• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How Devil May Cry to be adapted in HBO?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
@Ronin
Vergil could dress more sophisticated than Dante or Nero.

An example would be Elijah from the Originals.

Or the Necromancer from Legacies

@absolitude
Sure. He could have a more simpler look than either Dante or Vergil. Although I like his prototype look from DMC4. Ironically I prefer his concept art to his final look/characterization.

With Nero you can give him the punk rock look DmC was going for.

Althought we can save the last one for an OC ;).
That Elijah guy looks so good for Vergil base, the right mannerism and palette, would even make a perfect poster for his character in the show.

And i gotta say, CW's Nero would also have short hair, because the med length hair isn't a thing anymore nowadays. They would probably have a character that represents the current trend.

@Ronin

Here's how they could look on the CW.

Where'd you get this image btw? Who made them?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
@Ronin
You are better off hoping for a DMC show on HBO MAX. They are more likely to have a bigger budget to spend on DMC.
Same. Plus, there would be a bit more blood in there. I honestly would rather have an animated adaption of Devil May Cry. If rumors are true, the people behind the Castlevania Netflix series will be the ones to work on it. Even the CW did adapt the games, they would still be better than the Devil May Cry anime.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Same. Plus, there would be a bit more blood in there. I honestly would rather have an animated adaption of Devil May Cry. If rumors are true, the people behind the Castlevania Netflix series will be the ones to work on it. Even the CW did adapt the games, they would still be better than the Devil May Cry anime.
I'd also say some CW shows are better at love stories than 4. Just to be fair to the anime.

I think Berto was right in an earlier post. Even an HBO MAX adaptation is likely to be a loose one. Hell I'm expecting the upcoming animated series to be its own thing. Castlevania does reflect the games but it is it's own distinct take on the games.

So @Ronin should be careful what they wish for.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'd also say some CW shows are better at love stories than 4. Just to be fair to the anime.
You're not wrong and it does not bother me. Yet DMC4 had a better love story than Inuyasha, Twilight, Love Hina (most harem in general. Tenchi is still top dog), Vampire Knight, and whatever the hell 50 Shades of Grey was. The romance never actually bothered me, and the fact that Kyrie is still with Nero I find heartwarming. I always found them cute.
Hell I'm expecting the upcoming animated series to be its own thing. Castlevania does reflect the games but it is it's own distinct take on the games.
When adapting Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, they did not have much to draw from, and yet they made it work. With the adaption of DMC, not everything has to be 1-to-1 for me, so long as they carry the spirit of the games, lore, and characters.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Being better than the DMC Anime isn't that high a bar to clear. Not sure how Capcom managed to ruin an adaptation animated by Madhouse, but between the off-model moments, the "they did this better in Hellsing" bits, the complete botching of any and all characterization, the fact that you could watch a third of the total number of episodes and still not miss anything important, and the part where the dub sounds like they recorded their lines in a trash can, they sure managed to make that thing suck.

Madhouse made much better use of their skills in the Marvel Anime series including the animated Iron Man movie.

"Being fair" to the anime is a tremendous waste of time. Much like watching the anime itself is.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I guess it's better for HBO to adapt DMC in live action somehow.

The CW will probably screw up.

windleopard

Being better than the DMC Anime isn't that high a bar to clear. Not sure how Capcom managed to ruin an adaptation animated by Madhouse, but between the off-model moments, the "they did this better in Hellsing" bits, the complete botching of any and all characterization, the fact that you could watch a third of the total number of episodes and still not miss anything important, and the part where the dub sounds like they recorded their lines in a trash can, they sure managed to make that thing suck.

Madhouse made much better use of their skills in the Marvel Anime series including the animated Iron Man movie.

"Being fair" to the anime is a tremendous waste of time. Much like watching the anime itself is.
I do think in spite of it's many, many flaws, Madhouse anime is the best we could hope for in regards to a DMC adaptation. Especially when you consider this was before Netflix's Castlevania came along. It could and should have been much better but it also could have been much worse.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin
An HBO produced DMC show would be more serialized. Instead of standalone cases, the season would follow one big one. They could adapt the games but they could also do new cases to save budget. A mix of both stories like the Del Toro Hellboy films is ideal.

Tone-wise, it would explore sexuality more and be more violent. It could also be darker in tone but that's more optional.

It will be more closer to the reboot and probably what the upcoming animated series is.

EDIT- the Witcher from Netflix is a good enough template. Just avoid the attempts at non linear storytelling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom