• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What did you think of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...the DT designs in each of the DMC games? Did they meet your expectations of what a devil form of that character/weapon would look like? Did you like them or hate them, or have any particular thoughts on them?

Personally the only DT (and strictly speaking it ain't one) that I really like, is Sparda's. There's just something totally appropriate to me about his form and even the strangeness and awkwardness of it. The other is Nero's - or rather the idea of the demonic presence materialising behind and above him that I really liked, rather than a demonic form fusing with him and his clothes, as in DMC1 or 3.

Other devil forms such as Ifrit or Alastor were all right, as it sort of implies the temporary take over of your character by the soul in the devil arm. There's something really weird about the ones in DMC3 to me, though. They look a bit too reptilian (or something) for my liking.

In DMC2 I didn't much like the DT forms. Although Dante's majin form reminds me vaguely of Nelo Angelo and Nero's DT.

And Nelo Angelo I can't class as a DT since it appears to be actual armour and not a true form. Loved it, though. It really oozes a sense of rock-like immovable power, and the idea of him looking as though he's made of metal or stone I rather liked as well, as it befits his character as it turns out.

...You?

Edit: Oh, I also thought Credo's DT form was interesting as it wasn't so obviously demonic, but really quite aesthetically pleasing rather than looking brutish or twisted. When I think about it, it must have been difficult decisions along the way for the developers choosing a suitable demonic form for Dante and Co. in each game - trying not to be too cliche, but at the same time retaining culturally-recognisable demonic (or angelic) features, like horns and claws, cloven hoofs, wings and feathers and things like that. Having the form fuse with the character's clothing was an interesting idea, although I'm still not sure if I like it, or the more bestial forms they came up with such as Lucia's DT or Vergil and Dante's in 3.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I actually quite liked his normal DMC2 DT. The Majin form was awesome the first time I saw it, but after that it just looked like a really tall, really OP'd Sparda DT.

Dante's DMC3 Nevan DT looks awesome as well, because the helmet he gets looks like a knight's helmet. His A&R DT and Beowulf DT are tied for 3rd place after that.

Then in fourth place is the DMC1 Ifrit DT, and last but certainly not least is Nero's DT.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
His both DTs in DMC2 were my favorites.

In DMC3 A&R and Rebellion and Vergils DTS were good too.

Ifrit is one of my favs

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I know its not DT as such, but i quite like the Dreadnought DT (when i first saw it in-game it freaked the heck outta me).

I also like Vergil's Beowulf (because its blue).

TBH, i don't remember Alastor or Ifrit. I haven't played on DMC for aaages.

Surely Sparda did have a DT? Especially if he had a human form?
(just a thought)

I agree that Nelo Angelo isn't a DT form... You know what i think, but, i'll repeat it... i think Vergil's soul animates/inhabits the armor.

moseslmpg

I also really like the Sparda DT, as it seems quintessentially demonic with its amalgamation of many symbols for devils, such as the horns, hooves, bat wings, insect wings, reptilian aspects, etc.

I also really liked the DDT, since it just looked so badass, and the 2 pairs of wings was pretty epic. To me it kind of looked like what would happen if Nelo and Dante combined. Of course, DDT came out of nowhere so it was weird.

DMC3 DTs: I disliked these, because they seemed more like nematodes or robotic space clowns to me. The stripy pants and bright colors didn't help. But I was willing to give them a pass since I rationalized it by saying that it was just the larval stages of their DTs.

DMC1: I actually really liked these, because they were so mysterious and badass, which is something I don't think the series has recaptured. Sure, if you look at them, they don't appear all that complex, but that kind of organic, smoky obsidian look was just badass to me. And at least they had horns and some small variation between each other. These are like the Batman of DTs IMO.

DMC2: I actually liked this one a lot as well, and I thought they way they fused the clothes and the DT was well done. Given that Dante wasn't using a real DA, I saw this as his basic DT form using his own power. I liked the moving wings, but hated the DT abilities and the lack of clear demonic features. It still looks like it has a logical connection to DMC1 DT though, mainly due to the spiky hair. In the beta for DMC2, the DT face was actually that of Nelo but in black with gold veins and some blood on the face. I'm glad they changed it.

As for Lucia and the Secretaries, I really liked them, because they looked so avian. But I don't think they looked demonic. They might be related to the Fallen though.

DMC4: HATED IT. Not only was it basically a Sentai Ranger (Red Psycho Ranger, check it out), it made no sense in connecting DMC1 to DMC2. It didn't look remotely demonic or scary and is better referred to as the spiky ladybug of DTs. On the flipside, I LOVED the concept DTs in the artbook. And I thought Dreadnought had a cool design as well.

Nero's DT was alright in concept, but the design of Vergil's developed DT is kind of stupid IMO, due to it trying to build on his DMC3 DT. The helmet and antennae are just dumb, and the buttwings...just stop doing that.

Nelo: Forgot to mention him. I actually really like his design and his "drizzled" horns. I thought the idea of demonic armor was badass. In case someone people haven't seen it, the beta had him in a lighter palette. I don't know if people have seen the white and gold Nelo, but that is how I picture him under Mundus' servitude, at official functions or something.

