• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What could've happened to DMC5 and DmC2?

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
If Capcom actually listened to their fans we'd all be playing Mega Man Legends 6 right now and wondering what kind of dinosaurs will be in the 8th Dino Crisis installment.

Oh, Dino Crisis. I miss that franchise so much.

The Final Offer

Excessive outsourcing is Capcom's decision.

Did you guys know...

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

"In the home video game market, sales of more than one million units is the generally accepted standard for a major hit. Since Capcom's inception, we have created many of these titles, including Street Fighter and Resident Evil. With more than 60 titles that have sold more than one million units, Capcom stands alone in the video game industry. This page lists these hit titles by sales volume and presents packages, moving and still images, and other information about these games."

GF9000000Returns

Both of them would've had negative reactions, though DmC2 would have more since it ain't the original.

But you know honestly, I really don't care anymore. Capcom started messing up with DMC4(as a whole game) and DmC only added fuel to the fire, and I mean A LOT OF FUEL! Though if Capcom is gonna have a poll for which DMC game they should make, I'd vote for DmC2.

Well maybe if Tameem kept his mouth shut and assured the fans that the game was in good hands then maybe there wouldn't be that much drama.

Not to start a fight, but what else did he say other than the relevant "what was cool then isn't cool anymore" and "I don't care"? I never seen him say any other stuff during the pre-release of DmC. Hell, he never even implied that his Dante was better. All he was trying to say was that he was trying to make a Dante for THIS generation. And so far, it had a mixed to positive reception(based on all of the DmC pictures I see on google).

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
Not to start a fight, but what else did he say other than the relevant "what was cool then isn't cool anymore" and "I don't care"? I never seen him say any other stuff during the pre-release of DmC. Hell, he never even implied that his Dante was better. All he was trying to say was that he was trying to make a Dante for THIS generation. And so far, it had a mixed to positive reception(based on all of the DmC pictures I see on google).

Well, since Dante had a quite a fanbase, I think what sparked it was his comment on Dante not being cool anymore and being laughed out a bar for his looks followed by having Dante smoking in the early development videos after Kamiya stated that he originally intended to make Dante too cool for cigarettes. And then there was the infamous photoshopped picture of Dante with the 2 Brokeback Mountain main characters that the staff presented at GCD 2013. Sure, it wasn't Tameem, but it added insult to injury.

I only hope Capcom stays true to their word and remain working in-house.
DMC5, ftw!

GF9000000Returns

And then there was the infamous photoshopped picture of Dante with the 2 Brokeback Mountain main characters that the staff presented at GCD 2013. Sure, it wasn't Tameem, but it added insult to injury.

All of what you said is understandable, but this one is irrelevant. I said "during the pre-release". And sure, how they presented it was outta line, but they do have a point. Dante doesn't have to look like a superhero, he can look like a regular person or a bum.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
All of what you said is understandable, but this one is irrelevant. I said "during the pre-release". And sure, how they presented it was outta line, but they do have a point. Dante doesn't have to look like a superhero, he can look like a regular person or a bum.

That's the thing. Change is fine but I think they overdid it with the first few previews with him looking like he hasn't eaten in days and the awkward hairstyle. But quickly changed in the final product and fans were still not impressed with the final design. Instead of Tameem making comments like those about Dante not being "cool anymore." Or "laughed outside a bar in Tokyo" and "I don't care if the game sells millions", why not assure the fanbase that the game will be in good hands? Or that they'll be pleased to see the ending? You know, when Dante gets his *spoilers*white hair*spoilers?

According to the first novel of DMC1, Dante's appearance was due to him being a mercenary. The white hair was inhereted.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That's the thing. Change is fine but I think they overdid it with the first few previews with him looking like he hasn't eaten in days and the awkward hairstyle. But quickly changed in the final product and fans were still not impressed with the final design. Instead of Tameem making comments like those about Dante not being "cool anymore." Or "laughed outside a bar in Tokyo" and "I don't care if the game sells millions", why not assure the fanbase that the game will be in good hands? Or that they'll be pleased to see the ending? You know, when Dante gets his *spoilers*white hair*spoilers?
Honestly that sounds like fans being too sensitive to a little bit of words. Jeez, that was an embarrassing time to be a fan of Devil May Cry.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
Honestly that sounds like fans being too sensitive to a little bit of words. Jeez, that was an embarrassing time to be a fan of Devil May Cry.
While I will admit, I was one of the peeps upset with the changes, I ended up not caring
about the reboot anymore. My hate goes towards Capcom.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow is another franchise that received a westernized reboot. While I wasn't a fan of the changes, my respect for MercurySteam (developers) remained because they didn't make unnecessary comments about the previous entries.

GF9000000Returns

He did assure the fans in his developer diaries.

According to the first novel of DMC1, Dante's appearance was due to him being a mercenary. The white hair was inhereted.

It's too bad he didn't look like one in DMC4. He looked more gayer than these cowboys in Brokeback Mountains(no offense to gay people). Wearing sh!t like that in his late 30s, WTF?

Like I said again, Tameem never said or implied that his Dante is better. He did it to "fit in" the new generation. Classic Dante suited the older Capcm generation along with others like Viewtiful Joe.

