• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Some food for thought...

Meg

Have you ever stopped and thought about what it would be like to see yourself from the eyes of another person? Not even like a particular person, just someone that's not you. I sometimes do. I find it interesting and often wonder how other people see me. If only because I get so confused when people say nice things about me. I never know what I did to deserve it.

Its curious though. People seem to think of me as a nice helpful person, but forget about all the times I've been a complete asshat. I get the sense people see me as a certain way and expect me to always act like that, so when I act like an asshole people view it as to OOC. Its like people want consistency and the image of me is to concrete and resists change, so they just block it out or something.

I guess because this is a forum, so we don't really know who everyone is its easier to create a type of persona for everyone. As if we want people to be a certain way, so we kind of create an identity for them, like how a writer creates a character. I've been here for over a year now and I feel as if I've ascended to a VIP almost goddess like status and it bugs the ever living crap out of me. I didn't ask for anyone to think highly of me and I'd rather no one did. I'm not some immortal giant that can do no wrong. I've done some really stupid things here and just because I've never gotten in trouble for it doesn't mean it isn't bad. Here's all the stuff that springs to mind. Let the humbling begin.

1. I've made a 9 year old cry.
2. I was a part of a flame war.
3. I trolled and flame baited and then acted innocent when I was caught.
4. I offended several people many times.
5. I got in people's faces over their mistakes.

And I'm sure there is more. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want anyone thinking of me as some super important member. I'm not some glue that keeps the forums together. This place had been around for years before I even joined and it will continue to exist and be a fun place to post once I leave. (Whenever that may be) We are all equally important here.

Oh my, I do believe the purpose of this thread has completely changed. I better change the title. *changes* I guess it shouldn't come as very surprising an innocent thread turned into me rambling about all this since I was listening to this while writing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6sk...eature=related
It makes everything a million times more epic. I decided its gonna be Lightning's theme. XD

aka958

Don't trust people
Well... honestly, I'm not looking at you with a smile on my face. I look at people without any expression, and let their decisions make their character. One's personality changes depending on the circumstance, to always look at one person as if they had only one way of acting is wrong in my opinion.

I wonder how others look at me, because I'm pessimistic enough to think that everyone else thinks down on me. Of course, that's how I find several of my own flaws.

Everyone always changes, no one is a saint, no one is a devil. People who look up onto someone only seeing good all the time and see the person as somewhat like an angel do not fully know that person.

Meg

aka958;298703 said:
Well... honestly, I'm not looking at you with a smile on my face. I look at people without any expression, and let their decisions make their character. One's personality changes depending on the circumstance, to always look at one person as if they had only one way of acting is wrong in my opinion.

See that's what I like about you Aka. ^_^ I respect that kind of thinking.

The thing that bugs me is that I have been called things like VIP and "the glue that hold this place together" multiple times. I wasn't just making that up.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Bad things I've done... Where do I begin?

1. Neglecting my family in favor of this place and video games.
2. Barely talking to my friends, and hurting them quite badly sometimes.
3. Barely acknowledging my brother at all...

The list goes on.

Meg

Storm Silves;298706 said:
Bad things I've done... Where do I begin?

1. Neglecting my family in favor of this place and video games.
2. Barely talking to my friends, and hurting them quite badly sometimes.
3. Barely acknowledging my brother at all...

The list goes on.

Ironically, the point of this thread wasn't to post all the bad things you've done. It was to bring me down a few notches. But if you want to make it about you that's fine. :p Ok, I'm just being a cynical pain in the neck. Ignore me. :lol:

aka958

Don't trust people
You're all wicked and evil guys and girls!

If you excuse me, I'll just go blow up some stuff.
*whistles Clock Town theme*

Hehehe... Thanks Meg. ^_^

I've done some nasty stuff, really nasty, so nasty that the word nasty spammed in one sentence won't make up for it. Like stealing the last cookie in the jar. <.<

Since DT made a nice list I've decided to make one myself:

Bad list.
1. Retaliating
2. Threaten
3. Manipulating people
4. Controlling people like puppets (kind of 3 but it needs to be said again)

Aka958, master puppeteer. :cool:

Well... Meg... I ...I ...Befor.... I mean..... I kinda didnt LIKE you before and to be honest I dont know about now, I mean I never judge anyone by how they might be kind atthe moment, I hate when s/he is badandI like when S/he is good.. but well you can dont help ppl anymore, when someone says I need help, you can say thats none of my concern
onion_msn_smileys-24.gif

Edit:
1. Always being a real mean to my friends and realtives.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Personally I was raised by my parents to respect ppl. And Meg, you are someone i respect. Its only asshats and idiots that don't deserve it.

