I try to keep it, and its lore, on their own side of the tracks.

Also, why are those the numbers? Why can't DMC2 take place 3 months after DMC4 (or 1)? Where ever it is that the canon places the order. Why is everything years and years apart? DMC5 doesn't have to be all those years later. How about just one year? 6 months? I know all these big events so close together would be worrisome but I think they space things too far apart.
fights Gilver who is Vergil
Not anymore, it seems. According to the new light novel (Before the Nightmare) Gilver was, basically, a shadow clone of Vergil.
I call Bingo a bozo here
I won't go that far. He also wrote Bayonetta 2 and DMC3 so he's got some high points, too. Apparently Kamiya also worked on these titles. In 3 he didn't do any production work. Apparently it was advisory. What he contributed is mentioned in the interviews on the back of 3142.
The image was that of the villain in the movie "Blind Fury" (1990, USA).
I couldn't believe it when I read this. I used to watch that movie on HBO when I was a kid. I honestly didn't think anyone else had ever seen or heard of it and there is SHinji Mikami talking about how the movie had influenced Vergil's creation. Crazy, bro.
and Kamiya "approved"
If I remember correctly he also told them to go nuts, not to get overly attached to the DMC1 story. I don't remember any mention of clarifying that it's not the same continuity but it has been years since I read through that book.
Everything was a decade ago, everything Sparda did was 2000 years ago. Things are canon until they're not. This timeline is The Simpsons.
artworks-000634676785-j4qfvq-t500x500.jpg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto
Patch work fits what you are going for.

I'm surprised they jumped around so much. Setting 3 after 2 makes the most sense lol.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It really is amusing the comparisons to Dragon Ball, especially with Nero being like Gohan where it feels like the writers want to retire Dante and have Nero take the spotlight but are really reluctant to do so and so kept the door open by just sending Dante to Hell in case the fans don't respond well enough to Nero as the solo lead.

The real question I have is are they going to acknowledge the entire world becoming aware of Demons/Hell now going forward? :unsure:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It really is amusing the comparisons to Dragon Ball, especially with Nero being like Gohan where it feels like the writers want to retire Dante and have Nero take the spotlight but are really reluctant to do so and so kept the door open by just sending Dante to Hell in case the fans don't respond well enough to Nero as the solo lead.

The real question I have is are they going to acknowledge the entire world becoming aware of Demons/Hell now going forward? :unsure:
probably not because they ignored doing it with 3. But they dont really loose much by doing so and it gives them an easy shorthand for new characters ie governments collecting Qlipoth samples or the qlipoth had more effects than just realeasing demons.

I'm hoping they do.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
They wrote themselves into a corner with dante and vergil, now they are on good terms and rivals rather than enemies who enjoy a good fight

Thet have no threat to them, or nero now.Threats from hell will be taken down by the sparda twins, so it makes u wonder what nero will even have to fight besides fodder that comes through under the radar.

Unless they go the route of the first demon(who i think should be Cain), or sparda himself but corrupted and with his full power back, there is nowhere for the story to go now. That to me is disappointing as it leaves it stagnant.

Top Bottom