• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante got cheated

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Well, didn't Dante and Vergil fight when they were children?
I certainly hope that there's canon evidence that they did. At least THEN we'd get something to explain the baseless tension between them throughout DMC3, and something to warrant every uber-dramatic confrontation in the rain outside of: "they DRESS differently."

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I certainly hope that there's canon evidence that they did. At least THEN we'd get something to explain the baseless tension between them throughout DMC3, and something to warrant every uber-dramatic confrontation in the rain outside of: "they DRESS differently."

It would certainly expand on it, but it's actually not strictly necessary within DMC3's own plot. Vergil challenged Dante through Arkham, so he picked up the gauntlet to show him who's boss (things didn't go as he had hoped, but that's another story).

Even though... I dunno about it. If children fighting was a justification for holding a deadly grudge for so long, me and my brother would be each other's number one enemy. Cause God knows how much we used to fight each other as kids.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
It depends:
  • DMC1 booklet says Sparda sired his sons and soon, after that, he died
  • DMC1 novel seems to hint Dante never knew his father personally. What he knew was what his mother told him.
  • DMC1 has something similar: Dante goes on how his mother told him about his dad being a good person and all.
  • DMC3 files gives Sparda not as dead, but only as disappeared.
  • Anime hints Dante may have known his father in person and lived with him for unknown time.
So, this is a" Your Mile may Vary". Canon is not consistent in this either.

these whole story telling outside of the main source --game-- no matter how convoluted it was is actually good for the business, but that didn't seem to help capcom financially..

anyway on topic, i wish they dig more on rebellion and yamato especially rebellion in this case and maybe go flashbacks why daddy gave what to who.. them swords is as famous as the game itself, so it's a go i think..

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
It would certainly expand on it, but it's actually not strictly necessary within DMC3's own plot. Vergil challenged Dante through Arkham, so he picked up the gauntlet to show him who's boss (things didn't go as he had hoped, but that's another story).
Yeah, but there isn't a clear explanation as to why he's challenging him as a whole---outside of the whole world domination scheme involving Dante owning the other amulet---to explain their "sibling rivalry."

Lady mentions something about their constant fighting over the years having something to do with "twisted pleasure", but that hardly explains the amount of drama or tension the story tries to pent up with each confrontation they have.

I think a better way to establish their relationship would've been to depict their relationship children---maybe highlight the different choices they ended up making, and the different paths they chose after Eva's death. What drove them apart? What caused them to loathe each other like this? Did they have a brotherly bond before all of this? If so, what was the nature of it, besides the Jackpot joke referenced in the final confrontation with Arkham?

Anything's better than leaving it up to shonen logic of aesthetic differences, and riding on the paper-thin plot from there.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, but there isn't a clear explanation as to why he's challenging him as a whole---outside of the whole world domination scheme involving Dante owning the other amulet---to explain their "sibling rivalry."

You answered yourself.

On the rest, I partly agree, I got stuff to say about it, especially the last line, but I'll leave it at that since it's off-topic.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Um, guys. I like a nice civil discussion as much as the next person, but none of this is to do with the point of this thread.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I know I know, sorry.

Nothing to apologise for. It's not a problem when you guys go off-topic whilst remaining civil to one another, so much as it is the fact that the main point of discussion becomes so strayed from that it no longer becomes relevant.

Gray Knight

Dude I think he was taling about sparring as a kid? Like you know play fighting? Kind of like how DmC Dante and Vergil I think were shown to do in that flashback? I figure being the son of a demon god and witch makes you childhood spars a little more hardcore.
Now in regards to the topics at hand.
Look at the Force Edge without being unsealed it's basically functionally identical to Rebellion. May he gave them those swords as both crutches for their powers when they were young and possible in the future as seals for their power. Seeing as they seem to be deeply connected to their powers.
That and keeping with Rebellions functional identicallness to Force Edge, why would Vergil want Rebellion when he could just pop out a summoned sword and wield it like that.
That just brings up the question how did Vergil figure out what Force Edge looked like when Sparda sealed it away a while ago with Lady's Ancestor? Why did he make his summoned swords based of of it?
Also why did they both have a fragment of the perfect amulet which would unlock the power of a sword that was sealed away in Temen ni gru?
The power of retcons may answer this but still makes you wonder.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I just thought it was both lazy and clever that they just reused the model for Alastor's hilt for Ifrit :p

Speaking of Ifrit, it's in RE4 as a fire spitting statue.

tumblr_npdeqiC0S61r7xaiso1_1280.jpg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I feel like I should say that the animosity between Dante and Vergil was explained in the DMC3 manga, which I'm pretty sure is canon.

Here's an excerpt from the DMC wiki summary:
"Vergil reveals his plan of raising the Temen-ni-gru, thus opening the gate of the demon world. When Dante declares his intent on stopping Vergil, Vergil then proceeds to taunt Dante by showing him the half of the amulet that Alice stole earlier, prompting him to attack. However, after a quick battle, in which Vergil trounces Dante, Vergil throws his brother’s half back to him; Vergil then taunts Dante again, stating that he could retrieve the amulet from him whenever he wanted."

A year later the events of the DMC3 video game happen.

You can read the manga yourself on mangareader.net.

Um, guys. I like a nice civil discussion as much as the next person, but none of this is to do with the point of this thread.

Let's not derail pls.

Morrigan_Sparda

Queen of Darkness
My opinion is that Dante is physically stronger than Vergil, hence Rebellion is heaviest and bigger than Yamato. I think it Yamato has more power based on magic, hence it is used as a seal, whatever...
In DMC 3 Rebelion "wakes up" when Dante frees your power (you can see how open your eyes and mouth)
If you look the names of both blades fit with their owners;
Dante is revelde, foolhardy, fight like a barbarian warrior.
Vergil instead is more cold and calculating, his fight is samurai style.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
in DMC it's apparently Vergil, but in DmC it's definitely Dante.
What bull***t you spoutin? Dante was the one that Sparda let out as a secret, and then he got ****ed over when Sparda decided that while Dante got a filthy flipping Lamia who isn't even Miia for a caretaker in a ****ty demon orphanage. (As confirmed via Bob Barbas's dialogue) that beat the snot out of his emaciated ass.

Vergil got to grow up in a nice mansion where he probably got his own super duper hot slime girl who loved him and helped around the house

I think it's safe to say Vergil was the favorite in both canons

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
What bullshit you spoutin? Dante was the one that Sparda let out as a secret, and then he got ****ed over when Sparda decided that while Dante got a filthy flipping Lamia who isn't even Miia for a caretaker in a ****ty demon orphanage. (As confirmed via Bob Barbas's dialogue) that beat the snot out of his emaciated ass.

Vergil got to grow up in a nice mansion where he probably got his own super duper hot slime girl who loved him and helped around the house

I think it's safe to say Vergil was the favorite in both canons

But Dante got more weapons, and seemed to have been the one the parents put their faith in the most. We don't really know if they tried to talk to Vergil like they did Dante

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Can we please honestly stick to the topic?

We're not here to discuss "Who was the favourite sibling?", or "What were Vergil's intentions?". The thread is about Dante having Rebellion, and Vergil having Yamato (apparently the 'better' sword of the two). So could we please try to keep it to that, since the last page has been anything but that.

Thanks guys!

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
basically dante got cheated by the writer.. if i were the writer and i come up with those features yamato have, i would certainly ask myselff, "wait, but what will i do with rebellion?"

and i have questions,

1. when did yamato first appear?
2. when did yamato's exclusive features first told?
3. the exact solid canon about when the swords was given to the sons of sparda

Top Bottom