• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodaius

Yea i know it seems I'm just trashing the game. But don't think I don't have reasons for doing so, And also don't think I have no positive things to say about it either.

The main reason why I'm upset is because there was really no good reason to reboot Devil May Cry, yeah I know DMC never had much going for it when it comes to the story but that could have been easily fixed.

As with most other DMC fans I am not happy with new Dante. Dante was fine, there were no problems with him whatsoever and many he was the fav video game character for many people. He was different then most main VG protagonists who are all serious all the time. He was cool and liked to goof around and toy with his enemies s a bit.

Not only that All the other characters (Lady, Trish, etc...) I know and love, I will probably never see again.

Another reason is that Ninja Theory has not had a good track record when it comes to their games. There is a huge chance they will screw this up. Yes I know the gameplay looks decent in the trailers. It was the same for Heavenly Sword and many ppl thought the actual gameplay was horrible.

There are more reasons but this link sums it all up.

http://imgur.com/0fqqP

(The biggest one for me here is that Tameem does not like "Japaneesey" things. Japan is where Devil May Cry came from)

Now here are my positive things to say about it with the little info that we have so far.

Supposedly Capcom is designing the enemies and bosses. (While I can't give them much credit on their story telling, Capcom knows how to make cool enemies.)

The newer DmC Dante model (that was shown in another thread here) does not look as bad (IMO) then the one we fist saw when they introduced the game, in fact I will say that the newer one looks waaaaaaay better then the one we first saw.

Lets say they did not screw up combat and it ends up playing pretty good. I know a lot of people hated that most recent gameplay trailer but for me all in all it was not so bad but don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's amazing either. Even tho it is running at 30 FPS the gameplay in general seems to be going at DMC 4 speed. DMC 4 was already a little slower compared to DMC 3 but many ppl still loved 4.

Now there is one thing I am neutral on. The whole Half Angel/Half Demon thing. I just don't know if I like that idea or if I hate it.

Now THAT is a good post! Instead of just being "Nyeh nyeh, it sucks!" you made some great arguements this time. Thank you for that. ^^

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Hmm...to be honest, this is what I think of DmC: Interesting character design, beautiful backgrounds, slightly slow gameplay (from the trailer, anyway). Kinda disappointing DT, wonky backstory (that they've told us so far), and crummy creator's attitude. I'm truly neutral on this guys, I think it's 50% good and 50% bad so far. I look forward to it coming out, but what's-his-face-who's-initials-are-T-and-A (I'm terrible with names) makes me want to shake him. Hard. He annoys me. I'd like DmC to come out soon, though. *prepares for the flames*

Asmodaius

Hmm...to be honest, this is what I think of DmC: Interesting character design, beautiful backgrounds, slightly slow gameplay (from the trailer, anyway). Kinda disappointing DT, wonky backstory (that they've told us so far), and crummy creator's attitude. I'm truly neutral on this guys, I think it's 50% good and 50% bad so far. I look forward to it coming out, but what's-his-face-who's-initials-are-T-and-A (I'm terrible with names) makes me want to shake him. Hard. He annoys me. I'd like DmC to come out soon, though. *prepares for the flames*

Tameem Antoniades. :p
And yes, he can at times seem somewhat like an arrogant douche.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Tameem Antoniades. :p
And yes, he can at times seem somewhat like an arrogant douche.

Thank you. ^^; *writes it down and sticky notes it to her computer screen*
He can. >_> But if he can back up that arrogance with a good game, perhaps it'll be more percieved as confidence?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
@ Lord of Darkness: how can you possibly claim that changing the main chariters species will not affect the story? i cannot think of any other single change that would have as mutch of an effect on the story

Dante supassing his father seems a bit odd but the is an explaination that doesn't require changing Dante's species. Sparda sealed his power in the temen-ni-gru 2000 years ago but Dante is not anywere near 2000 years old. that means Sparda must have survived sealing his power and lived in the human world in a weaked state. since Dante was born long after Sparda's power was sealed it is reasonable to think that few people (or demons ) have seen both Sparda's full power and Dante's power. so most of those who think Dante is stronger would be basing their opinion on Sparda's sealed state not his full power. the fact that demons who fought Sparda 2000 years ago have said the same makes it a bit more complicated but that can be explained as well. a demon of Sparda's power should be able to kill any demon with little effort yet he left a lot of enemies alive that shows that Sparda did not want to kill some of the demons he fought and was holding back (it makes sense that Sparda trying to avoid killing would use less than half of his power.) and the demons were just to arrogant to realize it. Dante on the other hand has no reason to hold back.

All of you can just keep stacking on your posts to infinity by debating and argumenting your opinions which has been reheard 100 times before, but the thing is : new DMC skeptics X new DMC lovers......with soo many useless posts it's hard to keep track on good ones ;).

