• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If Capcom paid IGN, then Ryan would've given the PS3 version an 8.9 too. And if Capcom always pays IGN, then Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City wouldn't have gotten a 4.0.

IncarnatedDemon

If Capcom paid IGN, then Ryan would've given the PS3 version an 8.9 too. And if Capcom always pays IGN, then Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City wouldn't have gotten a 4.0.
I did not mean that Capcom pays IGN regulary so that they give their games a good score.

It could be that Capcom pays IGN x money for game A because it's a AAA title, but doesnt pay IGN anything for game B because it's a small game.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Just because it isn't trying to be an anime anymore.

Yeah, that's true.

View attachment 589

View attachment 590

It's amazing to me how DMC4 was criticised up and down for being similar to Bleach in some ways, and then DmC came along and "borrowed" entire plot concepts from it wholesale.

Yep, I'm sure glad they made a grounded character piece instead of a shonen-esque good vs evil power fantasy with constipated power up sequences!

View attachment 591

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah, that's true.

View attachment 589

View attachment 590

It's amazing to me how DMC4 was criticised up and down for being similar to Bleach in some ways, and then DmC came along and "borrowed" entire plot concepts from it wholesale.

Yep, I'm sure glad they made a grounded character piece instead of a shonen-esque good vs evil power fantasy with constipated power up sequences!

View attachment 591
Does one thing that could draw a similarity to an overrated anime show really compare to an entire series that takes so much influence from anime all along?

This is stupid and grasping for straws. Geez, enough of this stupid bs. This is one thing that just represents a character battling with himself which has been done even many times before Bleach. DMC is like an anime in its own right. The character designs sport typical anime flare and all.

"DmC borrows concepts wholesale." DmC is similar to anyone who's seen movies like They Live or The Matrix. DMC 3 however is a prime example as it shamelessly lifts it's plot from Inuyasha and the similarities are downright uncanny for the most part. Nice try but, you are really just making yourself look silly.

Very weak attempt.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And before anyone tries to come in with even more stupid crap I'm just going to clarify everything.

I don't think DmC's story is fantastic or something to write home about. If you ask me DmC just pays more homage to its predecessors when it decides to take influence an inspiration from other things because hey, DMC did that all the time with anime. It's not that this makes it bad but, it doesn't make it all that special. Especially since DMC is just terrible at telling stories anyway.

DMC was all over the place and just riddled with plot holes and continuity issues. DMC 3 flat out contradicts the established canon of the first game and every sequel to Devil May Cry since the first has basically erased the 1st game from existence. It's like it never happened. DmC has the benefit of leaving things purposely open ended and unanswered because you can tell DmC has a sequel in mind when telling the tale.

Yea I'll criticize DMC for having unoriginal plots,terrible and awkeward exposition, and bad story telling prowess. Just like I'll criticize DmC for having a pretty uninspired story as well. The level design and aesthetics are the most original parts of the game.

The stories both suck. Luckily I still get some pretty fun games around them. I think both versions shine in their own right but are also both undeniably flawed. You might like that whole anime vibed Devil May Cry better and that's you. I quite frankly just don't care. I don't think that anime identity needs to be there for Devil May Cry to exist as a video game and again I understand the intention behind DmC and I'm willing to judge it on its own merit.

DMC is Earth 616
DmC is Ultimate Devil May Cry

That's how I view them end of story. And at the end of the day, I still personally think DMC 1 is the best of them all.

IncarnatedDemon

The concept of Hollow isn't something Bleach made.

But my observation of HollowVergil is that he looks very Bleach.

White colour dominates his appearance (Hollow Ichigo same)
The battle between Vergil and HollowVergil happened within Vergil's Soul or a "dream world", similar to Bleach where battle happened inside Ichigo's Soul.
Vergil losing his heart, a hollow in Bleach does not have a heart

Vergil losing his powers to HollowVergil through amulet, kinda similar to Ichigo losing his powers to HollowIchigo because HollowIchigo became the dominant force inside Soul world (previously was Zangetsu).
When Ichigo used Zangetsu it gave HollowIchigo a opportunity to take over the body of Ichigo, and when Vergil used Dobbelganger move , the dobbelganger stole the amulet, which resulted in Vergil losing his powers.

The desert area with a dead tree looks awfully similar to Hueco Mundo.

There are three possible explainations as to where HollowVergil concept comes from:
1) Bleach
2) Coincedence (The concept artist just came up with idea without any influence other than his own creativity)
3) Comes from a other source than Bleach

Personally i think it looks very similar to Bleach.
Even the speech HollowVergil gives to Vergil is similar to the speech HollowIchigo gives to IChigo.

But as i said, things are not always what they seem like. It could be a coincedence or it could come from a different source (a different serie, cartoon, tv show etc)

It will be interesting if anyone has something decent to present other than "It's not from Bleach bla bla bla!".

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
My opinion on hollow!Vergil; Capcom forced that one on NT, since DmC in itself seemed to avoid so many of the anime cliches that riddles DMC3 and 4 up until Downfall.
Someone at Capcom is clearly a Bleach fanatic considering how much they keep ripping it off in DMC since 4

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Very weak attempt.
Sums up all of his posts rather adequately... :ermm:

Edit: I guess this means my avi is too "anime-ish" -- despite the fact that he was made by a western comic book company, starring in a western game that uses the dreaded western unreal 3 engine. :steve:

Screw the West. The East is where it's at. :lol:

GF9000000Returns

Eh..no biggie. I always thought that Hollow Vergil was like Hichigo.

The concept of Hollow isn't something Bleach made.

But my observation of HollowVergil is that he looks very Bleach.

White colour dominates his appearance (Hollow Ichigo same)
The battle between Vergil and HollowVergil happened within Vergil's Soul or a "dream world", similar to Bleach where battle happened inside Ichigo's Soul.
Vergil losing his heart, a hollow in Bleach does not have a heart

Vergil losing his powers to HollowVergil through amulet, kinda similar to Ichigo losing his powers to HollowIchigo because HollowIchigo became the dominant force inside Soul world (previously was Zangetsu).
When Ichigo used Zangetsu it gave HollowIchigo a opportunity to take over the body of Ichigo, and when Vergil used Dobbelganger move , the dobbelganger stole the amulet, which resulted in Vergil losing his powers.

The desert area with a dead tree looks awfully similar to Hueco Mundo.

There are three possible explainations as to where HollowVergil concept comes from:
1) Bleach
2) Coincedence (The concept artist just came up with idea without any influence other than his own creativity)
3) Comes from a other source than Bleach

Personally i think it looks very similar to Bleach.
Even the speech HollowVergil gives to Vergil is similar to the speech HollowIchigo gives to IChigo.

But as i said, things are not always what they seem like. It could be a coincedence or it could come from a different source (a different serie, cartoon, tv show etc)

It will be interesting if anyone has something decent to present other than "It's not from Bleach bla bla bla!".

At least it sounds better than a cliche anime love story BS about saving some girl from the baddies. And people wonder why people lost interest in Bleach during the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc.

IncarnatedDemon

Eh..no biggie. I always thought that Hollow Vergil was like Hichigo.

At least it sounds better than a cliche anime love story BS about saving some girl from the baddies. And people wonder why people lost interest in Bleach during the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc.
What sounds better than a cliche anime love story? What anime? Be spesific.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
...Well Bleach IS a tad bit overrated. It doesn't make it bad though by any means. It's a good anime, not just the best or as grand as most people make it out to be...

in my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom