• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What should/shouldn't rub off from DmC into DMC5?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Nothing from DmC should be incorporated into DMC 5...game failed for a reason

Here we go... :ermm:

Do:
  • lower barrier of entry. In traditional DMC games, if you weren't already a pro, the game was boring and your combat looked like ****
  • limbo is awesome, love the art style and some of the surreal environments
Kam, I know that you think that there's room for ideas from both games, so why don't you take this guy to school?

I haven't seen such baiting since two threads back.

Edit: Oh wait, never mind. Here's some more baiting.
No offense but...
Too late. Almost everything you say regarding this game is offensive.
If you don't want a challenge, then don't play the game. That simple.
If you don't like DmC, you don't have to come to a pro-DmC subforum. That simple. :|

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
I gave DmC a 7/10, here's why:

DmC did have a ton of flaws, but almost all of them stem from being a poor interpretation of devil may cry, and not from being a bad game in its own right. If you boil all the complaints down to their core issues, it's really just two things that put most traditional fans off of this game. First, it showed disrespect and lack of understanding for the source material (plot and story, tameem's interpretation of classic DMC incorporated words like "essence of cool" and not "CUHRAYZEE PARTAY TIME") and second, it wasn't nearly as challenging as previous iterations.

I know I get carried away sometimes and talk about DMC3 and 4 like they were these perfect holy grails of gaming, but to be completely honest, they had a ton of flaws. Story and mechanics, those games needed help. In classic DMC, most story and character developments would be completely unknown to players unless they stopped to read the player's manual, go online and find all the easter eggs, or comb through the in game encyclopedia, and who the **** has time for that? Dante's very best character traits were never shown off in game, only hinted at.

DmC on the other hand did an amazing job of telling a story, having the player visit important locations, witnessing and experiencing things happening in the past, even using limbo's surreal nature to communicate character and development. The polarization here is that people who took the time to uncover the story in classic DMC games felt the story in DmC was very weak and linear compared to the one they had discovered in previous games, while the players who hadn't devoted enormous amounts of time to sleuthing out plot points (i.e. the other 80% of players) were unaware that previous games even had a story, let alone a better story.

Next is the combat and difficulty. To reiterate a point, if you weren't a high level pro in DMC 3 and 4, your combat was going to look like ****. You could clear the basic difficulties spamming rebellion combo A for every encounter. It would work, but it would look repetitive and stupid. The skill ceiling in those games was astronomical, effective play requiring constant micromanaging of skills, weapons, and stances. Did you know the average truestyle finalist switches their style on average of 3 times per second? That's just the style, they're switching around their guns and weapons even faster! What kind of human being has time to learn this stuff?? But if you put a lot of work into learning the mechanics, you could start to pull off insane **** like this
the problem was, with such an unforgivably boring lower end experience, newer players almost never feel motivated to actually go for learning to do this even if they are aware that such a higher tier of play exists (and most of the time, they are not)

DmC's combat problem sits on the opposite end of the scale. Things are streamlined, redundancies removed, actions are slowed down and moves are visually distinct so even people who don't play the game can tell one move from another, and have time to soak in how awesome it all looked. The difference between an aquilla scooping enemies up and an arbiter flattening them all is night and day (whereas in the video I linked, most people who've never tried to play that way just see a red dude rolling on his side in midair for 3 minutes and then the boss dies). Higher level play is starting to emerge from this new system, and people are making truly creative combo videos, however their combat is all working under the limitations imposed on them by this new two stance soft-lock system. To make matters worse, free form experimentation is often discouraged, with enemies that can only be defeated in one stance, or bosses that have a clearly laid out step-by-step method to beating them that you must follow (and I'm really not a fan of injecting between 5 and 12 short cutscenes in the middle of a boss fight. Not okay)

I've rambled on for quite a bit at this point, so I'm just going to wrap it up.
TL;DR
classic DMC story and characters, using DmC's storytelling methods
bring back manual lock on, soft-lock is terrible
DmC style weapons and combat, along with DmC visual effects during combat, but restore lock on, direction inputs and styles
DmC bosses are visually impressive as ****, but feel more like platforming games than bosses. Keep the visual spectacle, trim the cutscenes, make them bosses again.
(and get rid of color coded red and blue enemies)

Kam

A fair score and an excellent review. I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Way to take these people to school, Kam. :cool:
anytime! and as always, I'm open to any discussion if you feel I missed anything or interpreted anything wrong. I used to just flat out hate DmC, most of what I just said is the result of talking about it and having my mind changed.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I have a lot of things to talk about, but not about DmC, and they're actually pretty boring. I'll save it for another thread. Later.