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Everyone has made good points about the half angel thing.
And, after some discussion, I have accepted that 'reboot' is just another way of saying 'based off'.
I fought this war with VD before. It was exhausting and got none of us anywhere, and.the 'based off' series isn't that bad.
With that in mind, I have only one last thing to add to this thread.

Devil may cry and religion don't blend well.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
One thing I am curious about. Will the game running at 30 FPS have a massive effect on how it will play?

I think its a good bet that it will.

Considering the fact that the typical DMC gameplay has always ran at 60fps its pretty obvious that the gameplay is not going to feel 100% like the typical DMC gameplay by running at 30fps.

When it comes to the core DMC gameplay and style of gameplay it seems pretty obvious to me that 30fps is not going to cut it.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
honestly, i don't see the fps being such a big deal...the original God of War games ran at 30fps while not even TRYING to play like DMC and they still kicked ass and played very fluidly. I think everyone is just looking too much into everything and I don't see him as being arrogant by saying people want to like that game, because no one wants to hate a game. Everyone is just being so sensitive

Nicholas Vrakepedes

God of War games were indeed fluid. But they did not play as fast as DMC 3 or 4.

I admit I don't now much about hoe fps is supposed to work. But I wonder if what I am about to say is possible.

So old DMC ran on 60 FPS and the new one does on 30.

Is it possible to make those 30 frames go at the same speed as 60 frames? I guess what I'm trying to say is can they make each of the 30 frames go at .5ths of a second. If that is possible then the 30 frames will go at the same speed as the 60 frames.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@ Lord of Darkness: how can you possibly claim that changing the main chariters species will not affect the story? i cannot think of any other single change that would have as mutch of an effect on the story

Dante supassing his father seems a bit odd but the is an explaination that doesn't require changing Dante's species. Sparda sealed his power in the temen-ni-gru 2000 years ago but Dante is not anywere near 2000 years old. that means Sparda must have survived sealing his power and lived in the human world in a weaked state. since Dante was born long after Sparda's power was sealed it is reasonable to think that few people (or demons ) have seen both Sparda's full power and Dante's power. so most of those who think Dante is stronger would be basing their opinion on Sparda's sealed state not his full power. the fact that demons who fought Sparda 2000 years ago have said the same makes it a bit more complicated but that can be explained as well. a demon of Sparda's power should be able to kill any demon with little effort yet he left a lot of enemies alive that shows that Sparda did not want to kill some of the demons he fought and was holding back (it makes sense that Sparda trying to avoid killing would use less than half of his power.) and the demons were just to arrogant to realize it. Dante on the other hand has no reason to hold back.

Shall we just accept that we disagree with each other on the matter? I've made about a million points from all of this and we're just running around in circles. Right now I could easily just argue against your points with my own points, but it lacks relevancy. I'm not obliged to debate this, I simply choose to. I don't think it would change anything, that's my opinion. I have my reasons why. If you want to know more, just read the tons of posts I've put up on the Forums. Let's not run around in tedious circles asking each other questions like "why does it make a difference?" or "why wouldn't it make a difference?". The point is Devil May Cry is changing because Ninja Theory are working on it, so that means things are going to be different. Of course it may not seem like it has stuck to the story of Devil May Cry, to you perhaps. But the thing is, it isn't trying to. Ninja Theory are making their own take on this.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Shall we just accept that we disagree with each other on the matter? I've made about a million points from all of this and we're just running around in circles. Right now I could easily just argue against your points with my own points, but it lacks relevancy. I'm not obliged to debate this, I simply choose to. I don't think it would change anything, that's my opinion. I have my reasons why. If you want to know more, just read the tons of posts I've put up on the Forums. Let's not run around in tedious circles asking each other questions like "why does it make a difference?" or "why wouldn't it make a difference?". The point is Devil May Cry is changing because Ninja Theory are working on it, so that means things are going to be different. Of course it may not seem like it has stuck to the story of Devil May Cry, to you perhaps. But the thing is, it isn't trying to. Ninja Theory are making their own take on this.

i have one last question and then i'm done. you don't have to answer if you don't want to. how do you manage to say "i know it's different " and "it's not actually different " in the same post and still seem to have a valid argument? you've done it in mutiple times during this debate.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
i have one last question and then i'm done. you don't have to answer if you don't want to. how do you manage to say "i know it's different " and "it's not actually different " in the same post and still seem to have a valid argument? you've done it in mutiple times during this debate.

It's quite all right, I'll answer it. It would be rude to ignore it, since you put it so nicely. Basically what I am saying is that yes it is a change. It is different. I mean obviously, it means Dante is now half angel instead of being half human. But what I am saying is although it is different in that sense, to me it does not seem to change or make a difference to the story of Devil May Cry. That's what all my points have been about. So in a sense I am agreeing to both factors; that it is different because it's a big change, but at the same time I don't think it ruins anything we've known and loved before.

