• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Check out Dante's new look

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
No more smoke and mirrors, Mac. You need to stop reaching for low-hanging fruit.

I don't need a translation for an english-spoken slide show when I was on a forum discussing the shots as the story broke during GDC.

The purpose of the slide show was to show their "evolution" of the character, showing what Dante IS NOT and what he IS, in their estimation. It was a wonderful demonstration of how NT misunderstands the whole IP.

View attachment 604

That's where the disingenuousness comes from; at the beginning of the slide show they demonstrated images of the Dante they initially posited to Capcom before 2010, but then made a song and dance about how "normal" and "not audaciously anime" the Dante they settled on was, and then decided to change their Dante into the old version by the end of the game, caving in to fan pressure and invalidating their every claim up to that point.

The fruit isn't low hanging. They lie on the ground all around us, because the tree is dead.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know,I would like for it to come back,I have the feeling that they would make it look more like the old series but with some improvement,which would be nice. And if they don't,well,I don't really care...I just want this series to be finished in a decent way.
As would I.

But think about this:

Let's say that DmC2 had 60 fps (but with the graphics quality lowered because that would be the only possible way to run both Limbo and 60 fps), lock-on, harder difficulty (much harder), and much faster gameplay.

You know as well as I do that the fans of the old games would never allow it, no matter how many improvements were made.

"Oh, but they didn't do 'so-and-so' and it still plays like ****!" (even when it really doesn't, due to the improvements)

I don't care about either series (as I have stated multiple times), but I like the idea of an action game competing with DMC3 (don't talk to me about DMC4, I have no interest in it) with all the gameplay features I mentioned above.

The old fans will simply not let go. And that's horrible, in my opinion. Which is why I think that the old DMC series will most likely come back. It's all due to fan demand.

Having DmC2's story finished would be a nice idea. But I'm not even sure if they can get it off the ground, at this point.

Edit:
The fruit isn't low hanging. They lie on the ground all around us, because the tree is dead.
Yes. The tree is indeed dead and gone. But they were not calling the old Dante gay. They weren't.

I don't remember what they said in the Japanese text, but someone here most likely will.

And if DmC (and everything around it) is as dead as you (and even I) say it is, why are you still making such a big deal of things? It will most likely not come back as a result of all this.

As would I.

But think about this:

Let's say that DmC2 had 60 fps (but with the graphics quality lowered because that would be the only possible way to run both Limbo and 60 fps), lock-on, harder difficulty (much harder), and much faster gameplay.

You know as well as I do that the fans of the old games would never allow it, no matter how many improvements were made.

"Oh, but they didn't do 'so-and-so' and it still plays like ****!" (even when it really doesn't, due to the improvements)

I don't care about either series (as I have stated multiple times), but I like the idea of an action game competing with DMC3 (don't talk to me about DMC4, I have no interest in it) with all the gameplay features I mentioned above.

The old fans will simply not let go. And that's horrible, in my opinion. Which is why I think that the old DMC series will most likely come back. It's all due to fan demand.

Having DmC2's story finished would be a nice idea. But I'm not even sure if they can get it off the ground, at this point.
I would like them to come back. It's sad they made a reboot for a series that it's not even finished, they could have done that after finishing it.
With the gameplay of DMC3 it would be awesome,but I was talking about character's personalities and relationships.Seeing the way this reboot ended I have a feel it might become just like the old DMC,but what made many angry it was how they started the reboot,this is something that make fans so angry,but they failed to see that by the end of it Dante becomes Dante and Vergil becomes Vergil.
I don't like to let go to something I like,but most of all I don't like to leave things unfinished,and if they do this,let's say they're not very professional.DMC is something Capcom made a lot of money on,and letting go of it in such a state would be a disaster for their financial situation.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine

You do realise that transforming environments in real time are far from an impossibility at a high graphical level. Hell, it's been possible since 99', on PS1 hardware, with no framerate stutter whatsoever.

View attachment 605

And what's more, In Soul Reaver it was a gameplay feature that informed every action the player took, not an expensive excuse for floating platforms. If DmCLimbo made any kind of impact on gameplay other than QTE platforming sequences, I'd be happier.

Besides, I'd like to see the computing degree that proves you know for an incontrovertible fact that Limbo couldn't possible be rendered at 60fps by more talented programmers and a better game engine.

Post proof dude. It's all very well to make up a strawman in your brain who wouldn't be happier with a better DmC, but the fact that everyone on this forum is gleeful to describe what they would have wanted from the game proves what you describe is a minority at the very least.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
That was taken out of context. Crush translated what they said multiple times.
Unknown I found it, Crush's post with the translation:

Well it seems from the Japanese famitsu article that...
Firstly Capcom said to NT "Make a Dante that is western cowboy style."
This greatly puzzled Tani alessandro because he thought "Isn't Dante already western!?"
From this request of Capcom he began to gather parts which makes a Dante that is defferent from the original but still cool.
And as the major elements to create him was the themes of "Basic, simple, attractive, grounded." Not crazy, stylish.
Like this.
l_51556bb27a7a2.jpg

*The picture of cowboys with Dante of DMC4. Is not a mockery. It's simply a demonstration that DMC4 Dante was actually NEVER western at all in the first place by comparing them.

----

Back on subject, I wish there was a way to make more costumes in the mods, something like the outfit Dante wears in DMC1, I Iiked that one since the DMC3 costume in DmC did always look like that one from behind.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@ Macabre

Fine. When DMC2 comes out will all the features I mentioned, I just hope that no one will have any reason to complain from that point on.

"A strawman in my brain?"

Was that really necessary? Why attack me on this if I don't even care about DmC? I already told you, it's the attitude of the fans that I have a problem with, nothing else.

Comments like that will only validate my claims... chief.

I really am trying to come across as reasonable here. You don't need to be aggressive about this. DmC is over and done with anyway. There's no need to even continue this conversation... especially if you're going to be hostile about it.

Edit:

Unknown I found it, Crush's post with the translation:

Well it seems from the Japanese famitsu article that...
Firstly Capcom said to NT "Make a Dante that is western cowboy style."
This greatly puzzled Tani alessandro because he thought "Isn't Dante already western!?"
From this request of Capcom he began to gather parts which makes a Dante that is defferent from the original but still cool.
And as the major elements to create him was the themes of "Basic, simple, attractive, grounded." Not crazy, stylish.
Like this.
l_51556bb27a7a2.jpg

*The picture of cowboys with Dante of DMC4. Is not a mockery. It's simply a demonstration that DMC4 Dante was actually NEVER western at all in the first place by comparing them.
And there you have it, Macabre. It was all taken out of context. Calm down.

Edit:

Thank you, Acorn. I really appreciate the effort on your part.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I don't remember what they said in the Japanese text, but someone here most likely will.

They didn't just show that slideshow in Japan, they showed it off at multiple conventions to my recollection, including GDC, which is where I believe these photos came from.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/seen-gdc-imagine-dante-in-a-western-movie/

Research a little.

Yes. The tree is indeed dead and gone. But they were not calling the old Dante gay. They weren't.
At the very least anyone who repeatedly shows off that photoshop like it's something to be proud of, and doesn't anticipate how people would see it as an intentional slight, is a the very least contemptibly stupid. The thing is that the insult was intentional; if people point out that they chose Brokeback as a way of surrepticiously implying Classic Dante was gay, NT can just say, "What, are you a homophobe or something! We didn't say being gay was bad!".

Riddle me this: Why did they choose BB over any other contemporary western-made film?

And if DmC (and everything around it) is as dead as you (and even I) say it is, why are you still making such a big deal of things? It will most likely not come back as a result of all this.

I'm not making a big deal out of it, even if I provoked a defensive tirade.

@Unknown
I feel everyone has a right to express their dissapointment or delightment especially through arguments, so of course some may vary or even angry some of us,but they're their reactions and opinions,as long as it's a civilized way,everyone can say what they think.
If they don't have any strong reasons for their opinion,just don't give them any attention. Everything has a reason.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
"A strawman in my brain?"

Was that really necessary? Why attack me on this if I don't even care about DmC? I already told you, it's the attitude of the fans that I have a problem with, nothing else.

It's not a hostile thing for me to point out; you said:

As would I.

But think about this:

...which is a gross exaggeration intended to demonize old fans.

I had hopes for DmC. It was hard keeping those hopes alive through two years of inane interviews and worrying replays of NT's previous work, but as a DMC fan I was very open to change for the better. An improved product would certainly make me feel better.

