• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Yamato is the way it is in DmC

Vergil's fighting style is based on the Iaido (see below) fighting technique, and I think the blade looks awesome and there's a reason its slightly out of the scabbard, its because he's ready to strike at any moment. I also love that he swings with the scabbard on for a few strikes and then unsheathes for the final hit in some combos.
F54EFB98085B9578D3FDD53C62E0110AFE6BE9D4

Shinken.jpg

Iaido(居合道 Iaidō or just Iai 居合?) is a modern Japanese martial art associated with the smooth, controlled movements of drawing the sword from its scabbard or saya, striking or cutting an opponent, removing blood from the blade, and then replacing the sword in the scabbard. While new students of iaido[1] may start learning with a wooden sword (bokken) depending on the teaching style of a particular instructor, many of those who study iaido use a blunt edged sword (iaitō). Few, more experienced, iaido practitioners use a sharp edged sword (shinken).

This is why the sword is designed the way it is, its combination of both styles of Iaido which how Vergil strikes his enemies in DmC. Also, explains why its slightly out of the scabbard the whole style is about sheathing and unsheathing the blade while in combat. He also uses the sword like a walking cane, so that also kinda fits with the whole aesthetic.

I knew about Laido because I'm interested in Japanese culture.And I knew Vergil was using this sword technique when I first saw him in DMC3.I thought it was pretty impressive.
But I still like the design of an original katana and the original Yamato,if someone likes it the way it is,it's because it's all a matter of preference.

Yeah, it seems like its more in line with the modern design of the blades used in the style now. The short and blunt design of the weapon also fits thematically with who Vergil is as a person. He's very direct in how he treats and talks to people. Everything thing is a means to an end to him.

Added some footage of Vergil unsheathing, he has 3 different variations of how he puts back his sword depending on the style or move finish with.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Laido is benefitted by more curvature and the gradual decrease in width of the blade, which is the total opposite in DmC vergil's sword. It is supposed to be a katana and there is no katana in the world that looks like that, vergil's sword is more like a slightly curved machette. All laido, kendo etc use katanas not machettes. The reason yamato looks like this is because either NT wanted to "reboot" the japanese culture as well and turn it more western or they had very little knowledge of japanese culture and weapons. Plus, being slightly out of scabbard is also technically wrong, because that part holds the blade in the scabbard, once that is out the blade is suppoesed to slip out of the scabbard, which it cleary does not in the video game. This all just lack of attention to detail

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Why is everyone saying "Laido". It's "Iaido" with an "I" not an "L".

Now, I just want to point out that I've been interested in Iaido for a long time now, and I can tell you that Vergil's katana in DmC wouldn't be a good sword to practice Iaido with. Just like what N Ridwanul said, the rainguard coming out of the scabbard would make it slip right out. unless of course the rainguard was thick enough to keep it in place, but then that would take too much effort to pull it out when doing Iaido which ask for a quick and clean cut. But this is a video game so Vergil can pull it off.

Also, looking at the video, I honestly believe that new Vergil's sword skills are a bit superior to old Vergil.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Why is everyone saying "Laido". It's "Iaido" with an "I" not an "L".

Now, I just want to point out that I've been interested in Iaido for a long time now, and I can tell you that Vergil's katana in DmC wouldn't be a good sword to practice Iaido with. Just like what N Ridwanul said, the rainguard coming out of the scabbard would make it slip right out. unless of course the rainguard was thick enough to keep it in place, but then that would take too much effort to pull it out when doing Iaido which ask for a quick and clean cut. But this is a video game so Vergil can pull it off.

Also, looking at the video, I honestly believe that new Vergil's sword skills are a bit superior to old Vergil.
Have you seen the width of yamato, it's impossible to use laido with that. I totally agree with you.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Yeah, but like I said, this is a video game. Logic isn't exactly a strong point.

Well, it's implicitly a magical weapon. Loose logic ignores puny human reality when there's something awesome to be done.

I actually misread this thread and thought for a moment it might be a discussion about why Yamato is mispronounced in DmC whenever it's spoken aloud.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Vergil's fighting style is based on the Laido (see below) fighting technique, and I think the blade looks awesome and there's a reason its slightly out of the scabbard, its because he's ready to strike at any moment. I also love that he swings with the scabbard on for a few strikes and then unsheathes for the final hit in some combos.
F54EFB98085B9578D3FDD53C62E0110AFE6BE9D4

Shinken.jpg

Laido(居合道 Iaidō or just Iai 居合?) is a modern Japanese martial art associated with the smooth, controlled movements of drawing the sword from its scabbard or saya, striking or cutting an opponent, removing blood from the blade, and then replacing te sword in the scabbard. While new students of iaido[1] may start learning with a wooden sword (bokken) depending on the teaching style of a particular instructor, many of those who study iaido use a blunt edged sword (iaitō). Few, more experienced, iaido practitioners use a sharp edged sword (shinken).

This is why the sword is designed the way it is, its combination of both styles of Laido which how Vergil strikes his enemies in DmC. Also, explains why its slightly out of the scabbard the whole style is about sheathing and unsheathing the blade while in combat. He also uses the sword like a walking cane, so that also kinda fits with the whole aesthetic.

Oh that first screenshot is art. I'm going to turn that into something.

EllDawn

I have to say that, after having some katanas that can't be pulled out of their sheaths whether new or old, Yamato being longer than the sheath tends to make some sense to me. It makes for a quicker draw. Depending on how the sword was made, it could still hold onto the sheath well enough to keep from losing it.

As for the blade looking like a machete, as someone had said, no it doesn't. My dad and one of my brothers has had several machetes and none of them looked like that in any way. I'd say it's closer to the style of a sabre.

Over all, I really don't care how Yamato looks. If you make it too flashy, you're no longer paying attention to the character and he's only represented by his sword which will disappoint everyone when he doesn't match the impression the sword gives. Making Yamato stand out less helps you see Vergil more. I've noticed this with the original series. It became more about seeing the next weapon rather than seeing what the characters were going to do next. So, I personally prefer what was done because it was less distracting. That is unless you had such high expectations that you kept thinking the weapon design should still stand out. Even with the new Rebellion, since it's not such a huge sword any more, it doesn't draw as much attention.

This is at least what I see when I look at the weapons in DmC. It's not so much about showing off, but the characters traveling through the story. I could say that's one reason why I like DmC more. Less distraction and more focus on things that, in the end, have some meaning.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
I have to say that, after having some katanas that can't be pulled out of their sheaths whether new or old, Yamato being longer than the sheath tends to make some sense to me. It makes for a quicker draw. Depending on how the sword was made, it could still hold onto the sheath well enough to keep from losing it.

As for the blade looking like a machete, as someone had said, no it doesn't. My dad and one of my brothers has had several machetes and none of them looked like that in any way. I'd say it's closer to the style of a sabre.

Over all, I really don't care how Yamato looks. If you make it too flashy, you're no longer paying attention to the character and he's only represented by his sword which will disappoint everyone when he doesn't match the impression the sword gives. Making Yamato stand out less helps you see Vergil more. I've noticed this with the original series. It became more about seeing the next weapon rather than seeing what the characters were going to do next. So, I personally prefer what was done because it was less distracting. That is unless you had such high expectations that you kept thinking the weapon design should still stand out. Even with the new Rebellion, since it's not such a huge sword any more, it doesn't draw as much attention.

This is at least what I see when I look at the weapons in DmC. It's not so much about showing off, but the characters traveling through the story. I could say that's one reason why I like DmC more. Less distraction and more focus on things that, in the end, have some meaning.

I like what you say, couldn't agree more.