I've done some pretty bad things, but i don't wanna list them because some are quite bad (and i'm not talking about using a whip on Vergil).

aka958

Don't trust people
Vergil'sBitch;298714 said:
Personally I was raised by my parents to respect ppl. And Meg, you are someone i respect. Its only asshats and idiots that don't deserve it.

I've done some pretty bad things, but i don't wanna list them because some are quite bad (and i'm not talking about using a whip on Vergil).

That's the thing. Asshats and idiots are not always asshats and idiots at all times. Maybe that's how you've seen them or maybe that's how they've acted towards you at the start. I see lots of people like jerks, idiots, ignorant f*cking sh*theads... but I know that there is good in those people, that they only acted like that for the moment. Maybe they got something against my personality, thus I would respond in hostility.

One person could have several reasons for annoying someone else, or being a total asshat. It's just that sometimes that reason is hard to understand for others because they don't know the position he/she might be in at that particular moment.

Respect, is fleeting. I've had respect for others, but when I see how some talk about other things to their dislike/like that changes. One person might be a person that you have a great deal of respect to, but that could change in a single swipe of that persons other sides. It's hard to like all sides of one person.

Like me, always clinging to the truth. Now, that doesn't sound bad, right? What's wrong with clinging to the truth? But, that means that I'll destroy anyone's hope or dreams by reminding them of the truth, that their hope's and dreams are unattainable and say that they should focus on what actually can do. Of course, I think "childish dreams, get real dammit" but that's not how others think. When I show that side of me, many instantly lose respect towards me.

Yes, I'm also like that. I also have things I like and hold precious. When someone talks ill about what I hold precious, it's obvious that I lose respect to that person and retaliate.

It's hard, just accepting a person for everything he/she is is almost impossible. Thus, I hide parts of my personality when talking to some who dislike that part of personality. Parts of my personality might be forced to come up if someone would trigger them. So to dance, you need a partner willing to avoid the dancing steps not to your liking for you to avoid his/hers.

Edit: What I'm saying is, in a relation with a person (not love relation, any relation) you don't act fully like yourself. If you know that the person dislikes someone talking ill about a certain subject, you obviously steer away from it. The same goes for the other person.

If you can't accept parts of a persons personality even though that person avoids that personality when he/she is with you then you clearly are the one at fault and not that person.

I hate the thought of an existence of god. I don't like religion, but still, I'm a friend with several religious people. One of them, knows I'm not too fond of religion and thus steers away from that subject. That's his part, maybe I know that he isn't too fond of videogames (example, he is still very fond of videogames) I would avoid talking about videogames with him. That way, we both can interact on what we both like and set aside our other personalities when with others.

Yes, yes a thousand times over. I know it's alot more complex than this. I could publish a book about the subject if I would continue write and explain everything I think about this.

Meg

Well seeings how all this thread has managed to do is make me seem like an egotistical asshole I'm going to apologize and try to explain what I meant.

I don't hate anyone. I don't scoff at any complements I receive. I am grateful for the complements and the appreciation people have for me. What I was trying to get across is that I feel as if people think of me as a super important member when in fact we all are. I don't want anyone to think I'm this cool flawless member than can do no wrong 'cause as I've shown in my first post I can and have done wrong. This thread was meant to show that we're all important members deserving of respect and that I, nor anyone else, deserves to be put on a pedestal. (Except the staff, they're cool :lol:)

To anyone whose feelings were hurt by this I apologize. :(

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
it's the same reason an artist never knows how his work will be recieved. from the first person, anything can be regarded as a mistake, everything that went wrong is how it's judged.

when someone else looks at it, a mistake could be looked at as "art", some things may not be as obvious, etc. watch robert rodriguez' film "el mariachi" which he made on a budget of nothing.
the reason it got so much attention and stands out from any other film with no money behind it is he knows how to make his mistakes blend in and be well recieved.

apply that analogy to what this thread's about and you may walk away with something valuable.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Meg;298791 said:
Well seeings how all this thread has managed to do is make me seem like an egotistical asshole I'm going to apologize and try to explain what I meant.