Sunaka Marién

An truely amazing post, Kam! Even I could understand what you were talking about, haha :p
But would you mind elaborating on what you meant by 'things being streamlined and redundancies removed' in DmC? I don't really understand it :< I'm sorry (;_; )
And, just out of curiosity, what do you think was disrespectful about DmC's story to the originals?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
The only thing that should rub off into a possible DMC5 from DmC is

1.Character development - felt NT did a great job and fleshing out the relationship between Dante and Vergil in this one, would have been great to get that kind of character development in a new DMC5 entry.

Kam

An truely amazing post, Kam! Even I could understand what you were talking about, haha :p
But would you mind elaborating on what you meant by 'things being streamlined and redundancies removed' in DmC? I don't really understand it :< I'm sorry (;_; )
And, just out of curiosity, what do you think was disrespectful about DmC's story to the originals?
no problem! This could be quite lengthy though, so buckle up.

In classic DMC games (we'll use 4 as the example), you might perform moves like aerial rave by switching to swordmaster and then pressing the style button, or counter an attack by switching to royalguard and pressing forward+style at the correct moment. When you get right down to it, there really wasn't a good reason why dante needed aerial rave to be a swordmaster exclusive, or rainstorm to be a gunslinger exclusive; it was that way because that's how it was in the past, and people were used to it. In DmC a lot of these abilities are available to you (though heavily nerfed ;_; ) without the need to switch to a different style, Dante can aerial rave and do fireworks and rainstorm without needing to switch to a different style.

Redundancies were moves that had either very obscure or limited purposes, moves like like backslide (back + style in gunslinger with the shotgun, most people don't even know that move exists because it's so useless) or nero's dropkick, or having multiple attacks that accomplish very similar roles (DMC3 had a lot of those). Removing the redundancies was both a good and a bad thing, because on the one hand it trimmed a lot of bloat, but on the other, lots of people loved finding ways to incorporate those obscure or useless moves in meaningful ways into combo videos. Make a DMC4 combo video and finish a lengthy combo with a dropkick or kill an enemy by throwing lucifer's rose at him, it's satisfying as hell

As far as not respecting the story material... goddamn, there's really a lot here, so I'll just go over my two biggest nitpicks, one for dante, and one for vergil. In the classic DMC games, dante's defining character trait (even more than his cheeseball attitude) is his humanity, and how he views being human. The classic DMC universe if full of humans ready to trade away their humanity for demonic power, and demons trying to become even more powerful. But dante is unique in that he embraces his humanity, believing it gives him strength. He treats other humans with respect (sometimes in a roundabout way, because he's dante) believing humans are inherently great, but a human that sells their soul for demonic power is treated no differently than a real demon.

Thanks to poor story telling, you wouldn't know this from playing the game unless you did serious digging, but here's a cutscene that does poorly hint at dante's views toward humanity.
(skip to 2:08)

By making dante half human and half demon, he's no longer a character that wrestles with a weakness and then overcomes through sheer faith in humanity; he's a super powerful hybrid that was destined to succeed thanks to the power of his genes, one with absolutely no ties to humanity. The respect for humanity is gone too; he'll just as soon punch out a human and write "**** YOU" on his body just because he works at a place owned by demons.

Next is vergil, or more specifically: vergil + guns.
You'll notice that dante uses guns a lot, which is an odd choice because he's got this crazy super powered demon sword strapped to his back at all times. If you follow the tony redgrave origin story (once again, I would have preferred if this were an in-game backstory, and not one you had to dig up) you'll learn that dante's guns were gifts from a human gunsmith that believed in dante's humanity at a time when he himself was conflicted about his heritage.

Then there's vergil, who refuses to even touch a gun. Why? Guns are human weapons, and vergil views his human side with nothing short of complete contempt. His human half is his weaker half, and using human guns would be a further sign of that weakness. Additionally, vergil is incredibly honor bound, so much so that even brainwashing didn't change his ways much.

In DMC1, most demons that you encounter will ambush you, trying to gain the upper hand with lowly tricks by trapping you in dangerous environments or attacking suddenly from behind. But vergil, even after being enslaved and brainwashed by mundus, reborn as nelo angelo with no memory of himself, refused to use any of these tricks. If you were going to fight, he would come straight out, face to face and challenge you, and then he'd give you time to prepare while he waited for you in an open area. He may have been a powerhungry murderer, but he was always straightforward about his intentions and willing to offer a fair fight.

Even arkham, a "lowly human" who stole sparda's sword, was deserving of a face to face challenge when vergil arrived on the scene. But DmC's version of vergil is willing to shoot a pregnant woman in the back with a long ranged rifle, after lying and promising she's about to go free, and he's not even nice enough to do it cleanly. He shoots out her baby, waiting just long to let it sink in that her baby is dead, and then shoots her in the head.

(skip to 2:40)
does that look straightforward or honorable? Even if it was necessary to kill a woman and her baby, was it necessary to do it in the cruelest way possible?

