• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching right now?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Watched Don't Look Up yesterday - was pretty good.

Still working my way through Elementary on Amazon Prime and waiting for the next episode of The Messed Up Church on YouTube

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
As someone who very nearly became an architect, this sort of thing always fascinates me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Best of the Best (1989) - A martial arts movie based around a Tae Kwan Do tournament. Team USA vs. Team Korea. Starring Phillip Ree, Eric Roberts, and James Earl Jones. Earl Jones plays as the coach. That man always has an awesome and commanding presence around him no matter what he plays. It's your typical sports film a la Karate Kid and Rocky, but the movie definitely has its unique charms and twists. Why the **** did critics hate this movie again? Don't answer that, I am being rhetorical. I am gonna be honest, better than most of the Rocky sequels released in the 80s and early 90s.

The action scenes are good, the movie never feels too slow or fast, and the movie has some genuine heartwarming moments. I won't lie, I did tear up little towards the end. Not spoiling it. The only flaw I can mention is two of the guys on Team USA, Sonny and Virgil, don't have much development or personality. With Sonny getting even less. Phillip's character, Tommy, and Eric's character, Alex, both have character motivation and an arc. Even Travis, the team jack ass gets something by learning to be less of a jack ass. It explains why Sonny and Virgil are dropped in the sequels. It's sad, because Sonny is from Detroit. It's still nice to get some city representation. Another flaw, is there is one training montage song that tries so hard to be Eye of the Tiger without legally using it. It didn't bother me, but stuck out so hard.

The last time I saw this movie was back in the 90s on either Cinemax, Showtime, or HBO with my older brother. I think we watched BotB 2 a couple of times, but we never saw 3 or 4. I do recommend it, if you're looking for a reminder of the time when karate movies were the rage. It's a good movie and holds up well for me.

Phillip Ree wrote, but did not direct the story for this movie. He wrote and directed 3 and 4, though. That explains so much why there were two more sequels after 2.

Best of the Best 2 (1993) - This is where the franchise start going over the top. More action and more fighting. This ain't a martial arts tournament anymore. This is underground fight clubbing. The sequel is the equivalent and combination of Bloodsport and Rocky IV. Friend (Travis) of the protag(s) enter in a tournament/fight and gets killed by a big buff Russian dude. Tommy and Alex have to avenge him. The cheese factor is high in this movie, but in a good, classic, vintage 90s action movie way. Definitely entertaining, and the action is pretty good and more of it. Phillip Ree is clearly the main star attraction even though Eric Robert's character is just as involved. Once it gets to No Turning Back and Without Warning, it's all about Tommy and he is the only returning character for the rest of the franchise. I'll finish off the last two films later today.

Another thing I noticed and this more so coincidence, but plot feels like something you see come out of a 90s fighting game from SNK. It just screams something they would make. Nothing wrong with that; I'm just rambling. Also, you get some more training montages, but not as entertaining and over-the-top as the special one in the original.

Best of the Best 3: No Turning Back (1995) - This is the one where Tommy (Phillip Rhee) fights Neo Nazi skinheads! The action gets even better! Surprisingly, when it comes to discussing racism and hatred in a straight to video action film, it does not come off as hokey and cheesy, but there are cheesy moments in one of the action scenes. The genuine heartwarming scenes and sad scenes. Interesting trivia, apparently the original script (called No Turning Back) had a black man as the lead role, and he was a marine returning from the Gulf War. Rhee loved the script so much, he produced it and asked for it re-written to fit Tommy's character and be part of the BotB franchise.

It's sad that we never got see the original version of what could have been, but it's still a good movie. Tommy's arc is basically coming to grips from killing the main big bad from the last movie. It's not focused that much, but it's nice to see some acknowledgment and this movie saying the last movie indeed did happen. I do love the scenes where Tommy shows his kind heartedness and helps those have been victimized. Very human and shows the movie and character still has heart. Another thing I noticed is that each sequel seems to add another relative to Tommy we did not know about in the next film. 2 has Tommy's uncle and 3 has his sister. This a big retcon especially for 3, as we get flashbacks to Tommy's childhood in the first film and she is never mentioned. These movies seem to have everybody famous you would not expect. Or someone who get famous or more well known later in their filming career. Chris McDonald is the town sheriff, and R. Lee Ermey is the leader/"preacher" for the white supremacists group. Did not expect either of these actors to show up.

Best of the Best 4: Without Warning (1998) - The last one in the franchise. Tommy Lee takes on Russian mobster that are running a counter fit operation. Tobin Bell (John "Jigsaw" Kramer) puts on his best Russian accent as the main villain, and Ernie Hudson is your typical hard ass with a heart detective. There is not as much action as in 2 or 3, but still plenty of it. There's some dodgy CG/blue-screen effects that shows you how low the budget was. They even CG in a orange helicopter in the beginning heist scene. Yet, they use a real chopper later in one of the chase scenes towards the last third of the movie. Also, Tommy now has daughter that is 6 years old. Though mother is different, meaning things did not work for his previous love interest in 3. Though his wife is already dead and passed we found out later in the movie. This does create a weird continuity error in time, because 3 took place in 95. If his daughter is turning 6, then that would place the movie in either 2000 or 2001. Yet it feels like it takes place in 1998; the year the film released. Whatever.

A nice way to go out on the franchise. Apparently Rhee is going to reboot the franchise, but I don't know when that is coming out. Here's the best action scene in this movie:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I also started rewatching the West Wing cause I need comfort food.

"Nightmare Alley" is great.

Last edited:

Dark Prince

The Alpha & The Omega
I don't understand if anyone purchased whole editing software then why Indian movies are so dramatic or they lock people in a room and pay them like: "look man I need some crazy edits for this cutscenes so people lose their minds" (no offense to Indian people) :ROFL::

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Reminiscence (2021)

It's a fun sci-fi noir mashup. Jackman trades in his spandex and claws for a rumpled suit. All he needed was a fedora and he'd be classic PI from the 30s.

Jackman is playing Nick, an ex-veteran in the future who runs a business allowing people to relive their memories. He uses the machine to track down his lost lover and gets embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding the death of a rich tycoon.

The film is set in a futuristic Miami where the tides are rising, leading to wars over land and tycoons profiting off deciding who gets to live. The worldbuilding is well done and unintrusive.

The film has great performances although I wished Thandie Newton's character had a bigger role in the last quarter. She plays Watts, Nick's old army buddy and partner in business. She steals the show in the first half. Jackman and Newton have an easy chemistry and sell Nick and Watts as old friends who are looking out for each other but also fed up with the other's bullshit. They aren't lovers but they aren't family either.

Rebecca Ferguson plays Mae, a singer Nick falls in love with. Her initial disappearance haunts Nick and his suspicions worsen when she is connected to drug dealers. Mae is two film noir Staples "the lost lenore" and "the femme fatale" mixed together.

The mystery itself is decent with its twists being rewarding but it can be long. This movie is close to two hours so map out your viewing accordingly.

Dark Prince

The Alpha & The Omega
Oh Marky Marky Mark your time has come but slowly now I should celebrate :cool: but I think Mark still act like robot or alien in court :ROFL:.
Show Off Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

Sipping Mark Zuckerberg GIF

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
A very interesting watch. It seems the hubris of people who think they can improve works of art never changes over the years.

Top Bottom