I don't hate anyone. I don't scoff at any complements I receive. I am grateful for the complements and the appreciation people have for me. What I was trying to get across is that I feel as if people think of me as a super important member when in fact we all are. I don't want anyone to think I'm this cool flawless member than can do no wrong 'cause as I've shown in my first post I can and have done wrong. This thread was meant to show that we're all important members deserving of respect and that I, nor anyone else, deserves to be put on a pedestal. (Except the staff, they're cool :lol:)

To anyone whose feelings were hurt by this I apologize. :(
1. only a nice person would tell people she is not as nice as everyone says she is
2. if someone thinks you are important you are ( that's the real definition of an important person)

* puts Meg on a pedestal and ties her to it*

you are now officially a nice, helpful person the forum can't do without deal with it:)

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
The main reason I like you as a member Meg is not because I think your a goddess who can do no wrong. It was your deep, fascinating, thought-provoking threads that caught my attention. Forum general discussion sections were made for people who think like you, I don't doubt for a second you have the potential to be a total b*tch like anybody else but even this "how do you think other people view you as a person"? Thats an AMAZING idea for a forum thread which most people would have probably wanted to write an essay about if the subject didn't change half way through. (well I know I am once I get a bit more time to play with)

I like the threads you make not because you made them but because of the things you put in them. Give yourself credit for that at least.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Meg;298702 said:
1. I've made a 9 year old cry.
2. I was a part of a flame war.
3. I trolled and flame baited and then acted innocent when I was caught.
4. I offended several people many times.
5. I got in people's faces over their mistakes.

Wow well now aren't you a horrible person! Meg, I am SHOCKED! :lol:

On a serious note, everyone has done something here that can be termed inappropriate/wrong/WTF were you thinking? type of thing. No one is perfect and no one should expect anyone else to be perfect either.

As I always tell my friends, never take to heart anything that is said or done in the heat of the moment. People lose their heads when they're confronted or flamed or anything that opposes and upsets them. They say stupid things they later regret. A forum is no better than real life, because often people will spend a long time typing out a rant or a nasty PM to someone else (with awful spelling I might add, just to emphasise how mad they were when typing it all out) but they don't stop and THINK, hey, this isn't worth my time. They don't consider taking a break from the forum to chill out and come back to the situation with a level head. It all has to get out, right then and there, without thought or consideration.

I've worried about how people view me on the forum. I thought I was a humorous contributing member who tried to lend a hand where she could. Instead I got slammed for prancing around like some arrogant know-it-all who should be shot dead on sight, which left me feeling thoroughly WTF? So, people don't view me as I am, everyone has their own perspectives on life and on people and on business and that will inevitably influence how they receive another person's opinion.

Anyway, look at the end of the day, Meg, you've been a friend to a lot of members here. You're valued in your friendship, and in your contributions to the forum. I know we've had our ups and downs in the past, but you're only human and so am I. Life and friendships and relationships and PEOPLE are never all moonshine and roses. It's a fact of life. Maybe because some people don't consider a forum as 'real life', they form these silly expectations of members who they believe are good. And who are we to tell them otherwise, really? If they want to treat you like a goddess, let them - I mean how often do people view you as a goddess? If you upset them and they rant at you for not being perfect, conjure a virtual bouquet of flowers with a fake 'I'm sorry @.@' note and send it to them. I bet you they'll feel tons better that you're perfect after all ;)

Meg

darkslayer13;298817 said:
1. only a nice person would tell people she is not as nice as everyone says she is
2. if someone thinks you are important you are ( that's the real definition of an important person)

* puts Meg on a pedestal and ties her to it*

you are now officially a nice, helpful person the forum can't do without deal with it:)

If you say so. :3

@Darth Angelo- Oh feel free to answer the original question. This thread kinda has two topics and people are welcome to share their thoughts on either or both.