If you really weren't trying to be erroneously provocative, you could have just qualified the statement by saying that only the most hateful youtube trolls and the like would be resistant to a better DmC, not "the fans of the old games". I mean if all fans of the old games feel this way, doesn't that mean you do too?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@Unknown
I feel everyone has a right to express their dissapointment or delightment especially through arguments, so of course some may vary or even angry some of us,but they're their reactions and opinions,as long as it's a civilized way,everyone can say what they think.
If they don't have any strong reasons for their opinion,just don't give them any attention. Everything has a reason.
But that's the problem... these arguments have been presented in an way that are entirely too aggressive. And it was already presented repeatedly by multiple parties. Read what Macabre wrote up there. Note how the "tone" of his post comes off in a rather condescending manner? I'm trying to be reasonable, saying that DmC is not really a Devil May Cry game, and that I don't really care about either series -- it's just the attitude itself that I have a problem with.

I'll say this much, Macabre -- I like the idea of DmC being more like Soul Reaver (having the level design actually matter), in addition with the gameplay features that everyone wants.

The tone of your post is still inexcusable, however. I would like to end this conversation now, before it gets out of hand. I really thought we could talk about this without you resorting to your usual "subtle-insult" tactics.

You can deny that they were insults, it doesn't change the way you had presented your opinion. This ends now.

Edit:
This what comes up for edgy in the dictionary:

1. nervously irritable; impatient and anxious.
2. sharp-edged; sharply defined, as outlines.
3. daringly innovative; on the cutting edge.

Unless it's a different term entirely that I'm missing.

Hahaha...

Here's "Daria's" definition of "edgy"...

But you see the smarmy tone of voice she has? That self-righteous indignation underneath the monotone cadence of her statement? This is exactly what I'm trying to point out. "Indirect" insults can still be detected by the receiving party. Otherwise, they wouldn't have just stared at Daria after she has said her piece.
...which is a gross exaggeration intended to demonize old fans.
Keep trying to justify your actions, chief. It's obvious now that trying to escalate the situation. Reported.
Says the man who provoked him by calling him a "old man on the porch", don't go expecting people to be nice when you're a douche.
Reported for name-calling.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Hahaha...

Here's "Daria's" definition of "edgy"...

But you see the smarmy tone of voice she has? That self-righteous indignation underneath the monotone cadence of her statement? This is exactly what I'm trying to point out. "Indirect" insults can still be detected by the receiving party. Otherwise, they wouldn't have just stared at Daria after she has said her piece.
I'll pm. I brought that up in the other thread and that's closed, so I'd rather not talk about it here.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Think certain members need to wind things back a little & stop the childish name calling & the subtle insults otherwise warnings will start being handed out. There has been attempts to stop things before they escalated further I suggest you all stop here.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
The tone of your post is still inexcusable, however. I would like to end this conversation now, before it gets out of hand. I really thought we could talk about this without you resorting to your usual "subtle-insult" tactics.

You can deny that they were insults, it doesn't change the way you had presented your opinion. This ends now.

Quite frankly that's just how I write when I'm annoyed, and I'm sorry if it raises your hackles.

Keep trying to justify your actions, chief. You're still trying to escalate the situation. Reported.

Reported for name-calling.

I swear you're going to give Drakan an aneurysm. Let's just agree to disagree.

Besides, shouldn't this thread come on the mods side of the board?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Quite frankly that's just how I write when I'm annoyed, and I'm sorry if it raises your hackles.
Apology accepted. And yes, let's agree to disagree.

Edit:

Anyway, here's the thread where I agreed with the video that said "DmC should not have been Devil May Cry."

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/why-do-people-hate-dmc-devil-may-cry-so-much.15779/

And all because he presented his opinion in a well-presented, civilized, non-aggressive manner (in my opinion).

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Wow. You all are so petty.

"Oh I'm offended!"
"racially? religiously, why are you offended?"
"They made fun of Dante!"

Seriously? I feel bad for how low this fanbase fell.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Wow. You all are so petty.

"Oh I'm offended!"
"racially? religiously, why are you offended?"
"They made fun of Dante!"

Seriously? I feel bad for how low this fanbase fell.

Please don't tell me you joined this forum specifically for the purpose of provoking people, it's not a good first impression you're making.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Please don't tell me you joined this forum specifically for the purpose of provoking people, it's not a good first impression you're making.

No. I came here to see if the DMC/DmC fanbase grew a pair and got over all this hate that's been going on, but it appears I was wrong.

Top Bottom