----

What I'd like to see is more DT forms that pay homage to the twins' heritage in Sparda, like with a similar horn shape. I'd also like to see greater variation in DT type, variations on a theme. Like, for water element weapons have more wavy lines and flowing horns, maybe a finned tail. Stuff like that. I'd also like to see DTs with multiple upgradeable levels, with each becoming more demonic.

It is then of course no surpsise that those ideas went into the fangame...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Vergil'sB*tch;264697 said:
Surely Sparda did have a DT? Especially if he had a human form?
(just a thought)

He probably did, I just mean that his trigger form as we know it from in-game DT was the same as his true form when he was a full devil. Or at least, that's the impression I got from the DMC1 intro with Sparda apparently in Hell, and it looks like his usual DT form to me, the same one as Arkham steals when he gets the Force Edge and assumes Sparda's 'image'. I figured this was the form he had when he was a devil and lived in the Underworld, and they used it as his DT as well.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
@moses: I actually had an idea for a water DT not too long ago. It had a long, finned tail with scales all over it's body, large horns similar to Sparda's, and a reptilian-like head, sort of like a Blade or an Assault. It also had large wing-like fins on it's back in the same shape as Sparda's wing-covers. It's basic attacks consisted of sword attacks mixed in with claw slashes/kicks/tail whips.

moseslmpg

DMC needs to venture in that territory with more variation in DTs and elemental weapons.

Although, I don't think an aquatic DT needs wings. A dorsal fin maybe. I think all DTs should have either wings, a tail, or horns though.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
You guys prefer the bestial-type DTs? I prefer them looking like armoured corruptions of their human selves... 8D

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;264704 said:
DMC needs to venture in that territory with more variation in DTs and elemental weapons.

Although, I don't think an aquatic DT needs wings. A dorsal fin maybe. I think all DTs should have either wings, a tail, or horns though.

Did you like how I varied it's attack style utilizing not only it's sword, but it's claws, feet and tail?

Also, you have a point about the wing-fins. I just thought that they would be able to help the DT form move in water, but they'd actually create a lot of drag.

moseslmpg

I don't prefer them per se, but they need a way to represent the soul of the DA. I am more of a fan of the corrupted look, but not necessarily armored.

Really, I think it shoul depend on what type of demons the DA comes from. If you got a DA from a Shadow, I'd want the DT to be wispy and sort of like Blackheart from MVC. If you got a DA from an Earth demon, I would expect it to be bulkier and maybe more armored.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
The Sparda form was cool I liked the design of the horns.
Majin form
Dreadnought form
Ifrit
I much prefer devil forms that are black or mostly black it looks more evil and dangerous. I also liked Lucia's angelic looking form from DMC2 it was a nice welcome change.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I prefer the most inhuman DT's. The reason I like Nevan's DT is because it covers Dante's face completely, making him lose any humanity the other DMC3 DT's have.

EDIT: Damn, I forgot about Lucia's "AT" (Angel Trigger). That is my new favorite.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
oh, i never thought of Lucia's form. I did like that come to think of it... it was kinda beautiful... in a weird angelic/demonic type of way.
Thats what i miss... the wings for flying.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black

i actually liked the DMC4 DT
DMC3 DT's...gotta say Rebellion + Agni & Rudra
DMC2 looked too much like Vergil
DMC1 kinda hated them (minus Sparda) warped my visual of Alastor (played Viewtiful Joe 1st)

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Likely not a popular answer, but I liked DMC4 Dante's DT too. Not because of how it looked (He really does kinda look like an insect or a germ) so much as for the fact that it was consistent. For some reason the changing DT forms kinda bug me. But I'm a little ocd like that I guess.

I mean, I'm sure they have reasons for it which I've yet to wrap my mind around. But in my little noggin, it doesn't make so much sense to me - his blood doesn't change due to the weapon he holds. Why should his DT?

So since it's consistent, I've come to accept it in spite of the germ look. :p It's Dante, as opposed to whatever weapon Dante happens to be using.

So I'd like to see them build on this idea. Instead of changing drastically in looks, as Dante gets stronger, his DT changes subtly to reflect that and gains little additions like larger aura, larger flame-based attacks, maybe his footsteps begin to smolder behind him, phoenix-like wings... stuff that keeps the red/hellfire essence without changing the basic Dante DT design. I also dig the DT voice in 4. X)

Vampi

^ That's the thing. It doesn't make it consistant. His DMC 4 DT looks like DMC 3 DT version 1.5. And DMC 4 Dante has come a long way since DMC 3, so his DMC 4 DT doesn't make any sense really in the way it looks.

His DA SHOULD reflect on his DT since they influence his powers alot. DMC 1 did that perfectly and i still haven't seen it represented since that game.

I think you dig too much of whatever Capcom throws at Dante and don't question it just cause its on Dante...know what i mean...

On topic: The best DT for Dante is of course his Majin DDT one from DMC 2 and his DMC 1 and DMC 2 DT. DMC 3 being his worse and DMC 4 being his 2nd worst DT looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom