• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where did their angel part has gone? O.O

White Angel

This morning I was playing VD and at a certain point I thought "There's something....strange...that doesn't work...something missing", inf fact Dante and Vergil weren't suposed to be half angel and half deamon???

So after seeing everything of the story I noticed that they are developed as half human/devil not as nephilim are supposed to be, I mean their half angel part seems not to exist at all!
Where did it has gone when Dante was killing his brother?(and actually he did kill Vergil -_- )And more important where it was when Vergil needed it???Why only his half deamon part was able to influence him?

I know that now you all will start saying that the deamon part can overcome the angel part but I feel like it doesn't exist!Yes it's the weakest part of them but IT IS THERE!!!It should try to re-establish the balance between the parts but nothing!It did nothing!Like it doesn't exist...
Like NT forgot about it and everything they setted to create a naphilim.

What do you think about it?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You're right. They don't show the angel side much. It's like it was used only for a gameplay mechanic at times.

I think the main example I can think of where they use the angel side is with Dante. His memories of his mother...I guess they give him his 'humanity' and his ability to start to care about something more than himself. Like when he wants to save Kat, and says he would spare Lilith's life as long as she did what he said.

As for Vergil...it is shown that he rejects his mother, his angel side, and lets his demonic side take over.

But you're right, they should use the angel side more.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It really is there only as a fluff bit of character background to justify the Light and Heavy stances, and really did nothing in terms of actual story since both Dante and Vergil effectivally function like Cambions instead of "Cambilim"...since a NEPHilim is a HUMAN/Angel hybrid, not DEMON/Angel.

I get the feeling someone at NT played Darksiders, saw that they used the term nephilim, and didn't bother to research...

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
To me it seems that they used the angel thingy purely for background story and barely did anything with it during the actual story.

I think Nephilim is a pretty common concept, and I doubt they looked at darksiders for inspiration. As for the angel stuff, I mean its pretty obvious it influences Dante, otherwise, he would have just killed his brother and not listened to Kat. I thought that was the whole point, Vergil on the surface is all blue and angelic, but inside he's more sparda, where as Dante is red and reckless on the outside, but on the inside he's most like his mother in that he cares for people and humanity.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
But the angel aspect plays not at all into Dante having a sense of compassion since that was always established in Classic DMC even when he was half-human. They added the Angel aspect to make him "more unique" but it's not effect in teh story at all., They never explain WHY only a Demon/Angel hybrid could kill mundus or WHY being that kind of Hybrid let them slip between worlds.

But the angel aspect plays not at all into Dante having a sense of compassion since that was always established in Classic DMC even when he was half-human. They added the Angel aspect to make him "more unique" but it's not effect in teh story at all., They never explain WHY only a Demon/Angel hybrid could kill mundus or WHY being that kind of Hybrid let them slip between worlds.

Okay, yeah, they could expand a lot more on that, hopefully they will.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
They never explain WHY only a Demon/Angel hybrid could kill mundus or WHY being that kind of Hybrid let them slip between worlds.
That's actually a good point. I figure that anyone could lure him away from the hell gate, snipe him in the head or something.....problem solved.:p I don't think only Dante and Vergil could do that. At the least a ****ed off demon could do it, or an angel if they were around. Just lure him out and snipe him.

Romy

You're expecting angels to be some "good" and "divine" creatures but as I understood it, it's not about good or evil. At least that's not how angels are portrayed in DmC.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You're expecting angels to be some "good" and "divine" creatures but as I understood it, it's not about good or evil. At least that's not how angels are portrayed in DmC.
They could be as judgemental and cruel as demons for all we know. The only angel we know anything about is Eva, and she ****ed off a load of demons for being with Sparda....and probably angered a load of angels at the same time.

Plus willingly having nephilim children knowing they were going to be on the hit list of the demon king....that's really nice of her.

Romy

They could be as judgemental and cruel as demons for all we know. The only angel we know anything about is Eva, and she ****ed off a load of demons for being with Sparda....and probably angered a load of angels at the same time.

Plus willingly having nephilim children knowing they were going to be on the hit list of the demon king....that's really nice of her.

Exactly. Angels can't be all that good, especially when they wield weapons such as Osiris. They certainly don't bless their enemies with a ****ing scythe. XD Nah, it's a point of view about good and evil in DmC. And yeah, Eva certainly wasn't all that a good angel since she didn't follow probably the most important rule - not getting involved with demons.

Jerry Wirerammer

The whole Mundus can only be killed by a Nephilim thing may be based on a prophecy or legend rather than fact?

As for the Angle side of the twins, I think Nt were probably saving that for a sequel? Not only would it have provided a decent narrative, if would have also given them scope to add new moves/abilities.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Wasn't the Angel side to give the brothers a more substantial connection to their mother? And of course it's downplayed, the game's called Devil May Cry.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Well, the Angels are likey GOOD on teh alignemnt since teh comic mentions Sparda turning coat and fighting for the humans. However, just because you're good ALIGNED doesn't mean you're NICE about it. Vergil's plans had good intentions, butu he still looked at the idea of "they are chaotic out of control children, I must proptect the humans even FROM THEMSELVES." Angels are beautiful and terrible, and while they do deliver from evil, they are also wrathful vengence...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
They could think like Vergil; humans being like children who need protection from themselves...or that humans are terrible sinners and need direcion. That sort of thing.
Maybe angels would be worse than Mundus. Control humans openly instead of with drinks and media. Now that would be interesting to see.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Dante unlocked the demon side of him. Now its the angel piece he needs to unlock. ONCE they're both unleashed, his full potential as a nephilim will be revealed.

TheNoHeartedBeing

I think that the angels will be Dantes, and Vergils enemies. The demons dosnt like angels and the angels dosnt like demons. I doubt the angels liked Eva as much when they saw she was sleeping with a demon. Even if it was true love. Demons are evil in the eyes of mankind and angels.

Top Bottom