TL;DR
for the sake of being "cool badasses" the best parts of dante and vergil are taken away, and they're recast as uncaring, backstabbing assholes.

whew, that was a lot of text. Sorry if all of it was a rant, but yeah, I've really never cared for the new story and characters. Gameplay is fun and has loads of redeeming qualities, but I absolutely despise the new characters.

Sunaka Marién

Thanks for answering! I sure learned a lot of new things about gameplay today :3 From now on, I shall call you Kam-sensei :p
Personally, I prefer it not to have styles, it's just a lot easier to do stuff :blush:
I kinda feel like the moveset in DmC was just generally rather... limited :ermm: And I'm not even one that uses all the moves, so the I understand that the lack of redundancies is a problem.
As for the story, well I never enven thought about it like that! You are right, it really is pretty off if you think about it.
Gotta agree, Dante no longer being half human always bugged me, it just seems wrong. As for his attitude towards humanity, I think they were trying to show that he slowly developed his faith in them, but, well, NT really could have done a better job there. However, the guy he punched, might have not been human, or no longer human; we don't really know.
And Vergil... yeah, everything you said. I love your explaination of why he's honorable because of only attacking you face to face. I never heard that before, and sure didn't notice. I'll have to remember that!

IncarnatedDemon

Thanks for answering! I sure learned a lot of new things about gameplay today :3 From now on, I shall call you Kam-sensei :p
Personally, I prefer it not to have styles, it's just a lot easier to do stuff :blush:
I kinda feel like the moveset in DmC was just generally rather... limited :ermm: And I'm not even one that uses all the moves, so the I understand that the lack of redundancies is a problem.
As for the story, well I never enven thought about it like that! You are right, it really is pretty off if you think about it.
Gotta agree, Dante no longer being half human always bugged me, it just seems wrong. As for his attitude towards humanity, I think they were trying to show that he slowly developed his faith in them, but, well, NT really could have done a better job there. However, the guy he punched, might have not been human, or no longer human; we don't really know.
And Vergil... yeah, everything you said. I love your explaination of why he's honorable because of only attacking you face to face. I never heard that before, and sure didn't notice. I'll have to remember that!
The guy Dante punched was a human.

I´d go as far and say that every "human" that looked and acted like a human was a human.

But the "humans" who had blood coming out of their eyes and said "DAAAANTE!" was a human who had been corrupted and turned into a living camera slave. Malice said "WATCH HIM!" in club and so all the slaves watched Dante.

And then there is the real demons, Lilith, Mundus, Phineas and monster demons: stygian, the beasts etc.

SHORT: Dante punched a human.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Even arkham, a "lowly human" who stole sparda's sword, was deserving of a face to face challenge when vergil arrived on the scene. But DmC's version of vergil is willing to shoot a pregnant woman in the back with a long ranged rifle, after lying and promising she's about to go free, and he's not even nice enough to do it cleanly. He shoots out her baby, waiting just long to let it sink in that her baby is dead, and then shoots her in the head.
Vergil just stabs Arkham right through with no warning. Arkahm had taken Vergil as far as he wanted to go and had no use for him (as Vergil says.)
What sets Vergil off is that Arkham does not kill Lady. He thinks Arkham's a weakling for not being able to go through with the killing and blames that Arkham is still attached to his daughter.
So I'd get from that that Vergil wanted Arkham to cast away his humanity completely for demonic power, but Vergil becomes angry with him when he won't kill Lady, which made Vergil think he was not capable or worthy of joining him.

True that Vergil does want to fight Arkham in a different way later by teaming up with Dante, but what Vergil did previously was pretty low. Arkham had helped him, and then Vergil literally stabs him. Not that I'd blame Vergil. That Arkham was a creepy, demon worshiping sychophant.

As for DmC. I figured that Vergil shot at the baby first because that baby does have a habbit of ripping its way out of her body. If he'd shot Lilith first, that baby would still have been alive, got out of her and caused a lot of trouble for the exchange.
So it's kill the baby first to make sure it doesn't get out of her, then do a mercy killing on Lilith after he's made sure the baby is dead.

Also, as for letting it sink in that the baby is dead. She didn't care for it like a mother. It was more like 'oh crap, my plan to get Mundus to make me his queen has failed'.

Sunaka Marién

The guy Dante punched was a human.

I´d go as far and say that every "human" that looked and acted like a human was a human.

But the "humans" who had blood coming out of their eyes and said "DAAAANTE!" was a human who had been corrupted and turned into a living camera slave. Malice said "WATCH HIM!" in club and so all the slaves watched Dante.

And then there is the real demons, Lilith, Mundus, Phineas and monster demons: stygian, the beasts etc.