What I like in DmC is that everything you do has a meaning from beginning to end.Even if the end is kinda weak (VD excluded)

And no, dont BS me on how amazing Dante's motivations were in DMC3, he was basically going to a party until Lady made him (For some weird reason since they had absolutely no real contact or communication) change his mind and protect the human world from Vergil

Now that we are talking about Vergil, I still cannot understand how fans claim New Vergil sucks because he "Has no honor" claiming old Vergil was evertyhing about honor...really? He stabbed an ally in the back, toyed with corpse of an enemy, tried to kill a woman just because she was in the way...I could go on.

Nelo Angelo WAS honorable though, but I consider those 2 completely different characters...like Jean Grey and Phoenix =P

On Topic: Classic Yamato is best Yamato, Reboot Rebellion is Best Rebellion. Alastor is best sword. PERIOD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Now that we are talking about Vergil, I still cannot understand how fans claim New Vergil sucks because he "Has no honor" claiming old Vergil was evertyhing about honor...really? He stabbed an ally in the back, toyed with corpse of an enemy, tried to kill a woman just because she was in the way...I could go on.

On Topic: Classic Yamato is best Yamato, Reboot Rebellion is Best Rebellion. Alastor is best sword. PERIOD

I never really saw Vergil as all that honorable, just a man of extremely strong convictions. The only time "honor" was ever closely hinted at was just his distaste for guns, and that was mostly because guns were "the easy way out" in a fight.

And I actually still like the DMC4 Rebellion more, but that might just be because I really love skull motifs :x

EllDawn

Nelo Angelo WAS honorable though, but I consider those 2 completely different characters...like Jean Grey and Phoenix =P

I never did understand why everyone said the original Vergil was honorable. Determined, yes. And he was willing to do whatever it took to complete his goals. But that doesn't equate to honor.

I agree with you that Nelo Angelo and Vergil are basically two different characters. It looks like he gained more honor through being controlled by Mundus than being on his own.

I love Alastor. Probably the best sword in all of DMC. I wouldn't mind seeing what it could be in the reboot, if they ever get the chance.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"

Did New Vergil ever cut a hell vanguard or at least just a demon in many pieces without the demon even noticing?
Did New Vergil ever speed blitz an enemy he encountered in DmC? Ala beowulf slaughter?
Did New Vergil can even do what DMC 3 Vergil did in the Vergil campaign opening? Those are real swordsmanship feats by DMC 3 Vergil.

The answer to all is no. Saying that New Vergil is a bit superior to DMC 3 Vergil is a bit too early.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Soooooo.....DmC's Yamato sheath doesn't cover all of the blade because it would be easier to draw and put back in.

DmC Rebellion isn't as big as the old Rebellion so its easier to use.

So what your saying is DmC Dante isn't as physically strong as classic Dante and DmC Vergil isn't as skilled (in Iaido) as classic Vergil?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Soooooo.....DmC's Yamato sheath doesn't cover all of the blade because it would be easier to draw and put back in.

DmC Rebellion isn't as big as the old Rebellion so its easier to use.

So what your saying is DmC Dante isn't as physically strong as classic Dante and DmC Vergil isn't as skilled (in Iaido) as classic Vergil?
Nice attempt at a Pathetic loophole to satisfy yourself.

It's called a design choice, nothing more and nothing less. Just because the art style is different, doesn't change the overal mythos of the game.

I'm getting tempted to just abandon this forum and head over to the NT DmC forum, where idiocy doesn't run free.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Nice attempt at a Pathetic loophole to satisfy yourself.

It's called a design choice, nothing more and nothing less. Just because the art style is different, doesn't change the overal mythos of the game.

I'm getting tempted to just abandon this forum and head over to the NT DmC forum, where idiocy doesn't run free.

A simple design change/choice can mean a lot. Making a weapon lighter makes it easier to use or making a weapon easier to draw makes it easier to use or pull of quick draws in perfect succession.

Its practically putting on training wheels.

Ahhh...yes the NT DmC forums, practically the last safe haven for DmC fans (maybe this one too).

Idiocy comes in all shapes and forms my friend.

Top Bottom