@MV- You'd be surprised the number of times I've been called things like that. I think I might have to use my awesome goddess powers to smite-
I mean hug all those people. ;)

Well sorry for the drama fest everyone. I'm in a rather jolly mood for no reason right now, sooooo ^_^.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
People elsewhere think I am unapproachable, strange, mature, serious, aloof, arrogant, agressive, and insufferable among other things - I know because they've either told me so, or I've heard it through my spies, lol. I think "you're so different" is the greatest compliment my own mother has ever given me, but coming from her I know that's meant to be a good thing.

I don't believe I am any of those things (except aloof and aggressive if pushed beyond my limit), but people do seem to shrink away from powerful personalities or presences, so if I want to blend in I keep a low profile. Kind of like I do here I guess. In other places online where I've been for longer, I know there seems to be some kind of scary mythos associated with me and I've no idea why. (I'm the nicest mod, surely! XD) Well, all right, I do - it's because I'm apparently good at annihilating people in a debate when I have the energy and motivation to.

I don't know about my positive qualities as others see them, I'm not used to hearing naked compliments - they don't come out of people much when it comes to me. If I were to judge myself... yeah, I'm sometimes aloof, and I seem angry sometimes, but usually more cynical than anything else. Would I wanna hang out with me? Probably not. I'm fairly sure I'm not an important member of this community and actually that's quite nice - I have no responsibility here. Elsewhere.... I am chained down with it, IRL as well. It's nice to come somewhere and just be this random person.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I've just had a mini breakdown after years of pretending everything is ok and doing all I can to make sure others around me are alright - and not thinking of me - I've moved into 2 houses that I didn't want to, but it was convienient for everyone else, so i just stayed quiet and got on with it.

I'm quiet and I always put others before me.......NOT ANYMORE! lol! I've realised that the way I was was slowly pushing me deeper and deeper into depression, so from now on I'm gonna be bitch Ebony, who speaks her mind and makes sure I'm ok first! Woo! Dunno if that makes sense, but it was nice to type it out!

Evil Eb! o_O

Osaka

trollololol
Ebony;298986 said:
I've just had a mini breakdown after years of pretending everything is ok and doing all I can to make sure others around me are alright - and not thinking of me - I've moved into 2 houses that I didn't want to, but it was convienient for everyone else, so i just stayed quiet and got on with it.

I'm quiet and I always put others before me.......NOT ANYMORE! lol! I've realised that the way I was was slowly pushing me deeper and deeper into depression, so from now on I'm gonna be bitch Ebony, who speaks her mind and makes sure I'm ok first! Woo! Dunno if that makes sense, but it was nice to type it out!

Evil Eb! o_O

I've had something simular to this. I'm also trying to put myself first nowadays as in the past I've been a bit of a push over or been a bit naive or just been too quiet and I try and live by the example of 'what doesn't kill me makes me stronger' and stuff along those lines. I have realized that I can't continue like that but old habits die hard, as they say. I just really need to build confidence and take more risks I guess.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I was the same until 6 years ago. I finally realised I'd had enough of not being brave enough to take chances for what I wanted, while at the same time I was doing things to please everyone else and getting little to no thanks for it. I was just part of the furniture for them. Nobody would go out of their way for me, even just to listen for five minutes when I was feeling low... yet I found myself doing it a lot to accommodate other people. I guess the realisation finally dawned that you just need to be selfish or other people will take and take from you, without even realising they are, and they'll come to expect you to please them but not the other way around unless you demand it. Or that, if you want something badly enough you can have it if you just stand up and take it. It'll come for you guys too.

aka958

Don't trust people
Lexy;299039 said:
I was the same until 6 years ago. I finally realised I'd had enough of not being brave enough to take chances for what I wanted, while at the same time I was doing things to please everyone else and getting little to no thanks for it. I was just part of the furniture for them. Nobody would go out of their way for me, even just to listen for five minutes when I was feeling low... yet I found myself doing it a lot to accommodate other people. I guess the realisation finally dawned that you just need to be selfish or other people will take and take from you, without even realising they are, and they'll come to expect you to please them but not the other way around unless you demand it. Or that, if you want something badly enough you can have it if you just stand up and take it. It'll come for you guys too.

Already happened to me.

Although I kind of continue being nice sometimes, I want to stop it but it's starting to become a reflex. ;_;
The people doesn't even deserve it but still I continue!

Top Bottom