SHORT: Dante punched a human.
If Lilith and Munus can take a human form, it it's that far of a stretch to think that also other demons can do the same - so maybe he was just that, a demon in a human vessel.
And the 'eyes bleeding' stuff only happens when they pull Dante into Limbo. Their not always walking around with theri eyes looking like that. Why didn't the guy pull Dante into Limbo you might ask? There were people around who would have sure as hell noticed Dante suddenly disappearing (whereas the people inside the club wouldn't notice, since it was just to crowded). That would have been unnecessary attention.
All in all: We don't know for sure if he was just a regular human.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Vergil just stabs Arkham right through with no warning. Arkahm had taken Vergil as far as he wanted to go and had no use for him (as Vergil says.)
What sets Vergil off is that Arkham does not kill Lady. He thinks Arkham's a weakling for not being able to go through with the killing and blames that Arkham is still attached to his daughter.
So I'd get from that that Vergil wanted Arkham to cast away his humanity completely for demonic power, but Vergil becomes angry with him when he won't kill Lady, which made Vergil think he was not capable or worthy of joining him.

True that Vergil does want to fight Arkham in a different way later by teaming up with Dante, but what Vergil did previously was pretty low. Arkham had helped him, and then Vergil literally stabs him. Not that I'd blame Vergil. That Arkham was a creepy, demon worshiping sycophant.

Thank you! I always said that Vergil didn't act very honorable, even though people say he does.

I think they're mistaking "Pride" with "Honor"

IncarnatedDemon

If Lilith and Munus can take a human form, it it's that far of a stretch to think that also other demons can do the same - so maybe he was just that, a demon in a human vessel.
And the 'eyes bleeding' stuff only happens when they pull Dante into Limbo. Their not always walking around with theri eyes looking like that. Why didn't the guy pull Dante into Limbo you might ask? There were people around who would have sure as hell noticed Dante suddenly disappearing (whereas the people inside the club wouldn't notice, since it was just to crowded). That would have been unnecessary attention.
All in all: We don't know for sure if he was just a regular human.
You make valid point about Mundus and Lilith. But have in mind the bouncer was a "fodder" (weakling).
And if the demons (weaklings, stygians and others) could shapeshift like Lilith and Mundus

Then why did most demons in the end not shapeshift if they had that ability?

Sunaka Marién

You make valid point about Mundus and Lilith. But have in mind the bouncer was a "fodder" (weakling).
And if the demons (weaklings, stygians and others) could shapeshift like Lilith and Mundus

Then why did most humans in the end not shapeshift if they had that ability?
It's not shapeshifting, but 'planting' their soul into a human body. Not all of the demons have done that implanting and therefor cannot turn into humans just like that.
However, you are right that the bouncer was most likely just a weak demon (should he really be one), so it is less likely that he has a vessel, but there is the possibility that he has one because of his job.
What would be more likely though, would be that he's just a demon collaborator (the ones with the bleeding eyes), which are, like, some kinda 'corrupted' humans, if you can still call them humans, I believe. They never really speciefied how that collaborator thing works :ermm:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It's not shapeshifting, but 'planting' their soul into a human body. Not all of the demons have done that implanting and therefor cannot turn into humans just like that.
Pretty much that. Only reason Mundus lost was because his soul was stuck in Kyle Ryder's body after the hellgate got closed down.
And just look at Lilith. She's held together by corset strings at her back and head. Heck, her back is bleeding where the skin is ripped.>_< She's a demon walking around in a pelt of human skin all held together as a disguise.
If she was a shapeshifter, she wouldn't be bleeding and her face wouldn't need tightening when it falls off.
However, you are right that the bouncer was most likely just a weak demon (should he really be one), so it is less likely that he has a vessel, but there is the possibility that he has one because of his job.
What would be more likely though, would be that he's just a demon collaborator (the ones with the bleeding eyes), which are, like, some kinda 'corrupted' humans, if you can still call them humans, I believe. They never really speciefied how that collaborator thing works :ermm:
There are collaborators at the club and outright demons as seen at the end when demons are revealed to the world. As for what the bouncer is, I'm not sure. I'd say a collaborator or someone brainwashed by all the drugs at the club.

IncarnatedDemon

No, i don´t think he was a demon at all.

And that "planting" u mentioned.

There was MANY demons who hadnt donethat = many.

So i am very sure that the bouncer was a human.
Is there any fact backing up Mundus or Lilith has a human form because they are using a human vessel or is that just a theory u have?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
No, i don´t think he was a demon at all.

And that "planting" u mentioned.

There was MANY demons who hadnt donethat = many.

So i am very sure that the bouncer was a human.
Is there any fact backing up Mundus or Lilith has a human form because they are using a human vessel or is that just a theory u have?
I didn't think they had human forms. They don't. They're borrowing humans bodies, putting their 'souls' in them and using them as vessels to live in the human world.

Edit: Having said that, Mundus for sure put his soul in Kyle Ryder's body, but Lilith, I'm not sure. Her human form is being held together by corsets, so is her demon body in a human skin?

Top Bottom