Last edited:

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
He did assure the fans in his developer diaries.

Because after being burned by the drama, everyone will tune in to read up on his dev diary. Right? I know I didn't. I was 100% done with NT's bull.

It's too bad he didn't look like one in DMC4. He looked more gayer than these cowboys in Brokeback Mountains(no offense to gay people). Wearing sh!t like that in his late 30s, WTF?

I thought looked sexy in those chaps and boots. Hell, better than the final trailer trash look he ended up with in the reboot. Even Vergil's design was tons better, IMO. (Yes, I'm gay so deal with it.) :tongue:

Like I said again, Tameem never said or implied that his Dante is better. He did it to "fit in" the new generation. Classic Dante suited the older Capcm generation along with others like Viewtiful Joe.

And like I said again and again, his comments weren't necessary. That's part of the reason why he received backlash to begin with.

GF9000000Returns

Because after being burned by the drama, everyone will tune in to read up on his dev diary. Right? I know I didn't. I was 100% done with NT's bull.

And like I said again and again, his comments weren't necessary. That's part of the reason why he received backlash to begin with.

Wow, these fans really took it too personally, didn't they? Granted, he really didn't need to say that and all of us supporters took it too personal with caring too much of want the antis said about the game, but sending death threats when they haven't really done anything bad to them and making BS rumors up about how the game's gonna end, come on, WTF's that about? People need to get a life and grow some thick skin. Even if he didn't say what he said, the backlash would've been still strong.

Most of us that liked the game got over the hate, but it seems that some of the antis won't get over the fact that there was love for the game and it SOLD(not shipped) better than they expected. Not the best sales, but at least it was decent.

Last edited:

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.

I tried liking it or "getting over the hate" when I picked it up on Gamestop used for a cheaper price. After reading those praises this thing received I said "Why not?"
Popped it in and guess what? I ended disliking its dumbed down combat weird animations, story and rewritten characters.
As I expected, I wasn't impressed and changed it for a different game.

Most of us hated the game, not because we want to bash everything and do away the DmC pros, but because of how exaggerated the changes were as a DMC game overall. I mean, I beat the game in a day with no upgrades! Sure, there were some crazy fanboys out there who hated the game without even playing it. I'll admit. Blind fanboism.

The pros are no better. "You hate change," "The originals were too anime cliche and had a crap story," and the overrated "You are just mad because Dante's hair isn't white!!!!"

The Final Offer

I thought looked sexy in those chaps and boots. Hell, better than the final trailer trash look he ended up with in the reboot. Even Vergil's design was tons better, IMO. (Yes, I'm gay so deal with it.) :tongue:

Wrong. Word twisting and the hate bandwagon Capcom had going on after MML3 and Megaman Universe were cancelled only made the reboot harder to accept. There was literally a "boycott Capcom until they release a Megaman game" fiasco. All that hate for Capcom was generated towards the creation of DmC because nothing else was just recently announced.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
If Devil May Cry is dead due to the negative reactions, then it's a mission accomplished in my eyes.
Those negative reactions may have saved Devil May Cry from living on as a boring and dumbed down zombie of itself by being a causal gritty show and tell instead of a hardcore skill based action video game that it's been it's entire life.
If the reactions also caused DMC5 to be canceled then it's unfortunate but still a mission accomplished because knowing Modern Capcom they'd f**k it up anyway and Classic Dante would be ruined by dark and serious character development, the gameplay would still be dumbed down and stupidly built around the story and then Devil May Cry would still live on as a boring and dumbed down zombie of itself. Just like Resident Evil is.

I won't settle for anything less than a game that surpasses DMC4 in gameplay and DMC3 in stylish awesomeness and the return of an older DMC3/DMC4 Dante who just wants to have a good time and a good laugh, like I do.
I don't see anyone in the industry today being able to pull that off that isn't called Platinum Games or Team Ninja so I say those negative reactions gave the Devil May Cry series what it needed, a bullet to the head since that's the only way to kill a rotting zombie.
Isn't that a bit harsh? I mean, I'd rather see Devil May Cry live on, even if it fully became DmC. Look at it this way: if Devil May Cry is dead either way, you might as well give other people a chance to discover DMC. If they need to play DmC to discover DMC, that's fine. We wouldn't be playing DmC anyway, so... why would we want DmC to fail? Why would we want DmC fans to be miserable?

I agree that Capcom might f*ck DMC5 up, because they seem to have no idea what they're doing. I mean, come on, Resident Evil 5 and 6? Mega Man? They're messing stuff up left and right.
Still, I'd rather see Devil May Cry live on, especially if there is still a chance for DMC5 to be made. Whatever people may say, DMC4 was still an enjoyable game. DMC5 would no doubt be enjoyable too, and if DmC2 can be developed alongside it (by Ninja Theory), then we all get what we want.

Yeah, I would love a game that surpasses DMC3 and DMC4 in terms of gameplay, especially with combo awesomeness and combo potential. Platinum Games might be the right people for the job, since they've got the creator of DMC1 with them. It might mean a return to (and continuation of) DMC1's style.

I don't know, there could still be hope. Just because nothing was announced as TGS doesn't mean there's no way it'll ever come. I would love it if Kamiya actually started work on it, like he said he would like to someday.

Top Bottom