If my answer does not seem to satisfy your question, you're always welcome to ask more questions. However, I wouldn't want to drag this thing on longer than necessary.

Nicholas Vrakepedes

I dont know if any of you are fans of the Prince of Persia series but they did something that was pure genius. Ubisoft had the ongoing story with the Prince of Persia game (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones) and they still made a game (just titled Prince of Persia, but people just call it Prince of Persia 2008) that was set in an alternate universe, and then made another game for the original storyline (Forgotten Sands).

I admit that Prince of Persia 2008 was utter garbage when it came to it's gameplay. The only thing that kept me playing it was the unique art style and I really wanted to know how the story turned out.

With that said I really think that this is what Capcom should do, they can continue to work on DmC along with Ninja Theory and just say it is some kind of alternate universe, and then go back to working on a Devil May Cry with all of the characters we have come to know and love.

Yeah I know the alternate universe thing may sound a bit whack, but it's been working for Marvel comics for years and if Ubisoft can pull that off that excuse so and it worked with a game that was crap, it should definitely work for a great game like Devil may Cry.

Meg

I dont know if any of you are fans of the Prince of Persia series but they did something that was pure genius. Ubisoft had the ongoing story with the Prince of Persia game (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones) and they still made a game (just titled Prince of Persia, but people just call it Prince of Persia 2008) that was set in an alternate universe, and then made another game for the original storyline (Forgotten Sands).

I admit that Prince of Persia 2008 was utter garbage when it came to it's gameplay. The only thing that kept me playing it was the unique art style and I really wanted to know how the story turned out.

With that said I really think that this is what Capcom should do, they can continue to work on DmC along with Ninja Theory and just say it is some kind of alternate universe, and then go back to working on a Devil May Cry with all of the characters we have come to know and love.

Yeah I know the alternate universe thing may sound a bit whack, but it's been working for Marvel comics for years and if Ubisoft can pull that off that excuse so and it worked with a game that was crap, it should definitely work for a great game like Devil may Cry.
The difference with PoP 2008 is that it featured a brand new prince (who wasn't really a prince, but whatever) instead of drastically changing the old one, so the idea of it being an alternate universe worked because it had a lot of the same qualities as the original PoP games, but with a fresh coat of paint. With DmC they claim its the same Dante despite being completely different which is part of the reason why people are so "WTF?" about this game.

Nicholas Vrakepedes

The difference with PoP 2008 is that it featured a brand new prince (who wasn't really a prince, but whatever) instead of drastically changing the old one, so the idea of it being an alternate universe worked because it had a lot of the same qualities as the original PoP games, but with a fresh coat of paint. With DmC they claim its the same Dante despite being completely different which is part of the reason why people are so "WTF?" about this game.

They kept the Prince without a name theme and acrobatics but imo that is where the similarities stop.

The POP series (Sands of Time- Forgotten Sands) had fighting hordes of enemies just like any other game would.

The 2008 version made every enemy a boss fight, which got really repetitive and boring (imo).

Back to the DMC world.

I just think that this is something that Capcom can and should do. They should keep the Devil May Cry title on the game and leave it the way it is, and they should still continue to work on the original series.

There was a interview with Tameem posted today on GT.com. He basically said that Capcom just wants the story and character to be new but they want to preserve the game play.

I am aware the the Devil May Cry series does not have much of a story but they have the capability to fix that.

• They can make a game that explains Nero's origin.
  • They can make a game that explains Sparda's origin and why he just disappeared.
They can fix these and every other little holes in the DMC storyline.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
  • They can make a game that explains Nero's origin.
  • They can make a game that explains Sparda's origin and why he just disappeared.
They can fix these and every other little holes in the DMC storyline.

I agree.
There are alot of things Capcom could have done to expand upon the DMC story.

Nero's origin and a explaination on how he is related to sparda.
Sparda's origin and why he disapeared
A sequel to DMC2 explaining what happened after Dante came back from hell
I canon game that takes place during Dante's Tony Redgrave days

There were options that Capcom could have obviously chosen from as I explained above.

But instead they decided to take the easy route and hit the reboot button which IMO was a lazy move.

IMO a reboot should only be necessary if

a.There is NOTHING else to expand upon in the story

and

b.If the series in question has lost a great amount of fan support and money

None of the 2 things I listed above applies to DMC which is why I do not think it needed any sort of reboot.

ZenMarter

The King of a Forsaken Race
Well i just hope they continue and finish the story of the original dmc series before they continue the story of this reboot although it may be unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom